Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing???????
Quote | Reply
After a couple months of flawless operation, my Garmin Vector 3's seem to have a glitch.

I recently changed my batteries, as the factory batteries ran out of juice. I've had 2 trainer rides since the battery change without any issue. Finally got outside for a ride and within 15 minutes I starting receiving a message on my Edge 520 "Right Power Sensor Missing".

After hitting OK to clear the message, it appeared that my power numbers were only reading about half of what they should have been. After a minute or 2 of pedaling, the power numbers would bounce back to where they should be. This continued to happen every couple minutes throughout the 3 hour ride. By the end of my ride, as soon as I would clear the message it would immediately pop back up, which basically made my 520 useless as I couldn't see any other fields on my head unit. WTF

Anyone else having this issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing??????? [BTEEZY28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take the batteries out, wipe them clean with metho, put back in using a tissue so as not to contaminate them with finger oils.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just got the vector 3 and upgraded firmware to 3.0, had 2 flawless rides and then started to have the same issue. I figured it was because my bike was in the mark out in the cold for a few hours. after about 30 min i just unpaired the right sensor in the 520 to get the "full" power reading from the left unit for the rest of my workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke with Garmin support after posting this. They said there was a problem with the "Battery Door" on the Vector 3 that has now been fixed.

They offered to completely replace my pedals with a new set, however they don't currently have any in stock. So instead, they are sending me new battery doors which will resolve the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing??????? [b.will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
numerous issues reported with firmware v 3.0 (including mine, which have effectively stopped working), I'm being told that because it's a software issue, they wont replace the pedals and I'll just have to wait until they fix it (which, knowing Garmin, could take months).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing??????? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have seen recommendations from garmin to actually put a drop of mineral oil on the battery contacts to prevent them shorting
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing??????? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my Vector 3s after a 2.5 month wait. Went for a long ride and the right pedal kept dropping out intermittently. The power data is all but useless. Also, power numbers were inexplicably off by ~25W NP between my Edge and my Fenix 5. Power balance read 60% L/40%R..... Beyond frustrating. You would think they could get this right. Probably gonna pack em up and return them unless I can get a quick and permanent fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my pedal dropped out in the middle of a race this past weekend. my vector 3s have been “shotty” at best.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing??????? [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveCoz wrote:
Just got my Vector 3s after a 2.5 month wait. Went for a long ride and the right pedal kept dropping out intermittently. The power data is all but useless. Also, power numbers were inexplicably off by ~25W NP between my Edge and my Fenix 5. Power balance read 60% L/40%R..... Beyond frustrating. You would think they could get this right. Probably gonna pack em up and return them unless I can get a quick and permanent fix.

I have the same problem. I took the pedals off and I’m going without a power meter for now. Bad data is worse than no data.

Garmin wrote me back after I contacted support. They told me to check the battery door. There are two strips of electrical tape (but smaller than standard electrical tape) that are supposed to cover two pieces of metal. One of mine moved, causing the battery to touch metal that it should not touch. I’m getting constant dropouts and crazy peaks 20,000 Watts) and 1900+ 30 sec power. Very frustrating.

I’ll turn to replace the tape and see if they work again. Or I’ll wait until they send me an updated battery door, and then sell them and buy a quarq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The batteries should never be installed dry. Use something petroleum based. Dry vibrates and corrode very very quickly. That's straight from Garmin support

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing??????? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys just FYI - Garmin has identified the battery doors as the issue and is having a recall with new replacement doors to hopefully solve all the issues that V3 users have been experiencing.

You should receive an email (assuming the units are registered) looking to send out the replacements, I was working with them on some legacy units and found out about this (although no issues with my V3's yet) I have a set on the way to me.

You can always call them to promote quicker shipping of the new doors - from this point forward all new units sold are coming with the revised doors on them.
Last edited by: teddygram: May 31, 18 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing??????? [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You trust what Garmin Customer Service says a lot more then I do. And I bet I have talked to them on the phone more then most in the past month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$999 for a beta unit.....beautiful huh?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing??????? [Sharkbait22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you pay retail ?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing??????? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$849 for a beta unit....beautiful huh? 😜😜😜
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 Power Sensor Missing??????? [Sharkbait22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lower... but I get your point.

my drops literally last maybe a second and I will usually only have 1 during a ride. I'm on battery set #3 and even the original batteries were no different. I too am waiting for the new battery doors as my drive side one is flaky.
Quote Reply