Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco
Quote | Reply
Looks like San Francisco's taking yet another hit, this time from trash and feces-filled streets, some in the most tourist-heavy parts of town, according to a recent survey of the city's blocks by the local Bay Area NBC affiliate. Definitely NOT a Quinn Martin production, amirite?

Garbage, used syringes and feces (the latter two major contributors to hepatitis) line the streets of approximately 153 city blocks, apparently. Back in the mid-to-late-1960s, the city had a problem with "dirty hippies," but that was mostly centered on the Haight-Ashbury district. This modern day filth infestation seems far more widespread.

Rats on the west side, bedbugs uptown... Oh, wait. That's a different city. Carry on. ;-)

"The NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit surveyed 153 blocks of downtown San Francisco in search of trash, needles, and feces. The investigation revealed trash littered across every block. The survey also found 41 blocks dotted with needles and 96 blocks sullied with piles of feces."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of that area on their map, why are tourists going there unless it's for hookers or drugs? Drugs and crap in the Tenderloin - tell me something I don't know.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Most of that area on their map, why are tourists going there unless it's for hookers or drugs? Drugs and crap in the Tenderloin - tell me something I don't know.

No idea. When I was living up in the Bay Area -- a long time ago -- the place was nice all around the entire body of water (including most of Oakland). I don't remember much in the way of any "downer" areas in San Fran, either.

If I recall, just a few months ago, San Diego was having its own problems with feces and other assorted detritus in its own streets in and around the downtown and Balboa Park areas, which had led to a hepatitis A outbreak, I think. I don't know what's going on with these California cities, other than possibly a lot of drugs and homelessness, it seems to me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
ironclm wrote:

No idea. When I was living up in the Bay Area -- a long time ago -- the place was nice all around the entire body of water (including most of Oakland). I don't remember much in the way of any "downer" areas in San Fran, either.

I didn't realize you were that old! The Tenderloin has been the bad part of town since the 1920s ;) . Bogart lived there in the Maltese Falcon. Its where you went for gambling, pool halls, and topless dancers.
By the 60s, it was drugs and prostitution. And topless dancers.

Now 6 of the 10 most dangerous places in the city are there. 14 of the 98 homicides in 2007 happened there. The city is 47 sq miles. The Tenderloin is 0.35 sq miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the outbreak of hepatitis in major cities is from CA basically eliminating plastic bags via charging customers $0.10 for each one. Not enough bags to crap in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Tenderloin has been a dump even before you were a twinkle in your parent's eyes. Unfortunately, it hasn't got better and there's no solution in sight.
Quote Reply
Re: The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
ironclm wrote:

I didn't realize you were that old! The Tenderloin has been the bad part of town since the 1920s ;) . Bogart lived there in the Maltese Falcon. Its where you went for gambling, pool halls, and topless dancers.
By the 60s, it was drugs and prostitution. And topless dancers.
erloun
Now 6 of the 10 most dangerous places in the city are there. 14 of the 98 homicides in 2007 happened there. The city is 47 sq miles. The Tenderloin is 0.35 sq miles.

Heh. Not quite. Never went to the Tenderloin, though. But I think there are more areas than just that district involved here.

Quote Reply
Re: The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not just the tenderloin though. I just moved out of the Sunset a couple weeks ago after 5 years there and everything described is happening all over the city. Doesn't matter where you are, there will be feces (but maaaaaybe not a needle) within one block of you.
Quote Reply
Re: The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Tech Bros don't believe infrastructure. They subscribe to free-range pooping or using a poop sharing app to locate a street to drop a deuce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not just SF.

It is a curse of the west coast. Live 12 miles east of Seattle and I avoid downtown whenever possible.

Unless you are on the waterfront the city smells of urine and feces. Needles everywhere. Recently read a story where a restaurant placed needle disposal boxes in their bathrooms to help their employees not be exposed to used needles left in the trash cans.
Quote Reply
Re: The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
It's not just the tenderloin though. I just moved out of the Sunset a couple weeks ago after 5 years there and everything described is happening all over the city. Doesn't matter where you are, there will be feces (but maaaaaybe not a needle) within one block of you.

From the linked article: ..."41 blocks dotted with needles and 96 blocks sullied with piles of feces."

Man, that's a lot of real estate. And from reading the article, it appears as if the city's efforts to clean the streets have been futile to this point. But they have a plan, which is to raise taxes on business to spend more money on homelessness. I eagerly await the results of that initiative.

Also from the article: "Based on the findings of the Investigative Unit survey, Riley believes parts of the city may be even dirtier than slums in some developing countries.

“The contamination is … much greater than communities in Brazil or Kenya or India,” he said. He notes that in those countries, slum dwellings are often long-term homes for families and so there is an attempt to make the surroundings more livable. Homeless communities in San Francisco, however, are often kicked out from one part of town and forced to relocate to another. The result is extreme contamination, according to Riley.

So is the City by the Bay in danger of becoming one of Donny Two Scoops' famed 'sh*tholes'? There's this to consider:

Are these folks the new Joads, fleeing the urban feces bowl -- rather than dust bowl -- of the Bay Area? Only time will tell. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
Not just SF.

It is a curse of the west coast. Live 12 miles east of Seattle and I avoid downtown whenever possible.

Unless you are on the waterfront the city smells of urine and feces. Needles everywhere. Recently read a story where a restaurant placed needle disposal boxes in their bathrooms to help their employees not be exposed to used needles left in the trash cans.
LA has had this problem for many years too. People are pinching loaves all over the place, even in the most affluent of neighborhoods. No one is immune to any of these nonsense and raising taxes for the homeless is not working, especially since people are being paid to stay on the streets.

Quote | Reply
I dropped a duece in some shrubs during the 1985 SF Marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

If you gotta go, you gotta go. I bet some of the fecal coliform bacteria you let loose is still wafting around town even to this day. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I was visible but at that point I didn't care!

Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I was visible but at that point I didn't care!

Heh. No worries. I saw a bit of loaf-pinching at Ironman Hawaii, on occasion. It was a long way between those porta-johns, apparently. And the a'a lava looked so inviting to those folks. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

Take that literal and metaphorical shit to the tri forum.
Last edited by: wimsey: Feb 22, 18 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
Not just SF.

North side of Chicago as well. The wife and I have jumped our fair share of deuces while heading up the stairs to numerous El Stations.

Needles not as prominent though..from our experience anyhow..grabted there are a fair share of methadone clinics in Uptown so that could have something to do with it.

Sorry for grammer/spelling..sitting on the tarmac waiting to leave Seattle coincidently.
Quote Reply
Re: The (Diseased) Streets of San Francisco [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
davec wrote:
Not just SF.

North side of Chicago as well. The wife and I have jumped our fair share of deuces while heading up the stairs to numerous El Stations.

Needles not as prominent though..from our experience anyhow..grabted there are a fair share of methadone clinics in Uptown so that could have something to do with it.

Sorry for grammer/spelling..sitting on the tarmac waiting Ito leave Seattle coincidently.

How does Seattle smell? Feces-filled or not? ;-)

Quote Reply