Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick?
Quote | Reply
I’ve seen these Ventum bikes and they look cool but I’m curious what you all think of them? I’m still a newbie to the sport and don’t need a bike like that yet but I’m saving up and planning on making the jump eventually. Would a Ventum be worth the money? Or would I be better off moving past them and going to one of the other brands?
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [mdisciple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of great options out there. Don't expect the Ventum to be materially faster (or slower) than any other modern TT bike. Personally, I like Ventum's integrated hydration. I am not, however, very keen on their cockpit or brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [mdisciple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ventum should remain an option you consider. Rode one of their demo bikes last year at IMTX. Only had a few rides on it prior to race day but it exuded confidence out on the roads. It was stable, stiff and handled well through corners and in the wind. They've recently introduced a frame at a more modest price point as well.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdisciple wrote:
I’ve seen these Ventum bikes and they look cool but I’m curious what you all think of them? I’m still a newbie to the sport and don’t need a bike like that yet but I’m saving up and planning on making the jump eventually. Would a Ventum be worth the money? Or would I be better off moving past them and going to one of the other brands?

I would much rather have a Cervelo P2/P# or Trek Speed Concept 7 series and get a lot of the great tech/aero from Cervelo/Trek and save a bunch of $$$. If you really want to go top of the line then I would go with a P5/P5x or Speed Concept 9 Series.

Not sure if you saw the following, but a long-standing ST member did an independent test last year of various bikes including the Ventum and P5x and P5. You can find the report on the ST main page here.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Mar 8, 18 20:40
Quote | Reply
i tried out 2 ventum sizes in kona due to them making their announcement, here on slowtwitch, for free trials. i liked both, but had a this-is-the-one feeling with the second one. in the end i decided to buy a ventum, so ordered one after coming home.
after a year i still really like it and still feel it fits right. and handles right. i like racing on it. it's been a great bike for me and if something happened to it i'd get another.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Well, they don't seem to be "faster", and there are some concerns regarding use on a trainer, but they sure look different and as I think pretty cool.

Ventum can handle any trainer.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not in my experience. Ventum performs perfectly fine on a trainer. it holds up well indoors or out.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never heard Ventum described as 'aesthetically pleasing' before...
I still think it's a silly bike. Better off with a P2/3/5 and not adding hydration like a 16 year old with a Civic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local mechanic hates them, and says the paint chipping is also a problem. I thought it was a dirty bike, but was chips that looked like mud splatters.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never thought it was silly, but I would never buy one. Strike 1 - I think it is ugly as sin. Strike 2 - the Mrs thinks it is ugly as sin. Strike 3 - I don't care for integrated hydration. I could add a few more strikes, but it's already out of contention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine (who is a wattmonster) rode one last year and said it felt "squishy". Agree with many that for those $$, I would probably look at other options.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That test, while sound of design (and showed pretty much the same behavior as previous tests of the bike for sponsored riders) had a huge, Ventum-only penalty.

True, it's their own fault, because they do not offer their bike with a real front end, but you cannot compete in an aero test against Super Bikes with a front end I wouldn't put on a trike for my 3 year old (everybody knows you have to use the Brezza Nano for that).

I also don't approve of the nose cone, the lid for the hydration (but they have a new model) or the shape of the front of said hydration (and I have a 3D printer to fix that). All that said, I'm still going to build one for testing pretty soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it sure does look goofy.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Ventum is a scientific advancement, what was the Lotus?
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Science fiction.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aesthetically pleasing?! Are you joking, blind or both?!

The frame looks like it's just been cut out of a sheet of plywood! The Ventum and the TriRig Omni are the two ugliest bikes on the market...
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So like the moon landing, Boardman's hour record was filmed on a sound stage?
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
Aesthetically pleasing?! Are you joking, blind or both?!

The frame looks like it's just been cut out of a sheet of plywood! The Ventum and the TriRig Omni are the two ugliest bikes on the market...

I think they're hawt.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum bikes - Scientific advancement or Aestheticly pleasing gimmick? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Along with his ride on the repainted Hotta from the Dublin prologue, undoubtedly.

(Hopefully not confusing him with Yates. My memory is a bit blurry.)

Quote Reply