Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Second Slowtwitch Zwift Weekly Ride [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half an hour later might be better for most in Ireland and UK. I can usually finish by 16:30 all going well. So if I plan for it I should get home by 18:00 but it's cutting it tight. Since many people work until 17:00 or later and have some sort of commute, I expect 18:00 is a tall order for a lot of people. The extra 30mins might make all the difference and is still not terribly late for the rest of Europe. A suppose a poll is the way to go! - Fingers crossed
Quote Reply
Re: Second Slowtwitch Zwift Weekly Ride [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't mind starting a half hour later.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't mind starting a half hour later.

Excellent!

If I could make a suggestion on paces per your previous post..... If 2 polls isn't excessive, here's what I think would figure out the best solution:

1st poll: As I think you already planned to find out days, times and ride type.
2nd poll: Find out roughly where most interested members sit in terms of W/kg for their FTP.
I'd suggest basing this on the usual Zwift groups but maybe split each them in two for better resolution as follows:
Cat A1: 4.5 - 5.0 W/kg
Cat A2: 4.0 - 4.4 W/kg
Cat B1: 3.6 - 3.9 W/kg
Cat B2: 3.2 - 3.5 W/kg
Cat C1: 2.8 - 3.1 W/kg
Cat C2: 2.5 - 2.7 W/kg
Cat D1: 2.0 - 2.4 W/kg
Cat D2: 1.0 - 2.0 W/kg

So, for example if the 1st poll result says it's a stiff group ride with optional race at the end lasting 60-80mins.
I'd say an appropriate pace for such a ride is a bit below sweetspot at around 80-85%FTP.

It the second poll says the majority of members are in the B2 to C2 range then you have a basis for your power levels.

85% of upper B2 = 3.0W/kg
80% of lower C2 = 2.0W/kg

So 2 - 3W/kg would look like a reasonable range.

Maybe target pace would be:
Leader 1 = 2.5 - 2.8W/kg
Leader 2 = 2.0 - 2.4W/kg

Without several ride leaders, you'll inevitably be too slow for the As and probably too fast for the D2s. D1s might manage with careful drafting or they can do a smaller portion of the ride since they'll be at higher intensity (you can join group rides late or just bail out early).

I think the above approach could be applied to whatever results the polls yield so long as its a non-equalised group ride and you get some sort of bell curve on rider ability!
Last edited by: Ai_1: Feb 22, 18 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: Second Slowtwitch Zwift Weekly Ride [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take a look at the poll. see if this seems about right.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started on Zwift, and rode this last Tuesday workout. (I was the WAG talking about 55 RPM being my usual cadence)

I think a group ride would be entertaining. 1.75 W/Kg would just about let me hang in with the slow group.
(I can make the Watts, have to lose the Kg...)
Quote Reply
Re: Second Slowtwitch Zwift Weekly Ride [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
I'd be really into racing as a group on Zwift. But 4pm Pacific as the first ride is? I live in California and unfortunately am not independently wealthy enough to be free at 4pm on a weekday.

EST here and without being on the ST payroll I won't be able to swing 1pm 90min rides during the week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
take a look at the poll. see if this seems about right.

That'll do the trick
As the voting stands at the moment, for those who Zwift and picked a number:

2.5 - 3.0W/kg covers 60%
2.25 - 3.25W/kg covers 76%

So it looks like you could probably accommodate 76% reasonably well if you have 2 leaders and it should definitely work with 3 leaders. Don't forget that due to drafting, like in real life the faster guys can sit on the front or hang off the back for a harder ride while anyone who expects to struggle and wants to minimise their power requirements can try and stay in the middle of the pack. To allow that, the leaders should call for a re-group at the top of climbs. The intensity typically rises on climbs and the draft influence is minimal so the bunch often gets scattered. Also best to make sure the ride isn't restricted to TT bikes as when you ride those the draft simulation is turned off.

By the way watts are "W" not "w" ;p
Last edited by: Ai_1: Feb 23, 18 3:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could we do Tuesday instead of Thursday as i'm usually stuck in a 4 hour commute home on Thursday evenings.

Yeah, i know, it's all about me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to help in your getting a diversity of responses, I picked 2.25 W/kg in the poll b/c I hadn't seen this post and was unsure the goals of the ride. Like you, 1 h at 2.5 would be a bit stiff for me (ATM!).

I've done other group rides on Zwift and seem to find the "sub 2" rides too easy (guess I need to select a TT bike) and 2.5 pretty tough from the start as I need a warmup plus I'll get dropped at some point. (I'm not so good with completing my own warmups ahead of the group activities, though I aspire to...).

I think a rolling group pace of 2.25 followed by a break/race point would be grand.

All that said, I follow a coach's workout plan and Tuesday's ride is replacing a similar class workout. So, for me to join twice a week and get my prescribed intervals in, it would be great for many if leaders called for a regroup at hill tops or what ever but did not constantly bitch about those falling ahead, as some leaders do. I don't want to carry the psychological weight of Zwift ire!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
okay, so...

1. erg mode, or drop possible? - erg
2. every man for himself, or leaders keep the rider together? - if non-drop 'rubber band' mode, this is a non-issue, right?
3. stiff workout, or leisurely ride? or what? - again, if non-drop, each person can do what their workout schedule/fitness/wellness dictates
4. how long, timewise? - an hour
5. what day? - mon, tues, or wed
6. what time? - 7 pm eastern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the poll: 45-60 minute races are coming in around 3.8 - 4.2 W/kg for the front group typically (ymmv). To put racing versus riding into perspective. I chose 3.75 because I favor racing over group rides.

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply

Prev Next