Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona M60-65 Podium...WTC makes good
Quote | Reply
I received my 4th place award for Kona M60-64 from WTC, and sent back my 5th place award.

I was ecstatic to get on the podium at Kona (after 10 tries), so it doesn't matter that much to me if it says 4th or 5th, but I really respect WTC for doing this. It shows respect for the race, and all the honest competitors.
I am thrilled that Jean-Marc Bertolo, although robbed of his podium appearance, will finally get his award. We raced for the last 6 miles from out of the Energy Lab to the finish, with me edging him out by only 41 seconds.
I also now know that the decision I made to not shake Moat's hand on the podium was the right decision. It was not poor sportsmanship from a guy that wouldn't give another competitor a second chance, but rather, me taking a stand against doping. I apologize if this comes across as a self-righteous rant.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Kona M60-65 Podium...WTC makes good [IMPBAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Paul, Jean-Marc and all of us in that raced at Kona in that age group. Its such a pleasure to race with guys (and girls) that set the bench mark with what is possible without assistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMPBAZ wrote:
I received my 4th place award for Kona M60-64 from WTC, and sent back my 5th place award.

I was ecstatic to get on the podium at Kona (after 10 tries), so it doesn't matter that much to me if it says 4th or 5th, but I really respect WTC for doing this. It shows respect for the race, and all the honest competitors.
I am thrilled that Jean-Marc Bertolo, although robbed of his podium appearance, will finally get his award. We raced for the last 6 miles from out of the Energy Lab to the finish, with me edging him out by only 41 seconds.
I also now know that the decision I made to not shake Moat's hand on the podium was the right decision. It was not poor sportsmanship from a guy that wouldn't give another competitor a second chance, but rather, me taking a stand against doping. I apologize if this comes across as a self-righteous rant. Paul

sore winner!

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you!
As a fellow m60-64 member and someone who is near podium at most races, you top (clean) guys still motivate me.
Given the same choice, I would have shamed him.
Now, retire and give mere mortals a chance! ;)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That great for you, but what about all the others in you place over the years? I will give the new owners props as they were not around for the last bust(and admission of drug use back to 2005), but Joe Bonness and a lot of others need to also move up and the records need to be changed.

Keep up the good fight and don't let those others be forgotten, and of course keep showing what clean old men can do!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you.

That a cheating piece of shit like Atlanta-area Kevin Moats openly and unashamedly got away with his antics for as long as he did is a disgrace.

And Ironman still has this puff piece up on its site despite him being busted as a doping cheat:

http://ironman.com/...pion-twice-over.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. for me it also begs another question . . . somewhere he also took someone else's Kona spot. We all know those are like gold. I wonder did they/should they go back and make good on the spot that was taken?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy for you PB! You have paid your dues and deserve this!

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona M60-65 Podium...WTC makes good [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES david you are spot on
Quote Reply
Re: Kona M60-65 Podium...WTC makes good [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
That great for you, but what about all the others in you place over the years? I will give the new owners props as they were not around for the last bust(and admission of drug use back to 2005), but Joe Bonness and a lot of others need to also move up and the records need to be changed.

Keep up the good fight and don't let those others be forgotten, and of course keep showing what clean old men can do!!

Give them time, they may do that yet. Limited staff & logistics if & what & how far back they change may take more time due to time constrainst + manpower. That's a lot of things to happen to rectify over the years. Congrats to all who moved up. Now if they can start going after the younger guys as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMPBAZ wrote:

I also now know that the decision I made to not shake Moat's hand on the podium was the right decision. It was not poor sportsmanship from a guy that wouldn't give another competitor a second chance, but rather, me taking a stand against doping. I apologize if this comes across as a self-righteous rant.

Paul

Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big congrats. Bet it was the best thing you ever sent back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always a pleasure watching you race Paul. Glad that WTC made the adjustment. They may not be able to make changes all the way back, but this is a step in the right direction. Once again, congrats on the well earned podium spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He'll be back after the "ban" in a new AG (M70-74).

Just sayin'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. And the right decision to not acknowledge the POS. He’s a blatant cheater.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona M60-65 Podium...WTC makes good [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:

Just sayin'

I predicted the same elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona M60-65 Podium...WTC makes good [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Good for you.

That a cheating piece of shit like Atlanta-area Kevin Moats openly and unashamedly got away with his antics for as long as he did is a disgrace.

And Ironman still has this puff piece up on its site despite him being busted as a doping cheat:

http://ironman.com/...pion-twice-over.aspx

They fixed it for you. This is now posted just above the article: "Editor's note: In January, 2018, Moats received an 8-year ban from IRONMAN after testing positive for testosterone just prior to the 2017 IRONMAN World Championship. The article below stands as a historical text and is no longer meant to be an endorsement of his morals or merit as an athlete."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. Glad number 5 got his trophy - age group doping is simply disgraceful. Well done :-)

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona M60-65 Podium...WTC makes good [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
pdxjohn wrote:

Just sayin'

I predicted the same elsewhere.

Once a pathological self absorbed egomaniac always a .......................
Quote Reply