Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Personal Rights - Armed Teachers [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
this leo has to live with it. i very much doubt that i could live with the guilt he almost certainly has to feel.

That was my point and you expressed it much better than I. My own comment on the matter was inartful at best. My apologies for that. Anger at the entire situation, at this point, got the better of me, and I regret the error.

I know this was not in response to my criticism of your prior posts, but I thank you for it nonetheless.

I pray that Officer Peterson and the others who failed the victims, failed their families, and failed the shooter can find peace.
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Rights - Armed Teachers [Brick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brick wrote:
klehner wrote:
The only reason I ever see BK's posts are when someone like you quotes him. Perhaps you can avoid his crap, too.

I mostly lurk. I hide no one. I apologize for putting something in front of you that you are trying to avoid. That was not my intent. I will keep that in mind for future posts but I will not promise to never do it again.

You missed my point (or your sarcasm is too subtle for me). Your posts I read. BK's posts I no longer read. I haven't hidden anyone; I just skip over his posts. Of course you shouldn't give a rat's ass about offending my sensibilities.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is a teacher and took five years out to raise the kids. She is looking to get back into teaching - I told her she better polish up on her shooting drills for the CV
Its unbelievable - he is now saying LEO in schools are 'no good' so now it needs to be concealed carry teachers?

Is the Marines now the initial stage in teacher training?

I love this quote

But the Republican strategist Steve Schmidt tweeted: “This speech at CPAC is demagogic, vapid, intellectually dishonest and just plain old fashioned idiotic. If someone delivered this speech from the end of a bar most people would think that person was an imbecile.â€
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Rights - Armed Teachers [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did miss your point. I was not trying to be sarcastic. I can use pink font ...

But I will try to limit what I quote because I think your point is a good one.
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Rights - Armed Teachers [Brick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brick wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
this leo has to live with it. i very much doubt that i could live with the guilt he almost certainly has to feel.

That was my point and you expressed it much better than I. My own comment on the matter was inartful at best. My apologies for that. Anger at the entire situation, at this point, got the better of me, and I regret the error.

I know this was not in response to my criticism of your prior posts, but I thank you for it nonetheless.

I pray that Officer Peterson and the others who failed the victims, failed their families, and failed the shooter can find peace.

But it WAS in response to your post. And to Captain Slowguy's and to Mister RangerGress's. I apologize if what I said was intemperate or dick-ish.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Rights - Armed Teachers [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
My wife is a teacher and took five years out to raise the kids. She is looking to get back into teaching - I told her she better polish up on her shooting drills for the CV
Its unbelievable - he is now saying LEO in schools are 'no good' so now it needs to be concealed carry teachers?

Is the Marines now the initial stage in teacher training?

I love this quote

But the Republican strategist Steve Schmidt tweeted: “This speech at CPAC is demagogic, vapid, intellectually dishonest and just plain old fashioned idiotic. If someone delivered this speech from the end of a bar most people would think that person was an imbecile.â€

If we start arming teachers we're going down a path we don't need to go down. Believe it or not, but I did some substitute teaching for a time in several small school districts where I live, right after I retired from the military. K through 12, and there never was a day where I wasn't getting a call from a district office asking if I could come in that day. It gave me good insights into what they do, and why they do it.

Teachers are oftentimes treated as punching bags by a lot of people, but the vast, vast majority of them are doing work very few of us could do for an entire career. They shape kids' minds and they give them guidance that, in many cases, parents have abrogated as part of their parental duties, for various reasons.

I also don't want to be too hard on parents, either... because when you live where I live you see that parents are mostly getting figuratively beaten up on all sides, when it's often the case that they've got to go out and work just to keep food on the table, and hope that the schools can teach their kids the things they themselves almost hardly have time to teach nowadays.

Some of my employees work two and three jobs (not surprising, given we start them at $10.50 or $11.50 an hour, depending on their shift). However they ended up in their lives where they need the employment we offer, their kids are blameless. And whatever we do as far as this problem with mass shootings, it's got to put the kids' needs first.

