Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt AR / Road Bike for Tri
Quote | Reply
Looking to get a new bike, went into my local shop... to talk getting fit. Started talking triathlon bikes and the associate I was talking to recommended considering a Felt AR since you can turn the seat post and turn it into a “tri” bike. (I use this term loosely, hence the quotations) I’m just a weekend warrior and have been using my road bike for the last 10 years, so the idea intrigues me. Any thoughts on the topic as I’m more of a sprint/Olympic guy... thinking of doing a 70.3 and will probably only do one 70.3 a year, but continue to do 4 or 5 sprint/Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR / Road Bike for Tri [Triathlete1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flip the seatpost, install split nose saddle, clip on aerobars, slam stem. Consider cranks. That (and the right guidance) will get you within 1 mph of an optimized position on an IAx, for example. Biggest aero upgrade to this set up might be an aero section drop handlebar that still accepts clip on aerobars. I think the AR3 was coming with just such a bar, at least as of last year.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Mar 10, 18 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great bike. My $0.02... get a second seatpost that you have mounted to your tri saddle. Then, the exchange is just a simple seatpost swap, and you can keep both seatposts marked for their proper heights. Then, figure out a similarly easy cockpit exchange, you you can wholly convert the bike in under 10 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's probably one of the better candidates for a "dual use" bike. But, to make it really work like a TT bike, I think you need di2 so you can add shifting to the extensions. I agree with the above about getting a second seat post. Most of the higher-end versions (AR3+) come with 3T aero road bars that have enough round section in the middle to add clip-ons. If you wanted something really slick, the new Vision Metron 4D Flat M.A.S. would fit the bill.

That said, it's not a cheap proposition. For the price of a di2 AR2 plus cockpit upgrades, you could just about buy a Cervelo S2 and P2.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 10, 18 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I have the AR 5 that I upgraded and have been doing exactly what you are asking about. I also have a TT bike but sometimes I just like to race the AR. (Hilly courses) It's a very versatile bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciate it
Quote Reply