Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can Slowtwitch compromise and come to plan? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
yes. but they aren't marketed as mayhem vehicles. look, there are a lot of products marketed to take three-quarters of a man and complete him. by putting him in sexy sunglasses, muscling him up, driving a sexy, manly car. but i can't kill 50 people with a pair of sunglasses. i can with a car. yes, but the car is designed as transportation. you can't drive a rifle. the rifle, as a tool, has only one duty. the manly wristwatch makes you more of a man because the girls look at your wrist and see that you must be one hell of a man to wear that watch. the tactical rifle survives the elements and arrives ready to... tell you what time it is?

Again, I understand your point, but, you keep the narrative that the rifle's one duty is to kill people. That simply isn't true. My competition rifle was not designed to kill people. It simply wasn't. Now, you can claim it was derived from the "assault weapon" that has one purpose in life, but, you would be wrong. The rifle in the biathlon was not designed to kill people.

A lot of dorks get all tacti-cool to head to the range. The number who purchased that tacti-cool gear with the intent to kill anyone is minuscule.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Can Slowtwitch compromise and come to plan? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

yes. but they aren't marketed as mayhem vehicles. look, there are a lot of products marketed to take three-quarters of a man and complete him. by putting him in sexy sunglasses, muscling him up, driving a sexy, manly car. but i can't kill 50 people with a pair of sunglasses. i can with a car. yes, but the car is designed as transportation. you can't drive a rifle. the rifle, as a tool, has only one duty. the manly wristwatch makes you more of a man because the girls look at your wrist and see that you must be one hell of a man to wear that watch. the tactical rifle survives the elements and arrives ready to... tell you what time it is?

Again, I understand your point, but, you keep the narrative that the rifle's one duty is to kill people. That simply isn't true. My competition rifle was not designed to kill people. It simply wasn't. Now, you can claim it was derived from the "assault weapon" that has one purpose in life, but, you would be wrong. The rifle in the biathlon was not designed to kill people.

A lot of dorks get all tacti-cool to head to the range. The number who purchased that tacti-cool gear with the intent to kill anyone is minuscule.

i was careful in my selection of words. "the rifle, as a tool, has only one duty." i'm looking for an analog here. what if a fireworks manufacturer made fireworks that looked, and worked, basically like a hand grenade? and they were marketed like one? with a wink and a nod, by the manufacturer? our tactical fireworks are designed to explode bigly even after the helicopter airlifts you to the jungle, and you climb over the mountain and arrive at the enemy's - your neighbor's - house for the 4th.

notwithstanding the fact that pretty much all weapons (except hand grenades) and actions of war and survival have sporting analogs (javelin throw), the problem arrives when the manufacturer jettisons all mention of the sporting analog and goes right to the real thing. those who are damaged, impressionable, who don't get the joke, or who are "responsible gun owners" until they hit a couple of consecutive bad breaks and are flat on their backs with no hope, the messages these guys have been getting are sitting in their psyches, brewing, and i don't think they've been laying their heads on the pillow at night fantasizing about turning the other cheek.

i'm not saying we should legislate our way out of a culture that is priming these guys for mayhem. but i do think it might be helpful if tacticool became tacticuncool.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i was careful in my selection of words. "the rifle, as a tool, has only one duty." i'm looking for an analog here. what if a fireworks manufacturer made fireworks that looked, and worked, basically like a hand grenade? and they were marketed like one? with a wink and a nod, by the manufacturer? our tactical fireworks are designed to explode bigly even after the helicopter airlifts you to the jungle, and you climb over the mountain and arrive at the enemy's - your neighbor's - house for the 4th.

I still disagree that the rifle, as a tool, has only the duty to kill people. That simply is not true. That is like saying the bow and arrow, as a tool, has only the duty to kill people. Also not true.

Slowman wrote:
i'm not saying we should legislate our way out of a culture that is priming these guys for mayhem. but i do think it might be helpful if tacticool became tacticuncool.

Yep. As I mentioned before, I agree with you here. I wish they would tone that down.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I still disagree that the rifle, as a tool, has only the duty to kill people. That simply is not true. That is like saying the bow and arrow, as a tool, has only the duty to kill people. Also not true.

