Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons
Quote | Reply
Hello. I currently wear and rotate between a pair of Asics Kayano's and Brooks Transcend. I am an over pronator.
I have worn Ascics Kayano's during training, long course triathlons and marathons for years with no real problems.
My question is:

1) While I've had good luck with Kayano's, they definitely feel heavy, can anyone recommend a lighter shoe that would be better strictly for sprint triathlons?

2) In anyones real world experience, do lighter shoes mean faster run splits during shorter events such as sprint/5K?

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [rsb454] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsb454 wrote:
Hello. I currently wear and rotate between a pair of Asics Kayano's and Brooks Transcend. I am an over pronator.
I have worn Ascics Kayano's during training, long course triathlons and marathons for years with no real problems.
My question is:

1) While I've had good luck with Kayano's, they definitely feel heavy, can anyone recommend a lighter shoe that would be better strictly for sprint triathlons?

2) In anyones real world experience, do lighter shoes mean faster run splits during shorter events such as sprint/5K?

Thanks for your help.

Double pronged spear here. If you have biomechanical issues or serious form issues, you won't get the support needed from a shoe like the Kanyo. Without seeing you run it is hard to say. That said, yes, a ligher more neutral shoe would provide a quicker turnover. You also need to look at heel to toe drop of what works--a closer to zero drop shoe for me increased my injury rate a ton. I like a somewhat supportive neutral shoe that is light (like the Adidas Adios Zero line). Great cushion, light weight, decent drop to work off of. Your times should be a bit faster with a lighter shoe in general if you're like most of the population out there.

Maybe start with a lightweight trainer shoe first. If you like the ASICS line, try the Dynafltye (about 2 oz less) or the Noosa FF 2 (a triathlon specific shoe). See how those work before jumping to the sub-8 oz. shoes, you may find this is all the lower you can go without a support or cushioning issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [rsb454] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might look at some of the new balance offerings. I've heard good things about the 1500v4/1500t2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had been using zoot for many years until i finally tries the soucony fastwitch 8 which have a "hint of support" and at a 13 size still very light just enough support and comfy up to 10miles.

I have been aching quite a bit when going past that distance which is understandable as it's rated good up to 10k distance FYI.

I got the black and blue pairs going at this moment and if you haven't had said low drop shoe make sure you start slow and careful with your mileage with those shoes, calf, heels, forefoot & achilles tendon will be tender until you get adjusted to the lower drop

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rsb454 wrote:
My question is:

Thanks for your help.

Definitely quicker in lighter racing flats. I'm neutral, so not sure about racing flat recommendations for over-pronators, but I race in asics Hyperspeeds. The are about half the weight of your Kayanos and about 30% lighter than my previous shoes - Noosas. Not only do I run faster, but I feel I run more efficiently and naturally. They feel great to run in.

But I agree with Rocky, I think a lot of people would struggle if they went from something like a 320gm shoe to a 170gm racing flat. When I first ran in my hyperspeeds, I made it 6 kms before I had to stop and limp home. My calves were so sore. I then had 2 weeks of the worst DOMS and a week after tore my calf. I guess it had been weakened when I first ran in them. That season, I only used them for sprints, then eventually an OD and this season ran my first HM in them with no issues. I'm probably going to run a marathon in them in June. I did almost give up on racing in them because of the issues and I'd imagine a lot of people simply can't run in them.

If you've had a few running injuries especially things like calf and achilles issues I'd be careful. Maybe get some racing flats and do some interval training in them first, then a 5km run on grass and go from there.

Quote:

Double pronged spear here. If you have biomechanical issues or serious form issues, you won't get the support needed from a shoe like the Kanyo.

Maybe start with a lightweight trainer shoe first. If you like the ASICS line, try the Dynafltye (about 2 oz less) or the Noosa FF 2 (a triathlon specific shoe). See how those work before jumping to the sub-8 oz. shoes, you may find this is all the lower you can go without a support or cushioning issue
Last edited by: zedzded: Feb 25, 18 17:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m partial to the Merrell Bare Access series. I’ve had good luck with them up to marathon distance. I’ve haven’t tried this years model yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics DS Trainer
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We found adding 100 grams to the shoe increased the aerobic demand of running by 1 precent. Now 100 grams is about 3.5274 ounces, so each ounce changes the cost of running about 0.2835% (1/3.5274= 0.2835). If you can run a mile in 5:40, that is going 284 meters per minute and that speed of running typically coasts about 55.55 ml O2 per Kg body weight per minute. One less ounce will change the cost to about 55.7075 (from 55.55 above) and that VO2 will be associated with a running speed of 284.7 m/min and a mile time of 5:39.17, so about .83 seconds for a mile, per ounce less weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
We found adding 100 grams to the shoe increased the aerobic demand of running by 1 precent. Now 100 grams is about 3.5274 ounces, so each ounce changes the cost of running about 0.2835% (1/3.5274= 0.2835). If you can run a mile in 5:40, that is going 284 meters per minute and that speed of running typically coasts about 55.55 ml O2 per Kg body weight per minute. One less ounce will change the cost to about 55.7075 (from 55.55 above) and that VO2 will be associated with a running speed of 284.7 m/min and a mile time of 5:39.17, so about .83 seconds for a mile, per ounce less weight.

Who is we? How many individuals were used to gather this data? Does body weight skew the data? What about the person who runs 7:15 miles, is more time per mile saved at those types of speeds? Lots of variables not addressed there...ambitious to put one number on it like that and think that'd hold true for everyone.

I would guess those figures would vary person to person based on differences in strength, running form, and physiological differences. I personally think, based on my experience and feel, lighter shoes are worth more than .83 seconds per mile per ounce saved.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Who is we? How many individuals were used to gather this data? Does body weight skew the data? What about the person who runs 7:15 miles, is more time per mile saved at those types of speeds? Lots of variables not addressed there...ambitious to put one number on it like that and think that'd hold true for everyone.

I would guess those figures would vary person to person based on differences in strength, running form, and physiological differences. I personally think, based on my experience and feel, lighter shoes are worth more than .83 seconds per mile per ounce saved.

Yeah it was just some random thing I pulled from google. I'd imagine some heavy, out of shape guy is going to see zero change with racing flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to take this too far off topic, but what are you using now that the hyperspeeds are discontinued? I used the noosafast shoes, which I'm fairly certain were a similar shoe, but that series is now discontinued as well. All the asics shoes now seem to be heavy with 10+mm of drop.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Not to take this too far off topic, but what are you using now that the hyperspeeds are discontinued? I used the noosafast shoes, which I'm fairly certain were a similar shoe, but that series is now discontinued as well. All the asics shoes now seem to be heavy with 10+mm of drop.

Hyperspeeds are only a season old and only used for racing so will be in them for a while. Not sure what the average mileage is for them? When they do need replacing I'll probably try and find some hyper-speeds or hypertris online. Don't really want to try a different shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree that the Fastwitch might be a shoe for the OP to look at.

I however have run much further than 10 miles in them but I'm pretty small.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would go to a addidas tempo 9- I ran considerably faster in these after training in kayano ‘s for years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Balance 1400V4! Loved running in them, light (210g or so) and responsive but still quite cushioned. Used them for my half marathon as well. Now ordered the Saucony Type A8 which is even lighter but didn't get to try them yet as I'm sidelined for now :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always liked the Saucony Fastwitch. They're pretty light and have a slight bit of stability built in. I've used them from 5K up to half marathon distance with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also run in Kayanos: 19 & 22s. it's weird the 19s feel so much lighter than the 22s. I also have Hokas: Gaviota for distance and Arahi for races. I've tried lighter, but at my weight it is too bruising, so I need more support & cushion. Maybe also try Brooks GTS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you make a radical change in weight you'll likely also radically change stack height and chushioning (and drop, since you're in 10mm high heels now). That means that you will either have to work your way up slowly, or keep your mileage and seriously risk injury.

Consider doing a half-way compromise now and a further reduction in weight/bulk a few months later if everything works out. Maybe something like a Saucony Liberty ISO, Skechers Forza 3 or Newton Motion (which is the riskier of the three options if lowering mileage wrecks your racing plans).
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the tongue like on the A8? Hard to tell from pics. Looks like it might have a sharp edge. Possible trouble with barefoot, fast transitions? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [fletcherandrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fletcherandrew wrote:
I've always liked the Saucony Fastwitch. They're pretty light and have a slight bit of stability built in. I've used them from 5K up to half marathon distance with no issues.

Again, not to derail the thread but has anyone found anything similar to the Fastwitch series? I love them but I'd like to switch it up every now and again and they're often expensive!

Twitter: @SNFindlay | Athlete with Hartree Jets | Blog

Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for lighter shoes for sprint triathlons [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MVM wrote:
What is the tongue like on the A8? Hard to tell from pics. Looks like it might have a sharp edge. Possible trouble with barefoot, fast transitions? Thanks

Sorry, completely forgot to reply.. The tongue feels ok, no real issues there for me. Shoe is super light to run in, maybe a bit too light for my taste. But up to 5k should not be an issue running without socks, it's super easy to put on with lock laces.
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: May 13, 18 21:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Vapor Fly 4%?
Quote Reply