Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I was thinking the other day that this is quite possibly the most civil post in ST history. Sad that the end of spring classics is upon us but thanks for organizing.

Thanks for the kinds words, and thanks for participating.

----------------------------------

And over at LBL, still altogether with 25 km left to go. One wouldn't have missed much by tuning in just now (whereas the exciting stuff was happening with 40 km to go last week). Brave ride by the Wanty rider

Bahrain shows up on the front at the right time. Let's see where this goes.

---------------------------------

Also for anyone interested, here's an article (translated from French) re: the route change from finish in Ans back to a flat finish in Liege proper. Apparently the intrigue in this one is strong (haven't finished reading it just yet)
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 22, 18 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't let Quick Step solo away again!
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently everyone but Astana and Martin are on team Quick Step. And of course Martin flatted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Apparently everyone but Astana and Martin are on team Quick Step. And of course Martin flatted.
Ugh, textbook attacking again...

At least it’s not a mass sprint up to Ans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little coming-out party by Woods there at the end for 2nd. He's going to be good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
A little coming-out party by Woods there at the end for 2nd. He's going to be good.

Smokin ride by Woods! He had a killer Vuelta and this is one hell of a good statement. Great ride by Jungels too. Quick Step is fire this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Indeed. Following the right wheels is part to the learning process, and he followed the right one

Ugh, opqs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No doubt, huge result for him and team. And Bardet continues to impress
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't think anyone saw that one; but it was so textbook.

Jungels lost 30 seconds on St. Nich, but the putzing behind (in no small part thanks to his teammate) helped him stay away. Cat 4s and 5s should watch and learn re: how to execute proper tactics

echoing sentiment upthread, agreed on GT banters. Those (or perhaps only the TdF ones) generally draw a larger audience

and the final tally for the year

eb wrote:
I forgot to get picks in for Fleche; kin hav xtras 2day? ;^>

Valverde, Alaphillippe, Martin

Valgren, Gilbert

1 point

ClayDavis wrote:

Alaphilippe, Matthews, Valverde
Kreuziger, Wellens

1 point

noodle_soup wrote:

Dumoulin is racing Liege, curious to see how he does.

He did quite well, i'd say

Quote:

My picks for La Doyenne.

Alaphilippe, Benoot, Kreuziger
Matthews, Nibali

1 point

dsmallwood wrote:
Valverde
Alaphilippe
Kwiatkowski

Gilbert
Nibali

1 point

trail wrote:
LBL.

Martin, Gilbert, Mathews
Kreuziger, Valgren

0 point

heyMartin wrote:
i hate going with favorites all the time so once again throwing darts on the wall
Bardet, Moser, Valverde
Mathhews, Ion Izagirre

2 points

echappist wrote:
Alaphilippe, Valverde, Nibali
Matthews Bardet

2 points

Carl Spackler wrote:
Alaphilippe, Valverde, Matthews
Nibali, Gilbert
1 point

Tri_Joeri wrote:
Picks for LBL:

Alaphilippe, Valverde, Bardet
Izagirre, Benoot

not bad! highest scoring pick of the round yet again. The rest of us better watch out next year

McNulty wrote:
Alaphilippe, Valverde, Matthews
Martin, Kreuziger
1 point
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 22, 18 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alaphillipe did a great job of stomping on any moves to chase. Not unhappy for QS. They really executed all Spring and seeing them genuinely happy for each other at the finish is cool. Both Gilbert to Terpstra at Flanders and Ala to Jungel Bob.

I want to see Joe D get some in Romandie. Hope so, but he’s settling into a dom, super dom role quite nicely and having fun. We’ll see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, nice ride by Woods, I didn't think he had the form based on how he's raced this spring but he raced strong and smart. I'm pumped to see what he can do in the Giro. Very happy to see that result and Jungels', even though I didn't pick either one.

Thanks for running this echappist! The spring classics are always fun but this spiced it up a little. I guess it's only fitting that Clay Davis and Jimmy McNulty ended up tied for 2nd in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

I want to see Joe D get some in Romandie. Hope so, but he’s settling into a dom, super dom role quite nicely and having fun. We’ll see.

I had a Joe D fanboi moment today. Bought a helmet in the classified forum. Arrived with Joe D's name sticker still on it! (the seller never mentioned it was ex-Cannondale gear)
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Damn, nice ride by Woods, I didn't think he had the form based on how he's raced this spring but he raced strong and smart. I'm pumped to see what he can do in the Giro. Very happy to see that result and Jungels', even though I didn't pick either one.

