Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Z2 trainer hours
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one who can't watch movies on the trainer? Unless it is a true recovery ride, I can't seem to focus on the movie/show at all... I predominately do short interval sessions on the trainer (60-90 min) and my music suits me just fine, but it's the 2.5 hour+ rides that feel so hard.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Long Z2 trainer hours [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely am the same way. I have been doing pretty well watching the Olympics (except sometimes I get way too into the race and push my watts way too high!) or some sort of nature discovery program that if I miss portions it's ok. However, I can't watch movies because I find myself drifting and missing major parts of the plot.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Long Z2 trainer hours [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. I've no idea how people can watch TV on the trainer. I listen to music during most rides.
I don't do a lot of long and easy though. It's either TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, or Zwift racing. So if i'm doing 2:30hrs then it's going to be a serious Zwift race and banging tunes to keep me going. I've even done some TR sweetspot workouts with a Crit on YouTube to watch. There's a lot of bike-specific entertainment out there so I don't get why/how anyone could ruin their ride with having to endure normal TV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Am I the only one who can't watch movies on the trainer? Unless it is a true recovery ride, I can't seem to focus on the movie/show at all... I predominately do short interval sessions on the trainer (60-90 min) and my music suits me just fine, but it's the 2.5 hour+ rides that feel so hard.

Also, the 2.5 hr indoor ride is like equal to a 3.5 or even 4 hour typical z2 outdoor ride thanks to no coasting and no chilling out. Add to that the lack of position variety on the trainer, and it gets substantially harder to hold those long steady sessions (but still doable, you just have to train it.)
Quote Reply
Re: Long Z2 trainer hours [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Zwift fondo #3 lined up tomorrow just for long ride purposes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I’m doing shorter intervals music usually works for me. For longer intervals or strict z2 I need something to keep my occupied so go with Netflix or tv. Old itu races also do well too and they also work for harder intervals too since I don’t really need to pay attention to them.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For any workout with intervals at .9 IF or above it is music for me. I cannot focus on anything on the TV if I am doing any real work on the bike. On easy days I can do TV, but usually netflix. Watching commercials on the trainer are the longest three minutes of my life. Also, no comedies. I am in no mood to laugh when I am on the trainer and I find comedies just drag, haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Z2 trainer hours [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Walking Dead for Z2 efforts because you can miss bits without it ruining the show (after all, there are always more zombies around the next corner). Hard dubstep or drum and bass for race efforts (zwift races) or close to threshold efforts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can do movies, but lately it’s Zwift + podcasts or books “on tape”. Still boring but not terrible. I managed a century in Zwift listening to Serial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For whatever reason, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix with subtitles seems to work really well for me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watch bad / cheesy shows while on the trainer, the type of show you have to suspend belief to tolerate if you were actually able to focus on it. Netflix is full of them. What I really don’t understand is how some of these shows have been on the air for more than one season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me either. I bought a streaming subscription to watch ITU races; helped a bunch, especially after a couple hours of just music. Also, look into podcasts of something you’re interested in. Another time waster!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Long Z2 trainer hours [wayne93117] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wayne93117 wrote:
For whatever reason, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix with subtitles seems to work really well for me...

I don't know why, but the idea of subtitles might be just enough for me to manage.

It's the strangest thing, but I even in Z2, I seem to feel every ache in my legs that makes every minute crawl by.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Long Z2 trainer hours [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2.5hrs inside = 3hrs outside

I wish it was worth 3.5-4hrs lol

http://www.clperformancetraining.com
http://www.pillasport.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Subtitles are clutch, my mind often wonders just enough to not really pick up on what was said, the subtitles make it easier to understand what’s happening.

I actually have started using subtitles any time I’m watching tv or a movie. It’s amazing how much I was missing without them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

Whilst I try and ride outside I have spent extended periods doing 4 hour long rides on the turbo in the past (all depends on how bad the winter weather is!).
Watch something where the detail isn't too important is the answer. Perhaps action if movie drama, or sport.

Avoid comedy that will make you laugh at all costs! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Long Z2 trainer hours [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I truly admire those who can go 4+ hours on the trainer. If I could mentally endure it I would as well, but I train inside during the weekday year round and cannot bring myself to sit that long on the trainer on a weekend. I have done up to 3 hours with having something on the TV in the background. With the noise of the trainer and fans the only way I can hear a movie is to connect BT ear buds to Amazon Fire TV box or pick an action movie that I don't care to follow.

There are a people that I follow on Strava that do regular 5 hour sessions on Zwift.

I just as soon up the intensity to near threshold and get it done in 90 minutes, but I do admire those who can do the extended time.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Z2 trainer hours [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Also, the 2.5 hr indoor ride is like equal to a 3.5 or even 4 hour typical z2 outdoor ride thanks to no coasting and no chilling out."

2.5 hrs @XXX watts is the same no matter where you are doing it. Most people have a much harder time holding XXX watts indoors. A lot of people think that they can ride for 4 hours indoors at Z2 based on RPE, but in reality are riding at Z1. It takes a lot of discipline to truly ride the trainer effectively (more than I have) which is why I only ride outside. I'm not sure what all this coasting/chilling you refer to while riding outside is.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Z2 trainer hours [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the subtitles force you to focus a bit more hence taking your mind off the trainer. Hardest was watching Narcos though in Spanish. Man I thought my head was gonna explode in Z3.
Quote Reply