Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike routes near Camarillo CA
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be there this Saturday until Wednesday and was hoping to get a few rides in some mountains if possible. I saw some climbs in bikemap.net but was hoping for some local knowledge.

Anyone have some safe rides near there?

Thanks

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Bike routes near Camarillo CA [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plenty, how far you looking to go?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike routes near Camarillo CA [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of looking for something like 20-30 mile loops. Probably going to ride 3 hour-ish on Sunday and an hour or so on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time of day and potential wind will significantly impact what is safe, but there are no shortage of great rides in and around Camarillo.

Las Posas to PCH and down the coast towards Malibu will be nice and flat and fairly safe (again depending on time of day, use common sense). From PCH, there are a bunch of climbs you can do up into the hills for as long as you want to climb for. Mullholland is a fun one (about 6-7 miles of climbing, anywhere from 35-50 minutes long depending on your ability).

The Potrero climb (behind CSUCI) is shorter but steeper. Once you're up in Newbury Park, you can keep taking Potrero up and over to Hidden Valley which is great. U turn and you're home.

You can also go northeast from Camarillo up Santa Rosa Rd. towards Moorpark/Thousand Oaks and back. Avoid the less safe "Norwegian Grade" at the very top by jagging around to Read Rd. if you're heading all the way to Thousand Oaks.

Balcom and Grimes Canyon might be fun climbs too, but you'll spend a fair amount of time on hwy 118 which isn't my personal fave. Rapp has no problems with it however.
Last edited by: srev: Feb 19, 18 11:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post above has some good options; personally stay off PCH unless super early. I would be partial to over Balcom down to mountain and than back over (shorter ride) as it is what the Tour De California has done several times. Depending on your level you will need a 28 (I also have a compact) for the top of Balcom coming back over as it kicks up pretty well for last 1/4 mile.

The 118 is fine for me and if you come up Somis (34) and either take Bradley (to the left) or Balcom (to the right) you will not be on it for very long.

For me Grimes is good to Broadway and then loop over (Stockton?) to Balcom as another option, 23 is too tight for me on north side to go over the pass and has many blind corners.

For a longer ride (weekend early) after Balcom continue on Mountain (left) to Santa Paula and take the 150 (10th) up to Ojai, a nice 8 mile ~4% climb (through the burn area of recent fires). The recovery is already started and it is a nice ride still, but early is key as it gets some traffic as the day goes on.

Go to the summit store at the top to stack up and use bathroom say hi to Nick and double back to base.

PM me if you like, plan on a long ride Saturday over coastal ranges by Lake Casitas and you are welcome to base out of my house in Ventura.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go South on PCH toward Malibu. Within 15-20 miles you will encounter terrific climbs in the Santa Monica mountains. Latigo (probably furthest from Camarillo) is epic. Closer to you are Encinal; Decker (very hard climb), Yerba Buena to Cotharin and descend Deer Creek (amazing views).

Mulholland is the other option to the north, where you can climb and the descend toward PCH and return to Camarillo. Hard to find a better place to ride in Socal, in my opinion.

Enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike routes near Camarillo CA [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to our neck of the woods. As others have said there are many great routes.
I m partial to the climbs off of PCH like Mulholland and Encinal Cyn.
I am not a fan of the 118, but use it to get to Bradley and Balcolm.
But as others have said, this is a great area to ride! I live in Simi Valley and suggest you avoid our fine city (too much traffic).

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Bike routes near Camarillo CA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much everyone, I'll look up each route. Arriving near 2ish on Saturday so riding is probably out that day but Sunday is wide open.

I don't know how long I'll be at the plant each day but I'm hoping to wrap it up on Tuesday so I'll have all day Wednesday to do whatever I'd like. Taking the red-eye back to Michigan Wednesday night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, there is so much...

My favorite route is to go up and into Somis.

You'll be able to pull some ideas from:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1041701987

and if you want to head into the Santa Monica Mountains:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1060311434

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Bike routes near Camarillo CA [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much, the links will help in addition to what everyone else said :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Camarillo, you can get to Bradley Rd and the Somis area with just a very brief time on the 118. Go to the Calleguas Creek bike path (you're only on it for a mile or two), head north on it, turn left on Upland where the bike path ends, then right on Lewis, to North St. in Somis. That ends at the 118, turn left onto 118, then take the first right (<100 yds), right after the Somis Nut House, onto Bradley Rd. I live in Newbury Park and commute to work in Camarillo. My route is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/1398520888. I come down Potrero behind CSUCI early in the AM on my way to work. I wouldn't recommend going up it except at low traffic times of day -- it's steep and narrow and cars really aren't happy you're there. I would also recommend Las Posas to PCH, maybe up Encinal, go right at the top where the road ends, then left at the next stop sign, which is Mulholland. That will take you back to PCH.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike routes near Camarillo CA [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much, I'll look that up too. I think that goes right by my hotel :)
Quote Reply