Slowman wrote:

Yep. As I mentioned before, I agree with you here. I wish they would tone that down.

the bow and arrow, as a tool, also has the duty to kill animals. what other thing do you think it's used for? as a game, as a contest, the bow and arrow is used in a different way. sporting in this context is the peaceful emulation of a serious and often deadly purpose. hunting is, in a way, similar. you don't need to hunt to eat. but hunting, just like running or swimming or hiking, is a way to connect with hardwired behaviors that resonate with us.

i'm not hear to denigrate a peaceful emulation of a primal survival skill. it's what this site is all about. just, nobody invented the gun, or the bow and arrow, as a game prop. the unadorned purpose of each was to reduce a large living thing to a large unliving thing. i think you and i also agree that the marketing of these has gone haywire, where the makers have decided to shift their marketing focus away from sport, or animal hunting, and toward the real thing, and the weak among us have taken the bait.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

the bow and arrow, as a tool, also has the duty to kill animals. what other thing do you think it's used for? as a game, as a contest, the bow and arrow is used in a different way. sporting in this context is the peaceful emulation of a serious and often deadly purpose. hunting is, in a way, similar. you don't need to hunt to eat. but hunting, just like running or swimming or hiking, is a way to connect with hardwired behaviors that resonate with us.

i'm not hear to denigrate a peaceful emulation of a primal survival skill. it's what this site is all about. just, nobody invented the gun, or the bow and arrow, as a game prop. the unadorned purpose of each was to reduce a large living thing to a large unliving thing. i think you and i also agree that the marketing of these has gone haywire, where the makers have decided to shift their marketing focus away from sport, or animal hunting, and toward the real thing, and the weak among us have taken the bait.

So you admit the bow, as a tool, has the "duty" to kill animals in hunting. Not people. Same with the rifle.

Yes, you and I agree on the marketing aspect.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

So you admit the bow, as a tool, has the "duty" to kill animals in hunting. Not people. Same with the rifle.

Yes, you and I agree on the marketing aspect.

no. the bow, as a tool, has the job of killing animals and people. same as the rifle. if the rifle didn't perform the task of killing people, soldiers would go back and get their bows and swords. but the rifle, as we know, is pretty good at performing that task.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

no. the bow, as a tool, has the job of killing animals and people. same as the rifle. if the rifle didn't perform the task of killing people, soldiers would go back and get their bows and swords. but the rifle, as we know, is pretty good at performing that task.

So, the rifle used in the Olympic Biathlon has the job of killing people?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

So, the rifle used in the Olympic Biathlon has the job of killing people?

this is going to be the last post on this, so, when i'm done, you post, you'll win the internets, and we can all move onto something more useful.

alternatively, perhaps i'm misreading you, and maybe you actually honestly want to have a meaningful exchange here, and the problem we're having is one of terms and definitions (in which case i'm happy to be the person at fault for not adequately defining my terms).

what i wrote above is that we have the "real" reason certain tech and implements came into being: spears, bows and arrows, guns, swords, etc., and that reason was to render large living things unliving. i think you know this.

over the course of the last 2,500 or so years civilization has developed a kind of peacetime homage to the survival skills and tech. boxing, wrestling, running, swimming, archery, marksmanship, heck, even the javelin throw. these are "games". we laugh during these games. we shake hands. we congratulate. we don't kill. we are not enemies when we engage in games that mimic the "real" use of the tech.

so, there is a bifurcation, which i'm sure you're aware of, between the uses of these technologies, and that bifurcation divides the "game" use from the "tool" use.

the other definition that might be helpful is what i mean by "tool". in my parlance, for the purpose of this discussion, a tool is an implement that serves a "real life" purpose, i.e., the reason the tech was developed in the first place. the marksmanship rifle was not the first rifle to be developed. the archery bow was not the first bow to be developed. the "game" versions came along afterward, to celebrate the tech in a peacefully competitive way.

the gun - just like the bow before it - has two uses as a tool: providing sustenance; and killing your human enemy (and conversely helping to remain alive in case your enemy wants to kill you). the gun, and the bow, are legitimate civilian, non-commercial (excluding police, security, etc.) possessions if, and only if, they are owned and used as either "game" implements or used as "tools" if limited to peaceful endeavors (self-protection and sustenance).

the problem we have today is that there is a conflation in the design and marketing of the "peaceful" tool (or the game version of the tech) and the wartime tool. this guy...

