Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Remove drying workout clothes smell from office
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have tips for removing the smell from drying workout clothes from an office? I commute to work via bicycle 2-3 days a week, and in the winter it takes me 1.5 hours to do so. I put my bicycle in my office , and have a boot/sock dryer that I lay my clothes on to help dry quickly. Due to the long commute and wearing layers in the winter, my base layer can get pretty wet. I've noticed that when I come into my office after leaving for a meeting it can smell. My office door is left open all the time, and I have an HVAC vent in there, so it's constantly getting semi-fresh air. I don't notice the smell within a minute of being in the office, but if I'm smelling it - I'm sure my co-workers are too!

In the summer this can be worked around by just bringing a spare set of cycling gear to ride home with, but the winter is hard with all the layers. My backpack is heavy enough that adding a full set of base layers would be a big inconvenience. Does anyone have experience with air purifiers like this to combat wet workout clothes smell? How about an odor eliminator like this?

Help!

- Stinky office worker
Quote Reply
Re: Remove drying workout clothes smell from office [rexnebula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just PM'd you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gonzo stuff doesn't work. At least it didn't on my sailboat when I was trying to get rid of some odors in a locker area.

The other thing may work. You really don't need anything that has a hepa filter. That just filters dust. The carbon filter is what traps the odors. If you do get one, it would work best if you kept your door shut. With the door open, you are effectively trying to clean the air in the entire office.
The supply hvac grille in your office is pressurizing your office. With the door open, it's taking the air in the office and forcing it out the door. If you put any sort of filtration in your office, it will get pushed out he door with the rest of the air. Keeping your door shut would trap everything in your office and help clean it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could also try an oil diffuser with either eucalyptus, orange, frankensence, peppermint, etc. to name a few.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggested from those who posted and PM'd me. I'm going to try a few out and report back when I find something successful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this will help you, but I put regular teabags in my shoes to remove smells which work surprisingly well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you have a dryer in the office, I would suggest rinsing them out thoroughly before they dry, that will help keep the bacteria down, and help rinse out the uric acid and sweet. Of course that is assuming the dryer would get the rinsed out clothes dry in time.
Quote Reply
Re: Remove drying workout clothes smell from office [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suggesting incense. Many different kinds of varieties. Not sure if you can burn anything in an office without a smoke detector going off though..
Quote Reply
Re: Remove drying workout clothes smell from office [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the solution. I know because I was having the same issue. Now I rinse my clothes in water in the bathroom before hanging them to dry. Totally fixed the problem.

The fact you’re force drying them probably isn’t helping either, but i would say rinsing will fix your problem. If not, I’d stop force drying them and just hang dry.

tyme wrote:
Since you have a dryer in the office, I would suggest rinsing them out thoroughly before they dry, that will help keep the bacteria down, and help rinse out the uric acid and sweet. Of course that is assuming the dryer would get the rinsed out clothes dry in time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried Febreeze?

Are your clothes cotton or poly? I've noticed for myself that some of my poly clothes reek after I sweat in them. There have been studies about this ..

https://www.npr.org/...ter-in-a-special-way

I also dry my workout (cotton, shorts are poly) clothes in the office and have no probs with smells.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this old HIND thermal top that my wife hates--the smell never leaves it, even after washing in ANY anti-stink anything solution. I've put it outside in the winter to freeze away the smell, tried all the athletic workout soaps I could buy & nothing works. We call it the "perma-stink shirt"--no other clothes I have does this. Must be the material HIND used back then around 2000 or 2001'ish when they were still around. It is just like new in that, not a thread is damaged or worn. Probably the BEST built made in USA or anywhere shirt I own. I miss the HIND brand, it was good stuff. Thread officially derailed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Deodorall Spray. It is formulated for hockey gear but can be used on clothing also.

Cannondale Slice 08
look keo pedals
fizik k3 arione saddle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you put your clothes somewhere else to hang? Like in a storage room or something not so obvious? We have bike racks in common areas like stair ways where I'm at and people usually hang their gross stuff directly on the bikes :-P!
Quote Reply
Re: Remove drying workout clothes smell from office [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
people usually hang their gross stuff directly on the bikes

Those poor bikes. They have feelings too.
Quote Reply
Re: Remove drying workout clothes smell from office [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you tried adding vinegar when you wash it
Quote Reply
Re: Remove drying workout clothes smell from office [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daswafford wrote:
Could you put your clothes somewhere else to hang? Like in a storage room or something not so obvious? We have bike racks in common areas like stair ways where I'm at and people usually hang their gross stuff directly on the bikes :-P!

I was thinking that too. or in some sort of sealed container with some baking soda or something
Quote Reply