Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Patriotic or pathetic?
Quote | Reply
I was walking into the supermarket and noticed a car had one of the windo held American flags. At first my thought was how cool that was, since I haven’t really seen them since 9-11.

As I looked at it noticed the flag was torn to shreds. All that was really left was the stars and some of red and white stripes.

I was kinda peeved. They were trying to be so patriotic and all they were doing was disrespecting the flag.

So, patriotic or pathetic?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Patriotic or pathetic? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathetically patriotic

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
I was walking into the supermarket and noticed a car had one of the windo held American flags. At first my thought was how cool that was, since I haven’t really seen them since 9-11.

As I looked at it noticed the flag was torn to shreds. All that was really left was the stars and some of red and white stripes.

I was kinda peeved. They were trying to be so patriotic and all they were doing was disrespecting the flag.

So, patriotic or pathetic?

What is the political message supposed to be? Sounds like he's trying to say that the USA is quite divided at the moment, which I'm sure most people wouldn't disagree with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what was in the mind of this guy, but, be careful in making judgments.

Permit me to share a story. Several years ago, when I left the Army, I brought with me an American flag that my unit had flown in the Gulf. I made a promise to my buddies I would fly that flag until they all returned home. That promise became even more important when I lost my best friend to an RPG and still had other friends over there.

My house has a very large flagpole. I installed a light so the flag could be flown at night. The flag had been through a lot, including a number of sand storms. It was not in pristine shape, but, it was well cared for. I had it repaired twice, but, it was certainly showing its age.

There is a local fair that operates on my road every year. We have close to 20,000 people up and down the street. During that fair, a police officer knocked on my door. The officer explained that an older gentleman had complained about my flag. He found it disrespectful for me to be flying a worn flag. Now, it was not in tatters, but, it was quite worn. (Why the police were involved with this, I don't know).

I was furious, then devastated. I explained the background to the officer. The officer, a vet himself, got a tear in his eye (I was tearing up at that point), then apologized.

I made a small sign explaining the flag and mounted it in front of the flag pole. I flew that flag non-stop until the last guy in my unit came home. Then, I took it to a local VFW post for a proper retirement.

Fortunately, there was no LR back then to report my "disrespectful" flag.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Patriotic or pathetic? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
be careful in making judgments.

Good rule. I try, but always f' it up. Might have to try to quit judging at all.

Thank you for sharing your story.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply