Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Movie Review: Black Panther [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
As I mentioned, I haven't seen the movi , but have they started producing and cheap mass selling Panther superhero masks? Is there a mask?

If it's an anonymous mass produced mask, then who cares? But is that an issue yet that anyone has complained about, other then Perseus' preemptive defense?

And why the personal attacks? So far, you've accused me of being drunk and having issues. Are you Sphere's personal defender? Yes, I asked if he was triggered by the likely very few social media posts he's seen.

It just seemed like you were very quick to conflate Panther masks with blackface, which to me is ludicrous, and then you dismissively swatted away sphere’s mention of this as a “trigger,” instead of actually trying to understand what he said. And, are you seriously trying to argue that you didn’t know that sphere was talking about some cheap mask? What exactly did you think he was talking about?

I think you're conflating my response to Perseus (who was speculating about some future, anticipated response to costumes, without ever having mentioned masks) with my response to Sphere.(who saw a few social media posts and apparently thinks that anecdotal evidence is indicative of something).

I can't claim to argue that sphere wasn't talking about some cheap mask, as he never mentioned a mask. In fact, you're the first person to mention a mask in this thread. I was responding to Sphere's claim about all the social media posts, and the point I was making was that his anecdotal evidence didn't mean shit.

But, again, thanks for the personal attack. At least I limited my comments to the actual posts. You still go for "drunk" and "issues.," I think less of you after this exchange.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Black Panther [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
spot wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
As I mentioned, I haven't seen the movi , but have they started producing and cheap mass selling Panther superhero masks? Is there a mask?

If it's an anonymous mass produced mask, then who cares? But is that an issue yet that anyone has complained about, other then Perseus' preemptive defense?

And why the personal attacks? So far, you've accused me of being drunk and having issues. Are you Sphere's personal defender? Yes, I asked if he was triggered by the likely very few social media posts he's seen.

It just seemed like you were very quick to conflate Panther masks with blackface, which to me is ludicrous, and then you dismissively swatted away sphere’s mention of this as a “trigger,” instead of actually trying to understand what he said. And, are you seriously trying to argue that you didn’t know that sphere was talking about some cheap mask? What exactly did you think he was talking about?

I think you're conflating my response to Perseus (who was speculating about some future, anticipated response to costumes, without ever having mentioned masks) with my response to Sphere.(who saw a few social media posts and apparently thinks that anecdotal evidence is indicative of something).

I can't claim to argue that sphere wasn't talking about some cheap mask, as he never mentioned a mask. In fact, you're the first person to mention a mask in this thread. I was responding to Sphere's claim about all the social media posts, and the point I was making was that his anecdotal evidence didn't mean shit.

But, again, thanks for the personal attack. At least I limited my comments to the actual posts. You still go for "drunk" and "issues.," I think less of you after this exchange.

My apologies, my intent was more snark than personal attack, so if I have offended you, sorry. It seemed very apparent to me that what was being discussed was cheap Halloween masks, given that was what was being discussed several posts before you jumped in (see sphere’s post about the article on Fatherly). I assumed you were aware of that, hence my derision at your post about blackface and triggers.

Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

If you have somehow managed to avoid every single advertisement and product placement for one the highest grossing movies of all time then why would jump to conclusion and suggest people are promoting black face rather than educating yourself? Are you stupid or willfully ignorant?

Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Black Panther [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

If you have somehow managed to avoid every single advertisement and product placement for one the highest grossing movies of all time then why would jump to conclusion and suggest people are promoting black face rather than educating yourself? Are you stupid or willfully ignorant?

Haven’t seen the movie. Haven’t seen the trailer. Haven’t seen yo costume.

I guess that either makes me stupid or willfully ignorant. Perhaps both.

What I also haven’t seen are kids wearing the costumes because they want to emulate a hero. I also haven’t seen conplaints about kids wearing these costumes. So personal attacks aside, what’s your point? Seems like a preemptive attack on a potential viewpoint that hasn’t yet (sphere’s social media experiences aside) materialized. In which case, a reasonable question is why are you raising it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Perseus wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

Haven’t seen the movie. Haven’t seen the trailer. Haven’t seen yo costume.

I guess that either makes me stupid or willfully ignorant. Perhaps both.

What I also haven’t seen are kids wearing the costumes because they want to emulate a hero. I also haven’t seen conplaints about kids wearing these costumes. So personal attacks aside, what’s your point? Seems like a preemptive attack on a potential viewpoint that hasn’t yet (sphere’s social media experiences aside) materialized. In which case, a reasonable question is why are you raising it.

If you're unfamiliar with the subject matter then why are you jumping to the conclusion that I'm encouraging my kids to black face? I've made a few suggestions as to why but I'll let you decide which is most appropriate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I mentioned kids dressing up like this character. When in your lifetime has "dressing up" like a character meant wearing Blackface?

Ever?

And I wasn't offering a one-off anecdote of a "social media post" as the authority for what is or isn't permissible. The mood around this film has been from the outset, that it's a superhero movie about black people, for black people. That article, and others, reflect that sentiment, and cite Cultural Appropriation as the rule that stands to be violated by white people dressing their kids as Black Panther. Fatherly isn't the first or only outlet to suggest that, either, so make of that what you will. It may not mean shit to you, and frankly, it doesn't mean shit to me. If my kids want to emulate that character at Halloween, as kids of all races and genders have for decades with Superman, Spiderman, Wonder Woman, Thor, Hulk, etc. etc., I won't give it a moment's hesitation, and I'm fairly certain my black friends and neighbors won't, either, because best I can tell, they're not a bunch of hypersensitive racist twats.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next