Thanks for running this echappist! The spring classics are always fun but this spiced it up a little. I guess it's only fitting that Clay Davis and Jimmy McNulty ended up tied for 2nd in the pool.

As for Woods, great on the former runner to be at the front end of a competitive race. Thing is, he had it in him to contest for the win today. Just let a gap open to Jungels at the feed on top of the hill, and that moment of inattention was all that was needed for Jungels to slip away.

As for Det. McNulty, perhaps he faked his arrest stats ;) All jest aside, great to have this group of people. Let's carry this through the grand tours until World's. McNulty really likes Joe Dombrowski (McNulty lives in VA, iirc; I used to live there). Really hoping that Dombro would shine through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for organizing all of this, enjoyed my first year of playing this game. Next year I'm coming for you guys ;)

Do you rank based off of total points or average points, now that the final Spring classic is over?
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Apr 23, 18 0:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:

As for Woods, great on the former runner to be at the front end of a competitive race. Thing is, he had it in him to contest for the win today. Just let a gap open to Jungels at the feed on top of the hill, and that moment of inattention was all that was needed for Jungels to slip away.

As for Det. McNulty, perhaps he faked his arrest stats ;) All jest aside, great to have this group of people. Let's carry this through the grand tours until World's. McNulty really likes Joe Dombrowski (McNulty lives in VA, iirc; I used to live there). Really hoping that Dombro would shine through.

Thanks E.
Prop Joe made all my picks for me. Am I dq'd?

Joe D. is worth rooting for. He is a genuine guy, and knows there is life after the World Tour. Comes back to town here and will ride with anyone who is hanging around, will sit at the coffee shop and talk smack half the morning. He accuses me of half wheeling him on climbs- me at 200+ lbs and older than his dad. I tell him to pick it up if he doesn't like it and then he's gone, still chatting away. It's this relaxed perspective with great athleticism, competitiveness and humor that is really refreshing. He may not be selfish and thuggy enough for the big show, but he's deceptively tough. Look at his rides in the Giro last year. I'd love to see him get a big stage win. Looking forward to Romandie.

The corporate side of the pro game is brutal, with some nefarious management going on, kind of like thoroughbred racing. Some syndicates will dope their horses, mask the dope and race them until they drop- then go buy more. Win at all costs. And other outfits take better care of their horses. I think EF is a good group, led by Vaughters. He has his detractors but I think has done well with very limited resources and provides a good environment for the young guys to develop and guys like Sep to be allowed to do their thing. Joe I think could have gone with QS but I think they may have chewed him up and spit him out. Sky was a mess with little real development. Just get the talent and run it and see what happens. (he didn't say that).

Bottom line is that the peloton is much cleaner and a good group of twenty somethings seem to now be distancing the 35 + crowd, the Gilberts and Valverdes. As it should be.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Thanks for organizing all of this, enjoyed my first year of playing this game. Next year I'm coming for you guys ;)

Do you rank based off of total points or average points, now that the final Spring classic is over?

you better be :)

as for ranking, average point after subtracting out two lowest, with non-entry given a score of zero. The purpose behind the mulligan is so that if someone misses one of the smaller races (say Brabantse Pijl), one is not unduly penalized. I'll probably need to tinker with it a little bit.

I'm also thinking that for the future, the wildcards could be used so that if one names a true outsider who won, there would be a bonus. Not enough to be worth more than making a correct podium pick, but one that would yield more than a single point. So if someone picked a podium and then had Jungels as a wildcard, that entry would be worth 1.5 total points instead of 1. Lastly, I'm thinking of instituting a special bonus for someone who scored based on a really unlikely pick. So say if you are the only person to have selected Pederson for RvV, that ought to be worth an extra point

Anyone knows if Velogames could implement something like this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today’s Romandie stage is through beautiful countryside. Joe had a decent prologue tt and I hope he just rides super aggressive. Can’t hurt him going into the Giro.

E, I think it would be cool to put together a velogames group so as to out source the admin of it all and maybe add in a long shot bonus of some sort, or odds.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been more awed by the countryside they're riding through than racing, though today as a banger.

Btw, can someone on this thread put up an "Official Giro d'Italia post" before a Fred does?
Quote Reply

Prev Next