... is not endeavoring to redeem his deer tag. nor is he at a range. nor is he in a peaceful competition. this is the marketing you use if you want to sell a gun to somebody who wants a weapon that will do what the fellow in this picture is doing. this image is creating a picture in the mind of the consumer of the gun you buy if you want to be a sniper, and the thing you have in your sights is another human, and you want that gun to be reliably ready to deliver the payload to that human with maximum carnage. this image is backed up with terms like "tactical", and "tactical" is now a recognized genus of gun in this industry.

this is a sick culture. this is sick marketing. this marketing works. and it worked last week in florida.

i don't know what i can do, myself, to change the culture. i obviously have my own ideas as to what policies i think would bear the most fruit. i'm very willing to hear what others have to say. i don't have all the wisdom. i only know one thing for certain: if we keep doing what we're doing, we'll keep getting what we're getting. therefore, my only adversary in this is the person who thinks the best thing to do is what we're now doing, or who provides feckless head fakes as arguments (which amounts to us changing basically nothing).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 21, 18 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the problem we have today is that there is a conflation in the design and marketing of the "peaceful" tool (or the game version of the tech) and the wartime tool. this guy...

[inline tactical_rifle_lg.jpg]

... is not endeavoring to redeem his deer tag. nor is he at a range. nor is he in a peaceful competition. this is the marketing you use if you want to sell a gun to somebody who wants a weapon that will do what the fellow in this picture is doing. this image is creating a picture in the mind of the consumer of the gun you buy if you want to be a sniper, and the thing you have in your sights is another human, and you want that gun to be reliably ready to deliver the payload to that human with maximum carnage. this image is backed up with terms like "tactical", and "tactical" is now a recognized genus of gun in this industry.

this is a sick culture. this is sick marketing. this marketing works. and it worked last week in florida.

This isn't really new. Firearms and weapons of all types have been marketed this way for hundreds of years. Warriors have basically always been viewed as a specific subsection of society, and frequently held up as an example of masculinity, toughness, etc. Six-shooters were marketed based on their ability to kill Indians. Big nasty looking knives have been marketed the same way, or based on things like Rambo. Ninja stars, BB guns, you name it, weapons are sold and marketed this way. The idea is to show the consumer someone who is a "badass" in real life, so you can feel like a badass on the range, plinking at targets. I don't think most people who might be in the market for that weapon see the image above and think to themselves about how they'd like to buy that gun and shred through human tissue. They think about how it makes a big noise, can wreck the hell out of an old car on a range, etc. And they think about how they'd feel like a badass pulling the trigger, hearing the noise, feeling the recoil, etc.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
6. a list of things can cause you to lose your right to own a gun: spousal abuse; aggravated assault; drunk driving; drafting (had to get that in there). you MUST retire ALL guns. failure to do so: jail time.
7. harder is the mental health, or public statements, thing. i'm going to need some help on how we legally solve that. i'm out of my depth. that seems hard.

Haven't the entire thread yet, so this might be mentioned. Only a few (4 or 5) states currently are able to remove a gun from a person in #6 & 7. I'd have that expanded.

While it's listed on the form to purchase a new gun, it doesn't help if someone purchased years ago, then something happened to their mental state, or was convicted. I'd rather it be a court decision or judge instead of just the physician documenting something in a record. But I deal with physicians attempting to commit fraud mostly so I'm a bit biased there. I see enough mis-documented, or false documentation already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't know what i can do, myself, to change the culture. i obviously have my own ideas as to what policies i think would bear the most fruit. i'm very willing to hear what others have to say. i don't have all the wisdom. i only know one thing for certain: if we keep doing what we're doing, we'll keep getting what we're getting. therefore, my only adversary in this is the person who thinks the best thing to do is what we're now doing, or who provides feckless head fakes as arguments (which amounts to us changing basically nothing).

