Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

People Are Upset! I Don't Get It?
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: People Are Upset! I Don't Get It? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love to invite piggies to breakfast. Just ate some pork sausage and eggs. Goooooood.
Quote Reply
Re: People Are Upset! I Don't Get It? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really don't get why people are upset? If it were a dog, would you also be confused?
Quote Reply
Re: People Are Upset! I Don't Get It? [Aleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aleks wrote:
You really don't get why people are upset? If it were a dog, would you also be confused?

No, you don't get it. It's a pig, it's livestock, pigs aren't pets. People that turn livestock into pets need help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a douchebag move. I think when it was adopted out the intention was it was to be a pet. Not losing any sleep over it though. I am losing some brain cells over what is happening in Syria right now though.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Feb 23, 18 4:43
Quote Reply
Re: People Are Upset! I Don't Get It? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was definitely not the right thing to do, and given how long it was from the 'adoption' to the invitation to dinner I seriously doubt that the people ever had any intention of keeping it for a pet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Aleks wrote:

No, you don't get it. It's a pig, it's livestock, pigs aren't pets. People that turn livestock into pets need help.

The list of true pet animals (domesticates) is exceedingly short, with dogs and cats the two most-common on it. They're known as commensals, as are guinea pigs and a few other species. Pigs are known as prey animals, and they're normally sought for food. Cows, sheep and goats are other examples of prey animals. (Targeted animals are another category, and they're specifically used for draft and non-food sources (at least in the West). They include horses, camels and donkeys, among others).

If a pig is analogous to a dog in terms of being a "pet," it's because the pig is what's known as an "accidental pet." Capuchin monkeys are an example of this, as are any other non-domesticate animals. They may tolerate and interact good-naturedly with humans, which is well and good. Or they may not, at some point.

Dogs and cats have had thousands of years of domestication bred into them and cats, for all that they like people and want to be around them (sometimes for their own sly purposes ;-), are still mini-predators in many regards -- as any cat owner will tell you -- with nowhere near the time spent being domesticated by humans as dogs have been.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
It was definitely not the right thing to do, and given how long it was from the 'adoption' to the invitation to dinner I seriously doubt that the people ever had any intention of keeping it for a pet.

I'm with the others here (as well as you). Definitely a douche move. It was habituated to humans, after all. And while it may have been an accidental pet, it still had placed its trust (if any pig can "trust," that is) in human motivations and actions. That's the sucky part of the story for sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They probably watched Babe during breakfast.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone views animals different.

I hear of my company's employees complaining that their pet is part of the family and should be covered under the medical insurance we provide. No joke.

On the other hand, my MIL tells me that when growing up on the farm in Iowa, if one of the dogs got injured or sick they never went to the vet. Her father just took it to the other side of the barn (so the other dogs wouldn't see) and shot it. She doesn't get funerals or people treating dogs like its their kid. Her dogs were tools to help the farm run.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Feb 23, 18 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: People Are Upset! I Don't Get It? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:
Aleks wrote:

The list of true pet animals (domesticates) is exceedingly short, with dogs and cats the two most-common on it. They're known as commensals, as are guinea pigs and a few other species. Pigs are known as prey animals, and they're normally sought for food. Cows, sheep and goats are other examples of prey animals. (Targeted animals are another category, and they're specifically used for draft and non-food sources (at least in the West). They include horses, camels and donkeys, among others).

If a pig is analogous to a dog in terms of being a "pet," it's because the pig is what's known as an "accidental pet." Capuchin monkeys are an example of this, as are any other non-domesticate animals. They may tolerate and interact good-naturedly with humans, which is well and good. Or they may not, at some point.

Dogs and cats have had thousands of years of domestication bred into them and cats, for all that they like people and want to be around them (sometimes for their own sly purposes ;-), are still mini-predators in many regards -- as any cat owner will tell you -- with nowhere near the time spent being domesticated by humans as dogs have been.

You really have too much time on your hands. ;-)

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: People Are Upset! I Don't Get It? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:
Aleks wrote:

You really have too much time on your hands. ;-)

Heh. No, I just remember a lot of National Geographic-type useless information. Which is a hallmark of my life. ;-)

Quote Reply