Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Thank Goodness for Snowboards and Freestyle Skiing [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
I mostly watched things with objective results. I'd rather just see who posted the fastest time or scored the most points that didn't come from a judge.
Me too. Where I did stray into judge territory were some snowboarding and the mogul competitions. Those are just more interesting to me than figure skating.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank Goodness for Snowboards and Freestyle Skiing [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timboricki wrote:
The winter Olympics just seem silly to me now. Most of the sports seem like "I dare you to try this" than a real sport. - Bobsled, luge, skeleton - I'm sure there is some skill involved and you can't be completely out of shape to participate. But it's not the same as what many of the summer games require.

And freestyle skiing and snowboarding events don't appeal much any more either. Just a bunch of flipping and twisting in the air. Don't get me wrong - what they do is impressive. But to the untrained eye, a 720 rodeo doesn't look much different than a switch 1080 mute grab. Almost seems more like a bunch of gymnasts that have aged out of competing as a gymnast or didn't have what it takes to compete.

Sort of like watching clips of the old MTV show "Jackass".

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

May I suggest you try doing some of what these men and women do?
I suck at halfpipe. And I'll never make it in the Cirque du Soleil, either.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank Goodness for Snowboards and Freestyle Skiing [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They've added a lot of oddball sports that have also helped Canada top up the medal count.

Indeed, no one likes to say this on the home front, but Canada has done REALLY well in these new, relatively obscure, and VERY technical sports that, quite honestly, have a low number of total competitors in a select few countries.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next