If we don't take care of them, we teach them a life lesson that's going to rebound against us later, when we're going to need them to help us, for one. For another, it's just the right thing to do.

Quote Reply
Re: Personal Rights - Armed Teachers [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Cowardice and bravery are strange

There are things i am willing to do for pleasure that are not without risk but they are not brave

The constant war metaphors, warrior metaphors and general conflation of conflict and sports has dulled a real understanding of bravery.

Going in to a school under powered against a heavily armed committed killer requires commitment

The rational - not the right - thing to do is not go in

I have huge admiration for those who do the jobs many of us will not and I understand why people won't do them

There is no question that events like these have massive impacts, not just on the families who lost members, but on people who find out things about themselves no one should ever really be out in a position to find out

Years ago. My brother had two room mates who were brothers. One was a fireman. One night the brothers were staying at their parents. The oldest, the fireman woke or was up and realised there was a fire in the house. He got his parents out of the house then went back in for his brother. Both died. Both under 25.

You never want to be in that position. Obviously their parents were devastated. My brother was seriously f$$ked up by being that close to them. The eldest was obviously very brave but who wants to find out like that What they are made of?

Here's an example of LEO courage and bravery, which occurred at the school while the shooter was roaming the 1st and 3rd floors, trying to kill as many people as possible:

When the Parkland shooting started, off-duty Coral Springs police officer Sgt Jeff Heinrich was watering down the infield of the baseball diamond. Alone and unarmed, her ran towards the school, assisted a wounded student, and then he grabbed a spare vest and weapon from the recently arrived Coral Springs SWAT unit and started to go classroom to classroom, clearing the building.

At the time he had no idea if his wife (the school's assistant athletic director) or son (a student) were okay. Unbelievable.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood" -- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They often say we cannot let the terrorists 'win'. That they cannot change we live our lives.
But this vast over reaction will change our lives - because the logical (meaning insane) extension of this is when two teaching candidates apply for a job the one with military experience will get preference.

And of all the skills I want a teacher to have to educate my three boys, combat experience comes pretty bloody far down the list.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am well aware of TR's words

The day of the fire i gave them to my brother

the thing is, it is little consolation when your child / friend / partner is dead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
i am well aware of TR's words

The day of the fire i gave them to my brother

the thing is, it is little consolation when your child / friend / partner is dead

I don't know what one can do to console a person who's going through that. Words are completely inadequate to the task, I've found. Just being there for them, I guess. Because you certainly have NO IDEA what they're going through, that's for sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This school district has had armed teachers for the past 14 months, according to this article.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Multiple armed individuals on campus would potentially reduce the risk, but I am genuinely not sure that I would want my kids at a school where teachers are armed.

I just saw a guy on FB say when his kids are old enough to go to school he's moving to a district that allows armed teachers. Seems a bit overboard, but to each his own.
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Rights - Armed Teachers [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
If we arm teachers, I will be surprised if it takes very long before one of the armed teachers is killed by an active shooter and his weapon stolen and used to commit more violence, or a teacher's weapon is stolen by a student and used in a crime or an assault at the school, or an armed teacher accidentally shoots a student or other faculty member, or an armed teacher is shot by police in the confusion surrounding an active shooter event.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with more people dead from suicide/accidents (or worse) than saved from a teacher deterring or stopping a school shooter.

I'm pretty sure most if not nearly all of these cases are not some "terrorist" looking for a soft target but a person specifically targeting people that he probably feels have wronged him.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Feb 26, 18 5:10
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Rights - Armed Teachers [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
Multiple armed individuals on campus would potentially reduce the risk, but I am genuinely not sure that I would want my kids at a school where teachers are armed.

I just saw a guy on FB say when his kids are old enough to go to school he's moving to a district that allows armed teachers. Seems a bit overboard, but to each his own.

We're in deep trouble as a society if that's going to become the prevailing sentiment among parents of school-age children.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

We're in deep trouble as a society if that's going to become the prevailing sentiment among parents of school-age children.

It's also probably not a realistic assessment of the benefits/risks of being around armed teachers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next