Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TriRig Alpha X -> front Omega X without cable housing?
Quote | Reply
When running brake cable from the left brake lever to the front Omega X brake, do I need cable housing at all? I just finished routing it with housing and the cable stop, but the almost-90-degree turn it has to make is definitely stressing the housing and also making it hard to put the cable cover on.

Do I need the housing at all? Can I just run bare brake cable? Should I use a noodle?

Thanks!

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X -> front Omega X without cable housing? [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't like the idea of running bare cable inside the bar. I had to play around with the length of housing a few times. I think if you mess with it a little, there is enough open space in the bar to gradually bend the housing down through the cable stop (rather than a hard 90 degree bend). That's where I ended up, and the brake works freely/smoothly.

I can send pics sometime if you send an email or phone.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X -> front Omega X without cable housing? [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you need brake housing. This is not optional.

I had an alpha x and was able to run brake cable to the cable stop. Getting the length right wasn't too tricky and I think that there was a little room for cable bend. Fortunately brake housing is more flexible than gear housing.

As for the 'cable cover', are you just referring to the orange housing stop on the base bar, or a standard brake housing ferrule? I don't actually think that a brake housing ferrule is needed in this case (the orange housing stop is needed, of course).

Once set up, braking with the Omega x was fine with no noticeable drag from the tight bend in cable housing.

asellerg wrote:
When running brake cable from the left brake lever to the front Omega X brake, do I need cable housing at all? I just finished routing it with housing and the cable stop, but the almost-90-degree turn it has to make is definitely stressing the housing and also making it hard to put the cable cover on.

Do I need the housing at all? Can I just run bare brake cable? Should I use a noodle?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X -> front Omega X without cable housing? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll just stick with the bent housing.

By cable cover I meant the plastic piece from the Alpha X that gets screwed on over the front compartment.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In that case, the cable cover will fit. I think it's just a matter of getting the brake housing length correct.

asellerg wrote:
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll just stick with the bent housing.

By cable cover I meant the plastic piece from the Alpha X that gets screwed on over the front compartment.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X -> front Omega X without cable housing? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theoretically, should the distance (distance from brake to cable stop) be the pretty close to the same for everyone regardless of setup? Has anyone found the "ideal" length of brake cable housing? I ask because I am about to do this same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X -> front Omega X without cable housing? [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if you’re using the same brake levers.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply