Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tub Remodel
Quote | Reply
Ripping out a bathroom that has an over-sized oval tub with ceramic tile surround and a glass enclosed stall shower right next to the tub. We were contemplating replacing the tub with a free-standing tub.

Currrently the hot and cold water supply is in the wall and the drain is in the floor right below the faucet. Most of the freestanding tubs seem to drain in the middle, requiring a move of the current drain. The floor is slab on grade so relocation of the drain would suggest some chisteling of the concrete floor. As an alternative I was thinking of building a 4" platform of wood frame construction (covered with tile) to act as kind of a raceway or small crawl space for the plumbing.

We would prefer to keep the bathroom floor all at one level and avoid the platform but opening up the slab floor seems 1) a mess 2) pricey.

Suggestions?

Re: Tub Remodel [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Move to a new house. Seriously, I say that as someone who's going on Week 7 of 'camping out' in our basement/garage (and having the entire family share our smallest and only remaining bathroom w/ my teenage daughter) while pretty much the entire main floor upstairs is being renovated. The wife is beyond tired of me reminding her every time she finds something new to complain about that this was almost entirely elective; she asked for this...

Or... I'd bite the bullet and bust open the slab. More mess and expense? Almost certainly, but mess is temporary and money will eventually get spent on booze & strippers anyway (or else just wasted), so might as well do it right the first time and enjoy it more later, as long as you still plan to live in the same house long enough to feel like the initial pain has been sufficiently amortized.

Part of our kitchen remodel involved moving a window, which in turn meant moving our electrical meter ~ which in turn necessitated upgrading our entire electric feed from the street to the house to meet the current code to get our permits signed off. Of course we could have just left the window where it was and avoided all the rest of the associated BS, but then we'd have to live w/ the half-assed remodel forever instead of getting it done the way we really wanted in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: Tub Remodel [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a new house for us, approximately two blocks from the old one. It is empty and we will live in the existing house until it is done. Thus, the logistical nightmare you describe is minimized.

Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Ripping out a bathroom that has an over-sized oval tub with ceramic tile surround and a glass enclosed stall shower right next to the tub. We were contemplating replacing the tub with a free-standing tub.

Currrently the hot and cold water supply is in the wall and the drain is in the floor right below the faucet. Most of the freestanding tubs seem to drain in the middle, requiring a move of the current drain. The floor is slab on grade so relocation of the drain would suggest some chisteling of the concrete floor. As an alternative I was thinking of building a 4" platform of wood frame construction (covered with tile) to act as kind of a raceway or small crawl space for the plumbing.

We would prefer to keep the bathroom floor all at one level and avoid the platform but opening up the slab floor seems 1) a mess 2) pricey.

Suggestions?

Do it right, or don't do it.

We are remodeling our kitchen, but the sink wouldn't fit where we want it because of the plumbing. The contractor could run the pipes outside the wall and they would still be hidden by the new cabinets, but I would know it's half assed, so we ripped out the wall to do it right.

Good thing too, cause they found, you guessed it, mold. ugh. A whole new problem. All the walls came tumbling down, but at least we know it's right and we don't have mold

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd bust the floor and do it right. Probably not that much more expensive. A few hours of labor.
Quote Reply
Re: Tub Remodel [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J-No wrote:
I'd bust the floor and do it right. Probably not that much more expensive. A few hours of labor.

This!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for busting out the concrete and doing it right.

You will have to look at the platform and feel shamed by it if you don't...

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bust out a concrete eraser, move the drain, pour back the slab.
If your slab is post tensioned, do not cut the tenon.
Last edited by: Bumble Bee: Feb 27, 18 15:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sledgehammer the slab. The concrete will break easier than you think. Cut the drain line, there will be a “P-trap” where the old drain was. Move the “P-trap” to the new location. Measure the distance and add a new chunk of PVC, I would use schedule 80 for strength. Use a coupler on either end of the new section. Put stone around the drainpipe after it’s glued and in place. Cover the stone with plastic. Then cover with concrete.

If you tile over the slab, easy done, just trowel out the thin set over the concrete and put down your tile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Busting out the slab isn't a big deal at all. I trenched out maybe a 40' long, 16" wide trench in my basement for plumbing in a half day. Rented a walk behind concrete saw from HD which was cheap, had a helper with a shop vac sucking up the slurry behind me, and the cutting was done in under an hour. Busting up the rest with a sledge hammer was easy-peasy. The work needed in your project is much less labour intensive then that.

Do it right the first time. A step going up to your tub will look ridiculous.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said..
You can go to local HDepot and rent a Bosch electric jackhammer, comes with rental set of chisel attachments.
Runs off regular household current.
Not that hard or messy. Actually, you might find it kind of fun.
A quick search of youtube will probably bring up some good DIY videos.
Closing things back up with concrete patch is not hard either. Go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you never regret doing things the right way when it comes to big projects like this. Either skip it entirely, or put the effort/money into it to do it correctly. In the end, I think the risk of problems that end up costing more to fix than the original project would have cost, is not worth it.
Quote Reply