Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lingering Sickness (2 months now) What to do?
Quote | Reply
Jan 3rd I came down with a full blown flu. I had the flu shot this year but I know its been less effective than in past years. That sickness took me until almost the end of january to get over and I had to basically take entire time away from working out as it was in the chest.
Got back to somewhat healthy for all of 8 days before coming down again with something the week of Feb 8th. This one has been more in the head, though its now moving into the throat and causing general lethargy.

Docs just keep saying rest and blaming it on the bad flu season. Could it be something else?
I've been down and out for a full 2 months now. Fitness has all but disappeared, and with 8 weeks before the start of race season I'm starting to grow more and more concerned.

My kitchen counter looks like a health supplement dispensary; Vitamin C, D, Echinacea, I'm doing raw honey in water, I'm sleeping 8-9hrs a night.

If I go back to the doc this week what should I be asking for to start ruling things out?
Quote Reply
Re: Lingering Sickness (2 months now) What to do? [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just my .02, others will disagree, but...

1. Ditch the supplements, they won't do anything. Or if you decide to continue to take them, well, just understand they won't do anything... :)
2. Ask your doc for a course of antibiotics. Its possible you have an actual infection, which they will help clear up. Again, lots will argue against this, but you've had it long enough that they shouldn't oppose you trying a short course of antibiotics, like a Z-pack (azithromycin).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viral infections can take a long time to clear. If you have signs of bacterial infection don't hesitate to go on antibiotics. If not, don't. It is not worth to kill your gut microbiota for nothing. Have your doc check c-reactive protein. If it is higher like 15 antibiotics could be a good idea (I think 15 was the threshold, you might want to look it up to double check)

Do you monitor your resting heart rate? That can be a good indicator, if your body is still dealing with infection. If the resting heart rate is elevated your body is still dealing with some stuff.

Keep your airways clear. Nose drops a few times a day, Ibuprofene eventually. For me, taking a day or two off from work and sleeping 14h+ can help a lot too.

Take care,
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the flu bad years ago and the doc thought it was swine flu. I was wrecked for a week and then off baseline for a few months. I ran a 99.x fever for 2 months and felt awful training. I trained once the main sickness was over but at obviously reduced intensity and volume. At that point I don't think doing nothing for 2 months is going to help you get better. Even if it does, now you have pretty much 100% detrained. Sorry for your situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Lingering Sickness (2 months now) What to do? [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
went and found myself a good south african doctor today, she asked me to open my mouth and was going to check it with the little scope. DIdn't even have to, she could see my tonsils were enormous without it. Tonsillitis is the diagnosis, bout of antibiotics to fix for 5 days and a blood work run down.

Resting heart rate isn't much higher than normal, i do track, its typically around 44-52, maybe has been 48-56 the last few weeks.

Hopefully i'll be able to start training again by mid-week and getting things back together.
Quote Reply