Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New saddle--bike fit--knee pain
Quote | Reply
I'm currently riding my tri bike indoors on my kickr. I was professionally fit on the bike and had no issues with the fit. However, I didn't love the saddle, so last week I swapped my ISM PS 1.1 for a PN 1.0 (slightly narrower, slightly longer, slightly less padding). I did a few rides on it while making minor adjustments to the position, during which I experienced minor pains in my right achilles and knee (things like this always affect me right side, never my left). Those minor pains felt like slight swelling/tension.

I really like the new saddle, I feel strong and comfortable in the aero position. The saddle nose is in the same position with respect to the BB as the old (probably off by very small amount due to measurement error), but the new saddle is angled downward more than the old was. Yesterday I did 2.5 hours (I rode well and was very pleased) but by the end I had a different pain in my knee. It's an acute pain in the muscle just inside of the knee cap. It did not seem to affect my ride nor my short brick run. Walking around is fine, but going up/down stairs hurts. Today it is less acute but still painful. I'm not riding today nor tomorrow, and I have a 60 minute TR workout on the schedule for Tuesday.

This seems more painful to me than just 'getting used to a new saddle'. And further, I feel like any position changes I made are so minor, it shouldn't cause these kind of issues. This is particularly vexing to me because stuff like this seems to happen often to me. I make one minor change and I have to go back in for another fit. Yes, I am going back in for another fit, but my fitter is about two hours away, so realistically a fit takes all day, which is hard to schedule with a job, family, training, etc. I can't just run down there every time I want to try a new position. I'd like to be able to make small teaks like putting on a new saddle on my own like a big boy.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: New saddle--bike fit--knee pain [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had same thing for a year. I thought I tore my meniscus or something. Had pain under knee cap and behind the knee. Almost went to doctor but tried lowering my saddle a hair...problem solved! Pain went away over several weeks. It was so bad that I couldn’t sit Indian style on the floor. All good now though. I don’t know that you have the same thing, but it’s worth a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same when I moved my saddle more forwards, but maybe a tad worse.. During an FTP test on the indoor trainer early November I thought I felt something in my left knee, didn't feel like anything major so I continued. When I got off the bike it hurt quite bad actually.. Pain behind/around the knee cap. Let it rest 2-3 days and iced it, went for an outdoor bike ride and the pain came back after probably 1.5h of riding. Did the same, went for a 5k run a few days later and during the run everything felt fine, few hours later it was a different story however.. It caused quite a bit of pain.
Doctor thought I had runner's knee so I got an MRI, only thing visible is some erosion of the cartilage on the medial femur.. 1.5 months of PT work later and I can ride intervals for 1.5h on the trainer again without it bothering me too much but only have been able to run 3.5k at moderate pace since.. Hoping things will still get better but it sucks right now :)
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Feb 25, 18 23:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those saddles don't fit the same, by keeping the setback the same you've changed your position
Quote Reply
Re: New saddle--bike fit--knee pain [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
those saddles don't fit the same, by keeping the setback the same you've changed your position

Yep, I'm realizing that. Can you comment at all about how they are different, because they look fairly similar to me (to my admittedly untrained eye)? As in, I should move it forward/back/up/down to more closely replicate my previous fit?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:

Yep, I'm realizing that. Can you comment at all about how they are different, because they look fairly similar to me (to my admittedly untrained eye)? As in, I should move it forward/back/up/down to more closely replicate my previous fit?

I think it's somewhat hard to predict how you will sit on these differently, but you will. Based on what you've provided (where the knee pain is), I would suggest lowering the saddle 2-3mm and see what that does.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: New saddle--bike fit--knee pain [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I understand that this is all going to be highly individual; I'm really just looking for a good place to start.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What pedals are you using? Just thinking out loud - perhaps the slight narrowing of the saddle change might have caused something? Maybe that cleat is a little loose?

Thinking outside the box - and only glanced at others replies so hope I'm not regurgitating something lol.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: New saddle--bike fit--knee pain [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, good stuff to check. I rode today with the saddle ~3-4mm down. No acute pain, just a little tightness that could be 'getting used to it' sensations.

How's your training? I've got a baby coming in about a week, so I don't think I'll be keeping up with you to T2 this year!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been in the pool at all or on the bike since mid January - so you probably will be in front of me in T2! You won't be for long after that tho ;)

Best of luck with the baby tho - that's rad!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply