Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chainring spacing 10 and 11 speed question
Quote | Reply
Are chainring/ cranks different for 10 and 11 speed. I'm asking about the spacing between the chainrings because I'm building a Di2 9070 bike but would like to use a sram crank that was built for 10 speed. I built a bike last yr that was mechanical and went the other way ( 10 speed with 6800 crank) but I am unsure how sensitive the Di2 front derailleur is to this kind of mixing and matching.
Quote Reply
Re: Chainring spacing 10 and 11 speed question [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they are different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Manufacturers say they are different but I am sure that is only so people upgrade to buy their new stuff. The cranks shouldn't be any different and I used several of the same sets including power meters from the 10 speed era and the only difference I can see that they may do to a chainring is to make it slightly thinner to accommodate the narrower 11 speed chain. I have used chainrings from 10 speed era to the 11 speed and have never had any shifting issues but I guess that could depend on the brand. The derailleur you just set the upper and lower limits and if there is any width changes you may get some chain rub on the front derailleur earlier as you get towards to a max cross chainring gear on your cassette if there are any width differences.
Quote Reply
Re: Chainring spacing 10 and 11 speed question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK how much different? And will it cause a issues?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There isn't much difference.

Try out the combination you have and see how it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
OK how much different? And will it cause a issues?

It will be fine. If you have any trouble, let a pro setup your front mech.
Quote Reply
Re: Chainring spacing 10 and 11 speed question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the supposed difference
Quote Reply
Re: Chainring spacing 10 and 11 speed question [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the space between the two rings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes thicker or thinner??? Everyone is saying it is different but there is no difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I'm not sure either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I know is when Sram went from 10 to 11 the only thing they changed or IMO just relabelled was the rings but as I mention earlier they look identical but maybe slightly thinner to allow for the thinner chain. The cranks themselves never evolved at that time and neither have any crank based power meters I have used. None stipulate 10 or 11 speed. if anything maybe the front derailleur inside width adjusted to allow for the wider cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I've made up my mind. I'm gonna run the 155 I have and just put better rings on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you will be fine. been running "10 speed" cranks with 11 speed for a while with flawless shifting.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply