Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Request: A simple, straightforward, and effective "Runner's Knee" rehab regiment
Quote | Reply
I've had knee pain for three weeks after my first long trail run. I cut down my mileage, yet the irritation persists. I've looked everywhere on the internet for a simple program that strengthens all the different areas; however, I'm inundated with way too many articles that seem incomplete. One may focus on hip mobility (fire hydrants, bird dogs, etc.—essentially, the Myrtl Routine) while others focus on true rehab for injuries that seem like they are completely debilitating (ie. single leg lifts and other low impact work) while even some focus on split squats and the like.

Is there a group of exercises—whether it be 5 or 10—that touches all the bases—hips, quads, posterior chain? I posted a few days ago about deadlifting and found the responses incredibly helpful, but I want a comprehensive strengthening regiment to get rid of the soreness in my knee (in addition to crazy amounts of rolling with a lacrosse ball and foam roller). It's not patellar tendonitis (which is under the knee cap) and it's not ITBS (which is on the side of the knee). My pain is just off the outside of the actual knee cap, so I'm chalking it up to the lovely catch-all of "runner's knee."

Help?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Request: A simple, straightforward, and effective "Runner's Knee" rehab regiment [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was given a really good set of exercises with resistance bands by an ortho, but it was on paper (which I lost) and they are really hard to explain... Ill see if I can find them.
Quote Reply
Re: Request: A simple, straightforward, and effective "Runner's Knee" rehab regiment [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The common one he gave me was this:

The other two I could not find, but they were similar to these common drills:

but that has an internal and external twist associated with them... I can't explain though. If I have time all do a video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome which is basically generalized knee pain with no clear mechanism of injury. I would suggest getting it checked out since you have had symptoms for 3 weeks now. But to answer your question more directly anything that strengthens your gluteus medius (side of hip) helps with proper knee mechanics. Clam Shells are great for targeting this muscle.
Quote Reply
Re: Request: A simple, straightforward, and effective "Runner's Knee" rehab regiment [tridude93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I though PFPS = "runner's knee."

Nevertheless, yeah, I agree with you. I just started doing side abductor leg raises and clam shells yesterday. I can't believe how badly such an "easy" exercise can burn without any weight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without a proper diagnosis all I can do is answer the part about strengthening everything from the waist down, which is the equivalent of "squats and milk" except not for muscle mass: full squats plus romenian deadlift. Round it off with straight leg and bent leg calf raises. There, sorted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a crazy request. Pain location is only one part of an exam to determine what is going on. To make your situation worse, you don't seem to have a good understanding of knee diagnoses nor how one arrives at a diagnosis. Please go see a physical therapist and get a mechanical exam and then the correct exercises. Dr. google is rarely accuate!
Quote Reply
Re: Request: A simple, straightforward, and effective "Runner's Knee" rehab regiment [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a crazy request. Pain location is only one part of an exam to determine what is going on. To make your situation worse, you don't seem to have a good understanding of knee diagnoses nor how one arrives at a diagnosis. Please go see a physical therapist and get a mechanical exam and then the correct exercises. Dr. google is rarely accurate.

^ This ^

(Unless you're in male 45-49 age group and racing Santa Cruz 70.3 in '18...in that case, google it or get as much advice as you can from non-medical professionals and do all of it! ;-) j/k.

Seriously, just spend the time and get a good exam from a reputable medical professional that knows triathlon and triathlon biomechanics.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Re: Request: A simple, straightforward, and effective "Runner's Knee" rehab regiment [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Google isn't to be trusted...

But Dr. Slowtwitch has a knack for being spot on with diagnoses.

And while I completely agree with you with regard to a medical professional, all that's going to happen is the doctor will tell me not to run for X weeks, prescribe stretching/foam rolling and posterior chain/hip strengthening exercises, and I'll be good as new. I opted to save the money (still a student) and just get a good overview of exercises to cover all my *known* muscular weaknesses. If it's not better in two weeks, I'll go see a doctor.

And FWIW, I feel comfortably with my personal diagnosis because I have had issues with patellar tendinitis, ITBS, and achilles tendinitis before and every time the trick was to decrease mileage, increase strengthening my known weakness, and plenty of massage/rolling.

Last edited by: cloy: Feb 24, 18 6:00
Quote Reply