^^^This.

What I believe:
  1. I'd rather have an armed adult (preferably many armed adults) protecting my daughter in the case of an active shooter.
  2. I don't think guns are inherently evil.
  3. I don't see a "need" to own multiple guns, but I also don't see a problem with that so long as the guns are used responsibly.
  4. Some people are just bad people.
  5. The Constitution is important to me.
  6. Individual rights are important to me.
  7. We can not legislate stupid and evil out of the world.
  8. If I could wave my magic wand and make all "killers" disappear from the earth forever, I would.
  9. Absent the ability to perform Number 8, if I could wave my magic wand and make all guns disappear from the earth, I would.
  10. I am absolutely exhausted with every position having to be supported by precedent and have complete consistency with every other position or hypothetical. Examples: Pro-life...What about rape and incest? Ban guns...Are you going to ban knives, too?
  11. There's too much specious information in our discourse (most notably on cable news, talk radio, and social media) and the average person lacks the intelligence and desire to vet any of this.
  12. Maybe most important, I don't believe the average person has the ability to admit they are wrong and/or change their mind.

I have no idea how that translates into crafting universal gun policy.
Last edited by: DJRed: Feb 21, 18 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a solution or at least a step in the right direction before we have a civil war over this (over dramatic for effect).

If we as a country would like to make any inroads into this or any of the other huge issues facing our country, states, counties and municipalities - we need to first compromise on one thing, an easy thing, something that just probably could save our country - "fix (stop) political re-redistricting (Gerrymandering)".

The current (manipulated) system is set so that only ultra left wing and ultra right wing individuals can win primary elections...hell its a race for how left and right they can go.

That gives us morons to vote for in general elections - at all levels.

We are not going to have any compromise, any discussions much less well thought-out-laws addressing any problem while our leadership gets selected from the fringes.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can Slowtwitch compromise and come to plan? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a better distillation of Dan's point that there's a company out there deliberately playing on the "Modern Sporting Rifle" designation by marketing a range of "Modern Savage Rifle"(s)? They look exactly like you'd expect - this, but a gun:

I think the most frustrating aspect of this debate for a lot of gun control advocates is the sense that there might be a large segment of gun enthusiasts who have more in common with them than the stereotypical gun-nut. Gun owners who think the banning research into the causes of gun violence - whatever they'd be willing to do with the results - is cowardly and indefensible. Gun owners who would gladly limit the "right" of 18 year olds to own semi-automatic rifles for which they have no use, if in doing so they could engender a return to a nation-wide acceptance of hunting and armed self-defense as a distinctly American pastime and concern respectively.

6-7% of gun owners are NRA members, maximum. Of the remaining 93% a chunk are presumably criminals, a chunk more would have no truck with any membership organization, but what about the balance? Are guns an apolitical issue for them or do they just not have the right advocate?

Why doesn't someone start another pro gun, pro second amendment membership organization called the "National Gun Heritage Organization." Why don't they try to change the visible face of US gun culture with trade magazines, gun shows, advertisements and lobbying, away from semi-automatic rifles to bolt-action rifles and self-defense revolvers? Why don't they give permission to all the soccer moms out there worried about personal safety but unwilling to support the current gun industry by endorsing a national network of ultra-vetted dealers that subscribe to a far stricter code of conduct (including background checks and age limits) than most states current prescribe? Why don't they allow the gun owners who don't want to be identified with the toxic aspects of US gun culture to distinguish themselves by entering their guns into a voluntary registration system - carfax for guns if you like? Why don't they make membership contingent on light "continuing education" requirements of the sort most professions require?

Does this reconciliation have to happen (or not happen) from the top down? Can it start from the bottom up?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Can Slowtwitch compromise and come to plan? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's part of the same idea. I hate the idea that our politics has become so pay to play and I particularly hare the fact that the people most willing to pay are, on any issue, the zealots. Most people are moderately concerned about the environment, most people have a vague sense that they'd like sensible gun laws, most people feel there's probably a reasonable balance between the medical rights of pregnant women and the "rights" of unborn foetuses...and very few of them have an effective advocate or way to rundraise for any of these positions.

Could a more moderate gun organization outspend the NRA and give our "representatives" a way to moderate their positions?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Can Slowtwitch compromise and come to plan? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
I think the most frustrating aspect of this debate for a lot of gun control advocates

Fake News, you're not a gun control advocate, you're anti-gun.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
this is a sick culture.

Yes

Quote:
this is sick marketing.

Yes

Quote:
this marketing works.

Yes

Quote:
and it worked last week in florida.

Did it? I completely agree with you about the distastefulness of a subpopulation of the gun culture. I'm just not sure these are the people that end up shooting up a school. I mean, if that were the case we'd have 1000x the number of mass shootings and domestic sniper killings. This kid didn't seem "whirled away by the allure of gun marketing". Honestly, I think he was in the "severe mental issues" grouping. But like you, I'm open to hear and see what the facts are.
Last edited by: SH: Feb 21, 18 16:13
Quote Reply
Re: Can Slowtwitch compromise and come to plan? [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigringonly wrote:

Borrowed from a Facebook post..............

Don’t pass laws restricting gun ownership.
Pass laws assigning liability to anyone who puts a gun in the hands of someone who shoots people with it.
Gun shops, private sellers, and gun manufacturers need to be told, “You can sell all the guns you want. But if your gun kills someone, you’re responsible for it.”
Gun sellers will plead, “How can we know if someone is going to shoot up a school?”
And our response should be, “Good question. But for your own sake, you better figure it out.”
If the gun lobby is going to continue to block everyone else’s solutions, it’s time to put the ball in their court.
Stop the problem, or face the consequences.
This would not be an infringement of the Second Amendment. It does not restrict ownership of firearms. It simply places responsibility where it belongs. If you want to traffic firearms, you’re going to be liable if those guns hurt people.
If you don’t want the liability, don’t sell the guns. Plain and simple.
Imagine the impact this would have on the sale of high-capacity magazines, assault rifles, and other firearms used in mass shootings. Gun dealers would finally have to make an honest assessment of the risk these weapons pose to society, and the liability they would face by selling them.
As it stands now, gun dealers are only motivated to sell more guns. Change the scope of responsibility, and their interests would rapidly align with the common good.
Manufacturers of weapons commonly used in these mass shootings would suddenly have to answer the question everyone else in society now asks — is it really worth the risk?
Let’s leave it to them to make that decision. If they choose to continue to proliferate these weapons, they can assume responsibility for the outcome.

This is the dumbest attempt at a solution that I have seen to date.
Quote Reply
Re: Can Slowtwitch compromise and come to plan? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:
this is a sick culture.

Yes

Quote:
this is sick marketing.

Yes

Quote:
this marketing works.

Yes

Quote:
and it worked last week in florida.

Did it? I completely agree with you about the distastefulness of a subpopulation of the gun culture. I'm just not sure these are the people that end up shooting up a school. I mean, if that were the case we'd have 1000x the number of mass shootings and domestic sniper killings. This kid didn't seem "whirled away by the allure of gun marketing". Honestly, I think he was in the "severe mental issues" grouping. But like you, I'm open to hear and see what the facts are.

of all the sorts of guns for sale, don't you find it interesting that almost all the shooters who kill a lot of people end up with this kind of gun. i mean, what are the odds? you could buy, much more cheaply, a semi automatic hunting rifle. and, really, this is what a lot of the gun apologists here will tell you. they're just dolled up hunting rifles. so why not spend $500 instead of $1,500 and get a semi auto hunting rifle?

there is an industry out there, money to be made, telling you that you should be very, very angry. paralleling (and in lock step with) that industry is another one telling you about a gun that wreaks big time mayhem, and all the angry folks have it. stephen paddock was angry, adam lanza was angry, nikolas cruz was angry.

i'm done writing. if you can't figure it out for yourself, nothing i can write is going to convince you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

of all the sorts of guns for sale, don't you find it interesting that almost all the shooters who kill a lot of people end up with this kind of gun. i mean, what are the odds? you could buy, much more cheaply, a semi automatic hunting rifle. and, really, this is what a lot of the gun apologists here will tell you. they're just dolled up hunting rifles. so why not spend $500 instead of $1,500 and get a semi auto hunting rifle?

