Login required to post replies

Russian Doping
Quote | Reply
In Curling? How desperate are they?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...ions/article38014926/
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was to increase bloodflow? I'm pretty sure the performance enhancement was not for his curling, Have you seen his wife?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A Russian medallist at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics is suspected of having tested positive for a banned substance, a source at the Games said on Sunday, in a potential major blow to Russia's efforts to emerge from a drug-cheating scandal."

I'm not an expert on doping, positive blood tests, or suspicions of positive results, but what does this mean? Did he test positive? Do they need to double check the results? Is there some arbitration court that certifies the positive results?

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [drew_235] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It means the “A” sample was positive but they have to confirm it by testing the “B” sample before naming the athlete. If both are positive, the athlete is banned. If the “B” sample is negative (highly unlikely) then that is the end of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Russians didn't just run a doping program. The had the person running the doping program also running the testing program. That's like having the crime boss also being the chief of police.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could understand beta blockers, but fitness enhancement? Geezus, I've seen some pretty harsh lickings hung on some 'fit' curlers by old beer bellied farmers half drunk having a good time. Those are always the best games.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently the B sample has confirmed the doping.

Too bad. This young lady will have to be stripped,....of her medal, of course.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
It was to increase bloodflow? I'm pretty sure the performance enhancement was not for his curling, Have you seen his wife?

he has a long stick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I could understand beta blockers, but fitness enhancement? Geezus, I've seen some pretty harsh lickings hung on some 'fit' curlers by old beer bellied farmers half drunk having a good time. Those are always the best games.

Perhaps this should be the metric by which we judge the worthiness of olympic events, per last week's thread. Athlete dopes to enhance their speed skating ability = clearly wrong. Athlete dopes to enhance their curling ability = meh, whatever.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Improving strength definitely helps with sweeping, they're not just pushing dust out of the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Improving strength definitely helps with sweeping, they're not just pushing dust out of the way.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a stupid "sport" ....

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

Meldonium is commonly prescribed in Russia. It's handed out like candy to ordinary people. Banning substances with dubious performance benefits allows WADA/IOC to appear like they are doing something about doping without making a real difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As per every doping discussion on this forum, it's the responsibility of the athlete to know which substances are banned. Regardless of the drugs efficacy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

One of the coaches was speaking on the subject and said that doping could definitely help, especially with sweeping. Apparently, several years ago, there was no standardization of the sweeping brooms, and some teams had better equipment, making it easier to sweep, giving them an advantage because it was very easy to sweep a specific curl or path for the rocks. Then they standardized the brooms, and apparently did so in a way that would require a lot of work to sweep effectively. Because of that, being heavier and stronger and having more endurance make you a better sweeper and more effective on the ice.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Corn brooms were awesome for making the ice 'swingier'. Pat Ryan (Canada) caused a huge controversy playing against Scotland back in the day when they switched from push brooms to corn brooms because the ice was very "straight". The Scot's had a shit fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't you say the same thing about salbutamol?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
As per every doping discussion on this forum, it's the responsibility of the athlete to know which substances are banned. Regardless of the drugs efficacy.

And there you go...
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should play lead on a curling team, preferably one that understands how the rock is controlled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I think you should play lead on a curling team, preferably one that understands how the rock is controlled.

Back in high school I threw Second for my somewhat competitive mens team, and Skipped a mixed team. When Skipping, I wore long sleeve shirt and jacket and still froze my ass off, when playing Second (and therefore sweeping constantly) I wore a t-shirt and was soaked with sweat. Sweeping is basically a constant HIIT workout, 10-20 seconds of flat out full body effort, followed by 2 minutes rest, six times per end, 10 ends per game. I would often have as much muscle soreness after a weekend of curling as I had after a weekend of hockey. 100% sport.

Oh, and between those "sprints", you had to settle your system down enough to regain control of your fine motor skills to be able to throw a large granite rock with perfect accuracy and weight. Like target shooting after sprinting.

During the Canadian men's game last night, the commentators said that most of the sweepers at the Olympics could drag a rock an extra 10 feet by sweeping it, and some of the them could do substantially more than that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most dissed athletic sport ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now a second OAR team member testing positive for banned substances. One of the female bobsledders has tested positive. That makes 4 total athletes testing positive so far, half of which are Russian.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doping [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if any of the Ruskie's that popped also popped retroactively from Sochi?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply