Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do your swim sets compare to Josh Amberger? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zane Grothe:

Q: What is one of your favorite sets?
A: “15×200 @ 2:10 SCY, threshold, the best I’ve ever done on this set was last fall: 6×1:46, 3×1:45, 2×1:44, 3×1:43, 1×1:39”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
about same as my step back jumper compares to Durant
Quote Reply
Re: How do your swim sets compare to Josh Amberger? [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another:

4 x 100 @ 1:10 white zone (heart rate 130-150bpm)
4 x 200 @ 2:20 white zone
4 x 300 @ 3:15 pink zone (around 150 bpm)
4 x 400 @ 4:10 red zone (150-170bpm)
:54, :54, :54, :54
1:53, 1:52, 1:51, 1:51
2:49, 2:48, 2:48, 2:47
3:35, 3:35, 3:34, 3:26!
Quote Reply
Re: How do your swim sets compare to Josh Amberger? [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Well, you are not alone. That’s only a few people on the team. It is definitely the very “pointy end” of the pacing. Actually, the athlete who swam that set and those times is typically the first overall female out of the water at most of the races she does.

Are you talking about Lauren Brandon by chance? I'd imagine she'd be able to do that set...
Quote Reply
Re: How do your swim sets compare to Josh Amberger? [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. I’m talking about an AGer on the team who was a D1 distance swimmer.

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sir Herbert,

Reason #103939842 why Sutto-influenced swimmers are so strong. Just like Josh says..... Not so much about the "volume or speed" as he already has it. But it's to make sure he gets out of a 47min IM Kona swim and is just ready to go, HR low, as though he didn't do anything, and can get to work on the day.

Look forward to bringing this to our next SwimRun adventure :D

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist , Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: How do your swim sets compare to Josh Amberger? [cchristen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my Master group I am surely the weakest link but everyone is super supportive. And there are some great swimmers in that group. They understand why I want to swim mostly with paddles and pull buoy and support it and make my sets accordingly. I have come down from averaging 1:55 p 100y to now swimming around 1:36 p 100 yard average for the workout, but currently no more than 2,400.

The other day my workout was done at 2200 and it was time to warm down. But my lane neighbor Joe who was a superb swimmer in 1980 (2:04 200 fly) and is now a bit heavy can still swim well and he said. “Herbert we now swim 3x100 at 1:30 pace with a very short break.” I told him that in my last set that I included a ladder of 25 / 50 / 75 / 100 / 75 / 50 / 25 that I had to fight very hard to get to 1.35. I don’t do flip turns and usually fade towards the end. :-(

But he said he would pace me and jumped into my lane and I indeed swam 1:27 / 1:30 / 1:30. That was a victory to me :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some of the best times of some of the swimmers in that Enfinity Masters group in WSNC

This is all meters

Joe: 2:04 200 Fly

Gunther: 4:20 400 IM

Neisser: 54.2 100 Back
1992 (bronze medal)

Andrea: 25.3 50 Free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only resemblance between Josh's swimming and mine, is that quite often (not 5-6 days per week, but half my swims recently) are in the 5-6k range. This is where it ends. Maybe the other resemblance is that I am the exact same size as him, so I can't use my small stature as an excuse for not swimming faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Neisser Bent is in the USA? Did he defect? I always wondered what happened to him and silver medalist Rudolfo Falcon, his Cuban teammate.

1996, BTW, not 1992.
Last edited by: 140triguy: Mar 10, 18 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this question age-graded? I mean, Amberger is much younger, and is a pro to boot. His job is training. For masters swimmers in their 40s, as I am, it's a bit of a stretch, but I think I could give I could give it a lash. Add a conversion factor, and I'd be able to.

When I was a freshman in college, I did a set of 40 x 100 @ 1:20 long course. Run-of-the-mill. A test set it did several times was 12 x 300y @ 3:20. That was early 1990s. Yesterday, I did 3 x 2000m long course, averaging 1:30.xy at altitude. I probably could have done the set, or at least the fast ones @ 1:25. But, I'm not a pro, though I wish I could be paid to train!
Quote Reply
Re: How do your swim sets compare to Josh Amberger? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He lives here in WSNC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
In my Master group I am surely the weakest link but everyone is super supportive. And there are some great swimmers in that group. They understand why I want to swim mostly with paddles and pull buoy and support it and make my sets accordingly. I have come down from averaging 1:55 p 100y to now swimming around 1:36 p 100 yard average for the workout, but currently no more than 2,400.

The other day my workout was done at 2200 and it was time to warm down. But my lane neighbor Joe who was a superb swimmer in 1980 (2:04 200 fly) and is now a bit heavy can still swim well and he said. “Herbert we now swim 3x100 at 1:30 pace with a very short break.” I told him that in my last set that I included a ladder of 25 / 50 / 75 / 100 / 75 / 50 / 25 that I had to fight very hard to get to 1.35. I don’t do flip turns and usually fade towards the end. :-(

But he said he would pace me and jumped into my lane and I indeed swam 1:27 / 1:30 / 1:30. That was a victory to me :-)

This is the cool think about a technical sport like swimming that many of us did not do in our youth. We can still have victories....this week I set PB's in three swim events....200 IM, 400 IM, 200 fly.....the thing is, this week was the first time in my life that I timed 400IM and 200 fly and January was the first time in my life I 'raced' a 200 IM. So we can grab personal victories no matter how slow we are (for the record, they were 3:40 for 200 IM, 7:37 for 400IM, 3:31 for 200 fly)....fast for me, sloooooooow for more 10 year old age grouper swimmers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great Interview. Thank you very much.

It's impressive how much time he still spends in the water despite his skills. But I guess that is the right approach and a reason why he is so good. Play by your strength.

Again, I am impressed by what the swimmers are able to do in the pool. Kudos.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next