Because the media has taught us that these are the scary guns. The people who perform such acts are trying to create fear.

They are also pretty efficient, I'll give you that.

However, I don't think the average mass murderer would be a whole lot less effective with modern pistols though. It's not as if they are shooting people at long range where the accuracy of a rifle becomes a necessity. A modern pistol can deliver a lot of lead in a short period of time, carry 15-17 rounds, reload in a couple of seconds, and you can be shooting 2 of them at a time if you're really motivated. Hell, you could carry several of them at a time for the near instant 'texas reload' or in case of jam/malfunction.

But the assault rifles are scary. I think that's why a big reason why they are chosen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
i'm done writing. if you can't figure it out for yourself, nothing i can write is going to convince you.
You wrote one reply!
Quote Reply
Re: Can Slowtwitch compromise and come to plan? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So...

Still no compromise plan?

Guess we answered the question. NO

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Can Slowtwitch compromise and come to plan? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Slowman wrote:
1. limit magazines to 9 rounds. outlaw bump stocks.
2. phase out the ownership of ANY gun of ANY type that isn't biokeyed to its owner (over 10 years). those who don't turn in guns upon their retirement date face jail time. those whose guns are "stolen" face a fine for having their guns "stolen" (better lock them up tight; onus is on the gun owner.)
3. gun manufacturers have 3 years to conform to a biological key.
4. guns cannot be sold past the original owner except for registered antiques and collectibles; however they can be inherited to background qualified heirs.
5. each state maintains the right to enact its own gun laws so long as they are not unconstitutional.
6. a list of things can cause you to lose your right to own a gun: spousal abuse; aggravated assault; drunk driving; drafting (had to get that in there). you MUST retire ALL guns. failure to do so: jail time.
7. harder is the mental health, or public statements, thing. i'm going to need some help on how we legally solve that. i'm out of my depth. that seems hard.

No disrespect meant, but you listed 7 things, 6 of which would not have prevented the Parkland shooting and you punted on the 7th. So not only are your suggestions not certain to do anything about future events. They don't even address past events where we know what the breakdown was. This falls into the category of doing something/anything because the hard stuff is hard.

We need to start with 7. We need to recognize that some people will be caught in a wide mental illness net and then we'll apologize. I strip naked every time I fly because one yahoo tried to blow himself up. I also can't travel a bottle of water. Water.

The perfect solution for mental illness is not out there yet, but let's not delay trying to find it out of fear of hurting feelings. I don't have any problem swinging the pendulum too far. Any indication at all of mental health issues, no guns for you. I'll say it again. I don't care if the net is originally cast too wide. I'll apologize later.

Add anything else on your list you'd like if it makes you feel better. They're window dressing to me.

We have to intervene at the point of the individual and focus on prevention and not neutralization.

Why do you need to start with 7? You don't see a similar rate of mass shootings and school massacres in other comparable countries. Why is that? Here's a clue, it isn't because they have a significantly reduced incidence of mental illness or that they are much better at detection and treatment.

Gun advocates just need to man up and admit that this is all about their individual rights being valued above the risk of innocent strangers getting caught up in a shooting. Blaming mental health is the biggest cop out. The issue is guns. It has always been guns and it will continue to be guns. There are 'çrazy' people all over the world. This isn't happening all over the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
1. limit magazines to 9 rounds. outlaw bump stocks.
2. phase out the ownership of ANY gun of ANY type that isn't biokeyed to its owner (over 10 years). those who don't turn in guns upon their retirement date face jail time. those whose guns are "stolen" face a fine for having their guns "stolen" (better lock them up tight; onus is on the gun owner.)
3. gun manufacturers have 3 years to conform to a biological key.
4. guns cannot be sold past the original owner except for registered antiques and collectibles; however they can be inherited to background qualified heirs.
5. each state maintains the right to enact its own gun laws so long as they are not unconstitutional.

may I again"propose" ( for incorporation into the current discussio)

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=proposal#p5824913

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply

Prev Next