Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Graham Obree (and his bikes) in the wind tunnel!
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9H0INZ2_s

You guys get to critique both his superman and crouch positions AND the Mercedes F1 wind tunnel facility!

Dont complain about the results you did n't get from the training you did n't do.
Last edited by: DavidUK: Mar 10, 18 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: Graham Obree (and his bikes) in the wind tunnel! [DavidUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If your issues are with me, then deal with me. This has nothing to do with my ship, nothing to do with the Federation!"

----
Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was awesome, thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The CdA was impressive with his crouch position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. If you have not read the book the movie was based on you must give it a shot. Never even occurred to me that he had never been in a wind tunnel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very awesome, thanks for sharing.

The Egg was awesome, and in addition, there were bits of that original bike that were much more streamlined than what they actually put in the tunnel. Some of the times he rode it there was an airfoil "stem", and then also the single sided fork, which probably was a huge help with the Specialized Trispoke.

But damn! 0.185 for his size is pretty nuts. I have been chasing readings under .19 for years and years and years.

Also, I like Simon more and more over time. That guy is interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You beat me to posting this. Obree is a legend. His comments on the video are superb.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Graham Obree (and his bikes) in the wind tunnel! [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although Obree himself had apparently never in a wind tunnel before, the benefits of his Superman and "egg" positions have long been known. For example, Peter Keen has previously reported the impact of such alternatives on Boardman's CdA as determined during velodrome testing. There is also a peer-reviewed paper about the egg position.
Quote Reply
Re: Graham Obree (and his bikes) in the wind tunnel! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Although Obree himself had apparently never in a wind tunnel before, the benefits of his Superman and "egg" positions have long been known. For example, Peter Keen has previously reported the impact of such alternatives on Boardman's CdA as determined during velodrome testing. There is also a peer-reviewed paper about the egg position.

I felt like his clothing held the superman position back quite a bit as the front of his jersey was flapping around. Not that it would have equaled his egg position, but I would like to have seen them test the positions with a newer, better fitting, suit. Simon mentions that, and makes a guess as to what the CdA might have been in the egg position, but why not test both? Then I realized this was a bit of a commercial for Endura, and they wanted to show the benefit of their stuff. I get it, someone had to pay for all this. It's just a bit deceptive as this wasn't a true test of positions, but position and old clothing/helmets v. new.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Graham Obree (and his bikes) in the wind tunnel! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Graham Obree (and his bikes) in the wind tunnel! [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember watching Obree in a track meeting in Ghent racing Cedric Mathy in an individual pursuit a few weeks after Obree had broken the world hour record the first time. THere was a special rule that you would lose the pursuit if you got passed by your opponent. Because the track is only 166m long, and Obree was riding a giant gear that took a long time to get up to speed, Mathy's strategy was just to full on sprint from the start and try to catch and pass Obree. He caught up, got next to him, the edge of his front wheel 4 inches behind that of Obree, before gradually dropping back and getting lapped by Obree in the end. Everyone was standing on their chairs cheering for both guys... so awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Graham Obree (and his bikes) in the wind tunnel! [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thatā€™s so cool.

I recall her whole 90s ā€˜hour maniaā€™ fondly. Lots of innovation and great performances*.

Out of this we got the BC World Class Programme (Keen) and unfortunately the UCI Lugano Charter.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Last edited by: SkippyKitten: Mar 11, 18 3:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool video. It would be interesting to also know the FTP that can be generated in each position. Iā€™m sure there would be a physical limitation/cost in holding his original or super man positions that trade off against the aerodynamic benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to a wonderful little chat with him in my LBS.

For the 2nd attempt in Norway (24 hours after the first where he failed) he said that was going to hold the pace and either blackout/die (die would be rather unusual but from the look in his eye....) or get the record. He would rather die than fail.

I think you could say that was 'determined'
Quote Reply
Re: Graham Obree (and his bikes) in the wind tunnel! [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that was some of the difference between Superman and Egg. I doubt very much he was riding with power, but the tradeoff between the two might have been substantial.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Graham Obree (and his bikes) in the wind tunnel! [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone could prolly figure it out with the data. I lent the book out and it has some data charts in the back. The egg was 60 watts better but he only broke the superman position by about 5-10 watts I think. Like someone else said that was not the original bike. I think it is on display somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw the other day. Was going to post.

I went ahead and bought the book.

As an engineer and cyclist this stuff is fascinating to me.

I wish Redbull or someone would open up an ā€œunlimitedā€ time trial division.

See who can go fastest no holds bar. Just no recumbents.

I love that his homemade position with no wind tunnel and homemade bike did what it did. I also love that it proved he was an athlete after showing superman wasnā€™t that big an advantage.

It really reminds me of the Fosbury Flop story in track and field. Instead of banning it, track and field adopted it.

For safety the UCI has to draw the line somewhere, but TT you canā€™t ignore the art of aerodynamics. You donā€™t ban 130lb Colombians from hill climbs.

I dunno, the record split of best human effort and the other one isnā€™t enough. Unlimited division please!
Quote Reply
Re: Graham Obree (and his bikes) in the wind tunnel! [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
I think that was some of the difference between Superman and Egg. I doubt very much he was riding with power, but the tradeoff between the two might have been substantial.

Since Chris Boardman did ride all three positions with power we could have gotten an answer right here on the forum, if some people hadn't chased him away...
Quote Reply