Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pain Behind Knee on Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
When I restart riding my Tri Bike, I get a bad pain Behind my knee down toward the middle of the top of the point where the calf meets the knee.

It takes me out for a couple of days till I get used to it... About two to three weeks. As in the 1st few steps walking it catches for a couple days before going away.

Any idea what it is and why? I had a pro fit. Happens on my road bike, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Behind Knee on Tri Bike [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...a saddle position that is (way) too high.
It's likely your road bike is also. Done by the same fitter?
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Behind Knee on Tri Bike [Monastero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Done by same fitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you reside?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
South Alabama/ Pensacola, FL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a video from the side and the back while riding?
Additionally, do you get saddle sores?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No video. But I do not get saddle sores.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's difficult to advise how much lower you'll need to go without seeing.
Perhaps google "pain behind knee while cycling"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:

+1

/endthread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:
It's likely your road bike is also. Done by the same fitter?

That was my thought too.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Behind Knee on Tri Bike [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Monastero wrote:

+1

/endthread

I think around 12 years ago on a thread on this forum, where I had posted a pic from racing, and I said, "I know, I know, my saddle is way low" to which you replied something like, "even if you are 1 inch low it won't affect your power". At that point, I had no power meter and was only going on "feel" and the higher positions had less quad and glute burn so they "felt better" but once I got a power meter, I saw that the only reason my higher positions felt better was I was producing less power....it's like swimming easier feels better than swimming hard! In any case, I had gotten frustrated with saddle sores and was going lower and lower until they all went away. I felt that I was "slower lower" because it felt worse, but my race results were showing great times....but it felt worse, but I figured, that if it was the only way to rid myself of saddle sores, then it what the heck. The misery of burning quads was better than the misery of saddle sores. As it turns out the burning quads were from generating more power which I found out a year or so later when I got a power meter and could see the outcome of different positions.

Subsequently I did a bunch of testing in computrainer erg mode with a road bike where hip angle was not a concern and tested 1 inch lower and as you said, no loss of power. On the tri bike I then ended up going in the lowest saddle position where hip angle at top of the pedal stroke did not become an issue for power generation.

Hopefully this is a 12 year old use case of what you refer it in "end of thread" as I lived through it through trial and error. Thanks for your guidance!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:
It's difficult to advise how much lower you'll need to go without seeing.
Perhaps google "pain behind knee while cycling"

Since it's pretty well agreed upon that his saddle is too high, I don't think that he needs to be seen on the bike.

Lower it 1-2cm and see how it is. He can report back, it usually clears up pretty quickly.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Behind Knee on Tri Bike [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he needs to lower it much more, a video may prevent further or worsening discomfort, not to mention save time.
Perhaps, even stave off chronic injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:
If he needs to lower it much more, a video may prevent further or worsening discomfort, not to mention save time.
Perhaps, even stave off chronic injury.

I'm still injured from the ride Friday. Can't even walk without pain. So no video since I can't ride. I will lower the seat and see if that helps.

I do (did) spin classes during the super cold days and never had this problem. In fact I have done 4-5 sessions a week for the past three months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another consideration is the rotation of your foot. The popliteus muscle can sometimes spasm if it's being pulled excessively during cycling.

If your cleats have drifted/loosened or are rotated excessively, that's also an easy check.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your saddle height at the spin class?
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Behind Knee on Tri Bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What's your saddle height at the spin class?

I literally just went to the gym to see. My spin setup is a good inch lower than my P2. I actually have the spin certification manual (wife is spin certified) and I set my bike up according to their exact instructions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the bike is not the problem, but merely the vehicle for realizing symptoms... especially if you were riding your current position without any issues. Consider that you have some soft of mechanical problem withn your knee that needs to be addressed by a physical therapist primarily and bike fit once your knee is resolved.
Quote Reply