Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dressel [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dressel is Florida’s sprint freestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch him swim the lead off leg in the 4x200...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great meet by the A&M ladies lead by Pickrem. Javi Acevedo swam well winning the 100 Back and 2nd in the 200.

Quah won the 200 fly, she turned 17 in December so she is young for a college swimmer.
https://swimswam.com/...ers-footsteps-video/

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
Watch him swim the lead off leg in the 4x200...

Just for the hell of it, I looked Caeleb up using USA Swimming's times search function. Surprisingly, his best time ever in the 200 yd free is 1:33.42 which he swam at the 2017 "Last Chance Meet". Surely with a 40.00 100 yd free he can go much faster but apparently to date he has not. Maybe he'll break out at this year's NCAAs and go sub-1:30; it would certainly seem he could with that 40 flat 100 time, not to mention his 1:38 200 IM. We'll see...

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel [BrzilianTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrzilianTri wrote:
3 individual events is the limit for all college meets with a full schedule of events. For most dual meets is only 2 because not all events are scheduled.

Does this include the NCAAs???

Quote Reply
Re: Dressel [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, yes.

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 events max, 3 individual max.

So 2 individual 5 relays, or 3 individual and 4 relays. That applies at conference and NCAA meets.

I think dual meet is a 4 event limit (3ind/1relay or 2/2) but can't remember exactly.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going back to Dressel's 200 free, I dunno if he goes for that as an individual event. I mean, he COULD, but will that jeopardize his chances in the 50 and the 100, especially given that (IMO) the 200 is the deepest event in men's swimming at both the world level and at the US national level. For Dressel the 200 is much more of a crapshoot than the 50 / 100 / 100 fly / 200 IM

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree - and I certainly see him contributing to the 4x200 on the international stage.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrzilianTri wrote:
As far as I know, yes.

Thanks Tiago. Are you a current or former NCAA swimmer???

Quote Reply
Re: Dressel [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
his usuals
50 / 100 free
100 fly
relays
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
7 events max, 3 individual max.

So 2 individual 5 relays, or 3 individual and 4 relays. That applies at conference and NCAA meets.

I think dual meet is a 4 event limit (3ind/1relay or 2/2) but can't remember exactly.

Kind of interesting that the NCAAs are diff from the Oly where as far as i've been able to determine, there is actually no limit on the number of events one swimmer can swim. Apparently, the Oly rules only regulate the number of swimmers (2) per event that a country can enter in each event, but not the number of events one swimmer can enter. Maybe the diff is b/c the NCAAs are a 5-day meet vs 8 days for the Oly???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam D1 a while ago, 99-03.
The difference for NCAA is that swimming is really a team sport. We are competing as a team and I think the limits are to help keep things competitive between team. Some of the smaller conference meets are just 3 days, not that this a the main cause of the limits. For age group and masters swimming a lot of the meets are only 2 or 3 days and individuals can swim a whole lot of events.

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Not really a "B" meet exactly - it is the conference championships, I'm sure he's not fully tapered from a training load standpoint, but there's something to the team dynamic of swimming with a bunch of guys who are that gets you mentally pumped to perform.

yes, a B meet for Dressel maybe but an A meet for most of the swimmers there..
Went to see MIAC (MN conference meet) last weekend, my first college conference championships - very hot, very loud, very intense. I'm emotionally shattered just from spectating..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
especially given that (IMO) the 200 is the deepest event in men's swimming at both the world level and at the US national level.//

I'm not sure I agree with that, the 100 is probably as deep if not more so, and a lot more guys swim the 100 than the 200. I think what you are imposing on his schedule is the fact that he is already so dominant in the 50/100. He has already proven he is the best ever in those two events, so yes at the moment those are the sort of locks in his schedule. But it is entirely possible that he dominates the 200 too, maybe even by a second. If he were to be a second ahead of the pack in that race, it would be a bigger lock than the two events where a blown start or turn could take you out of the medals.

But of course we have to see a great 200 first, SCY then LCM. I have a guy feeling it is going to go well...(-; But at the very least he is going to be on that 4x200, probably the leadoff too. Maybe not swim the 200 but get the WR leading off the relay? It is just going to be really tough for him on what he wants to do. Go for all time glory like Spitz and Phelps, or play it safe with 5 to 7 swims. Part of the calculation is of course going to be the olympic schedule, but as I recall Phelps and Lochte swam back to back finals on the same night.

He really needs to do that 400IM, one event in one day, no distractions...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrzilianTri wrote:
I swam D1 a while ago, 99-03.
The difference for NCAA is that swimming is really a team sport. We are competing as a team and I think the limits are to help keep things competitive between team. Some of the smaller conference meets are just 3 days, not that this a the main cause of the limits. For age group and masters swimming a lot of the meets are only 2 or 3 days and individuals can swim a whole lot of events.

Ah yes, i had kind of forgotten about the team aspect of college swimming. And ya, I've been to around 50 Masters meets and some of those guys/girls will do 5 events per day. I've never thought i was decent enough in anything but the 200 and 500 free, plus the 1000 or 1650 if offered, to enter any other events. Sure, in theory i could swim any of them legally, but i hate coming in last or next to last in my AG. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Dressel [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post! Always awesome talking about Caeleb Dressel. Major kudos to his work ethic and talent as well as the great foundation he brought with him from the Bolles swim team, and the brilliant work done by Coach Troy at Florida Gators which has really taken Caeleb to that next level. Tokyo 2020 will be amazing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next