Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Grand Prix Driver - Amazon Prime
Quote | Reply
This seems to be a fairly new series follow Mclaren from the moment of the Ron Dennis axing through the 2017 season

its fantastic - loads of behind the scenes info on the team, highlight of first two episodes in Alonso pulling 46g in the crash in Oz................quite a move

setting aside mclarens headquarters - which is amazing - the series seems to cover every aspect from car development to marketing to background on the drivers

its really very good so far - a good companion to Newey's book
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Prix Driver - Amazon Prime [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Started watching this last night. Through 1.5 episodes found it fascinating.
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Prix Driver - Amazon Prime [go so slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's amazing. I was subsequently reading that ron Dennis never allowed post-its, food, snacks, drinks or other items on desks at HQ

Apparently that rule stood after he was bought out

The grey thing is also a RD thing. The switch to black orange if you believe Adrian Newey would be more to do with distancing them from ton

In neweys book he describes starting work. His first weekend he goes with Dennis to a GP but asks maintenance to lay new flooring and paint the room blue

Dennis comes in Monday takes one look and marches out

His wife later told Newey he was incandescent with rage. He could not stand changes with out his approval

The series gets better but the pulling together of the car is a bit of a shit show and Alonso is quite funny in the run up to the launch. I suspect he is a bit cynical
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check it out.

Another racing oriented show is Dirty Money about Scott Tucker. I haven't watched it yet but heard it's interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up as well. My son and I are rabid F1 fans, but we don't really cheer on McLaren so much. We like the red cars.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The series gets better but the pulling together of the car is a bit of a shit show and Alonso is quite funny in the run up to the launch. I suspect he is a bit cynical[/quote]

I was in the press room at the Rolex 24 when Alonso was being interviewed after his last stint. (Yes, that's a backdoor brag. I love my job.) Interesting to hear him talk about differences between the two types of racing, cars, etc. At the time he was fairly non-committal about Le Mans, but apparently that's changed.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series. It's unreal how much (of everything - money, time, manpower, etc.) goes into putting a car on the track.
Last edited by: go so slow: Feb 21, 18 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go so slow wrote:

I was in the press room at the Rolex 24 when Alonso was being interviewed after his last stint. (Yes, that's a backdoor brag. I love my job.) Interesting to hear him talk about differences between the two types of racing, cars, etc. At the time he was fairly non-committal about Le Mans, but apparently that's changed.

It seems the WEC wants every series to bow down to them and Alonso as they are moving races to accommodate one driver and asking series that already have races on those dates to move their races.

IMSA pretty much said, no, we're good with our dates.
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Prix Driver - Amazon Prime [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alonso is a star. this series made me like him much more than i did previously especially during the hamilton saga

i am not sure i agree with the french man at mclaren that alonso is the best driver on the grid.

i think there would be nothing seperating vettel, hamilton and alonso in the same cars

i cant recomend the newey book enough

the insights on how F1 worked under bernie and the personalities like williams, head, dennis, brawn and schumacher make it more interesting in hindsight

i had no idea that benneton and ferrari had basically cheated and mosely let them walk

i knew schumacher if he could not win liked to take people out but he seems to have been someone who never accecpted reaponsibility for anything he might have got wrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna have to watch this. Was a McLaren fan from back when James Hunt won the world championship. I went to the Watkins Glen GP from 1975 through 1978 and was just obsessed with the cars. Honeycomb core monocoques! Lever-actuated springs & shocks! 6 freakin' wheels on the Tyrell!

Did a cycling tour of England and the Continent in the summer of 1978, and we ended up going through Woking. I knew that's where McLaren were based from one of the programmes I got at the Glen. Asked a bloke where they were located, which then was a very old brick building in an industrial area. Rode into the forecourt and got a chance to watch through the open garage doors as they worked on the cars.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go so slow wrote:

The series gets better but the pulling together of the car is a bit of a shit show and Alonso is quite funny in the run up to the launch. I suspect he is a bit cynical

I was in the press room at the Rolex 24 when Alonso was being interviewed after his last stint. (Yes, that's a backdoor brag. I love my job.
) Interesting to hear him talk about differences between the two types of racing, cars, etc. At the time he was fairly non-committal about Le Mans, but apparently that's changed.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series. It's unreal how much (of everything - money, time, manpower, etc.) goes into putting a car on the track.[/quote]
I sat at the next table to Alonso in a restaurant a few years back in Montreal during the F1 weekend and didn't even realize it until I was leaving. My most memorable moment was having a drink with John Surtees about 25 yrs ago when I had a gig as a part time automotive journalist. Really wonderful guy.
Quote Reply