Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike tubes/tires
Quote | Reply
Hey all, first time 70.3-er here. I have been doing plenty of training on an indoor trainer during the cold months, but it's warming up to the point where I'm going to start riding outdoors. My tires are just about shot at this point and I want to stock up on some good tubes. What brands/products would you all recommend?

P.S. - I'm trying to go fast, but I'm also terrified of getting a flat on the course. I can change them somewhat quickly, but I really don't want to have to. I'm willing to get a slower tire/tube combo if it means more resistance to a flat.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tubes/tires [mdisciple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental GP4000s and Silca/Vittoria latex tubes or Continental GPTT for faster tires with Silca/Vittoria latex tubes

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add to above, latex tubes are faster and generally a little more flat resistant. However, they leak C02 fast. So, carry butyl spare tubes for flat replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 to both above replies.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tubes/tires [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The primary reason for using butyl tubes for spares is because latex is much more fragile to install, especially in a race situation where time is $. A latex tube isn't going to lose enough pressure from CO2 over a couple of hours to be significant if it's fully inflated to begin with.

exxxviii wrote:
To add to above, latex tubes are faster and generally a little more flat resistant. However, they leak C02 fast. So, carry butyl spare tubes for flat replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tubes/tires [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
The primary reason for using butyl tubes for spares is because latex is much more fragile to install, especially in a race situation where time is $. A latex tube isn't going to lose enough pressure from CO2 over a couple of hours to be significant if it's fully inflated to begin with.
I agree that some folks cite installation as well. (Others have high-confidence in their latex tube installation skills.) That is part of the reason that I also have butyl for backup.

I think that C02 in latex loses about 8-10 PSI/hour. So, depending on when you get your flat and how fast you are on the bike, you could lose well north of 20 PSI during a HIM ride, and a whole crapton more during an IM bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GP 4000 SII, latex tubes, and some Latex based sealent in the tubes. Butyl tubes for spares.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Gp4000SII as mentioned already, but I save them for race week

I use some cheep Vittoria’s for training. Don’t want to wear out the nice tires on training and I also don’t use latex for training either.

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Flaer|Team Kiwami|Nuun Hydration|Honey Stinger
Twitter: @N8deck
Quote Reply