Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DIY Speed Concept Reflective Decaling
Quote | Reply
I was inspired by mile2424's venge awhile back. I had plans to do something just as cool but realized I didn't have the artistry or patience for anything too elaborate. I didn't want to strip any paint so I essentially just covered the old stock design with different colors. It turned out better than I expected but took way more time than I'd like to admit. The process was pretty basic: a good cleaning of the frame, created a stencil for each object, transferred design to a 3M tape, and then applied to the frame. Below are the pictures (before, in normal light, 'low' light, with a flash):

Quote Reply
Re: DIY Speed Concept Reflective Decaling [SteeleMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done! That's awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great, but the million dollar question: how did you create the stencils?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Speed Concept Reflective Decaling [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used long strips of packaging tape to cover each object. Before putting the tape directly on the frame I removed a good amount of the adhesion by applying/removing from a different surface. Once the frame was covered, I marked the corner of each object with a dot (luckily there were no curved features). I originally tried to draw the complete outline of each object but that was not working well. I then removed the tape from the frame and laid it on a thick card stock. I then connected the dots and cut out the card stock giving me the stencil. I made sure to slightly oversize the stencil to ensure each feature would be completely covered.

Edit: there were a few curved lines in the letters. I just used a series of dots to create the arch.
Last edited by: SteeleMan: Feb 19, 18 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. I need to do this. Gonna Jane to pick ur brain more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool!

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a really cool project. Well done. Thank you for sharing.
Quote Reply