Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ADVICE WITH PICKING TRI BIKE FOR 70.3
Quote | Reply
Hello all,
Have been following the forum for some time but first time posting as just got my bike fit done using Retul and motion capture. My final results were frame stack range of 540-561 and frame reach range of 385-405. The following bikes were recommended:
M Specialized Shiv
54 Scott Plasma
54 Felt B14
Do not want to break the bank as top end of the budget is about $5500. Since there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, am looking for advice on which of these 3 bikes would be the best option...or if anyone has any other recommendation for other bikes. Am looking at DI2 either as part of the initial buy or later down the road. Due to work schedule will utilize Wahoo Kickr but try to do long rides outside every other weekend.
Thanks and look forward to the comments.
Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE WITH PICKING TRI BIKE FOR 70.3 [KRBecker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KRBecker13 wrote:
Hello all,
Have been following the forum for some time but first time posting as just got my bike fit done using Retul and motion capture. My final results were frame stack range of 540-561 and frame reach range of 385-405. The following bikes were recommended:
M Specialized Shiv
54 Scott Plasma
54 Felt B14
Do not want to break the bank as top end of the budget is about $5500. Since there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, am looking for advice on which of these 3 bikes would be the best option...or if anyone has any other recommendation for other bikes. Am looking at DI2 either as part of the initial buy or later down the road. Due to work schedule will utilize Wahoo Kickr but try to do long rides outside every other weekend.
Thanks and look forward to the comments.

your setup / accessories / storage is going to be important. shiv has the internal bladder thingy, plasma has top tube mounts for bento, and the felt just has standard water bottle mounts in the main triangle.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure the frame is Di2 compatible and know where you will mount the battery. Is a power meter included in the budget?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some initial thoughts...
  • What are all the things you want to get in that $5,500 spend? Does it include wheels, power meter, Di2 (you mentioned), aero helmet, any other gear?
  • What is your appetite for maintenance and support? There are a few very good direct-to-consumer bikes (Canyon & Premier) that deliver a crapton of value under $5,500. Your local store would probably support you after the purchase. But, you would get the bike in hand and maybe some initial assembly.
  • The B14 is an outlier compared to the other 3. It is a lower-performing grade of bike, but it is high value.
  • The Shiv is also a slight outleir. It is one of the slowest of the fast grade of bikes. Folks are hoping that the next gen Shiv will be released any minute now. So, it could be out of date, but it has some cool features.
  • I would recommend buying the fastest frame (that fits you) as possible, because everything else is relatively easy to upgrade.
  • For $5,500, I would max the frame with Di2. Then, you could add fast wheels and a PM later. Those two are easy to upgrade with minimal disruptions or loss of prior investment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what is posted here. If you can, get DI2 now since its at least 1,000.00 to upgrade later, if you do the work yourself. More if LBS does the work.

PM and wheels later.

I just got a great deal on a IA16 that I am converting to DI2 myself, but I already had parts from previous DI2 bikes. The IA is a solid platform to build from if you plan to upgrade later to DI2. But the IA10 has DI2 and blows most of your budget, so up to you on how to roll.

Race safe!

Dennis
Quote Reply