Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much do you tip movers?
Quote | Reply
Ok, that question is for anyone who isn't named DavHamm.

I have no idea as I have never used movers before. My friends expect payment of a dinner.

Anyway, I am not moving but SIL asked me and I have no clue.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Professional movers or friends ?

We had a crew of 4 pack and then unpack 1 large truck. They worked morning of both settlements.
$50 / guy

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Professional.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its professional, Id say $25-40 a mover. I have only done it once, but I tipped them between loading and unloading as we were signing the closing papers in that period. I gave the money to the foreman with the other guys seeing it and pretty much told them lunch is on us, this was in hopes that they were motivated to move faster and be more careful unloading.

If it was friends....pizza and beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always used the pizza and beer method along with the promise to help them move should the need ever arise.. But I assume professional movers would feel weird just having you come over to help them load their shit up.

Depends how much the total bill is. I don't think I'd go over 10% of the bill, but I also wouldn't go less than $20/person. And if it was a crew that busted their ass, took really good care of my stuff and made sure stuff got in the right room I might over tip into the 50 - 100 range.

I tend to really appreciate people who go out of their way to help me and do a good job, especially when it is a lower paying job. I'd never tip my lawyer or doctor no matter how good they were, but if a pizza guy or stone delivery guy goes out of their way treats me well I tend to open my wallet.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I have no idea as I have never used movers before. My friends expect payment of a dinner.

Honestly I'm not sure it would occur to me to tip professional movers* (I am not a DavHamm alias), but then again, I didn't realize tipping the cleaning staff in hotels was even a thing until a few years ago :)

Friends I'd buy a six pack of good beer.

*What is the social rules for what gets tipped and what doesn't?
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Professional movers or friends ?

We had a crew of 4 pack and then unpack 1 large truck. They worked morning of both settlements.
$50 / guy

That's about right. We used Two Men and a Truck a decade ago. $100 for them at the end of the move and clean-up.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Depends how much the total bill is. I don't think I'd go over 10% of the bill, but I also wouldn't go less than $20/person. And if it was a crew that busted their ass, took really good care of my stuff and made sure stuff got in the right room I might over tip into the 50 - 100 range.

I tend to really appreciate people who go out of their way to help me and do a good job, especially when it is a lower paying job. I'd never tip my lawyer or doctor no matter how good they were, but if a pizza guy or stone delivery guy goes out of their way treats me well I tend to open my wallet.

For professionals, this would be my approach. To the bolded part, I'd add service providers that tend to help you out in a pinch.

Our water heater failed two nights ago, so last night I helped a contractor replace the unit and some plumbing that needed updating. It was clearly his job, and he wasn't going charge me below cost, but the guy went out of his way to fill in for my normal plumber, and he did an excellent job. I had a figure in mind that the job was worth, so when he came in below my figure, I tipped him the difference (roughly 10%, as it turns out).

We treat our service providers well as our need for them is almost never routine. Having a couple of reliable plumbers, electricians, and handy men on your good side is some pretty inexpensive insurance.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Honestly I'm not sure it would occur to me to tip professional movers* (I am not a DavHamm alias), but then again, I didn't realize tipping the cleaning staff in hotels was even a thing until a few years ago :)

My wife was more insistent on this one. I kind of figured I had already paid for them to be there for both days. In hindsight I’m missing stuff from when we moved so maybe I didn’t tip enough. Nothing was broken though.

I think the maid service in hotel is dependent upon how much of a pig you are. I keep things pretty neat. I have a brother who leave the place a mess. He tips more then I do.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add to your question... if you are not moving locally, do you tip the loaders AND the unloaders?

I recently moved across the country and while the thought crossed my mind to tip, I ended up not. The loaders had a full crew or 5 guys and took an exorbitant amount of time packing and loading my 1-person household - and were late showing up. I was told I wasn't allowed to leave the property, and since I had shut off the electricity and it was summer, I just sat there sweating my ass off while they took breaks every 30 minutes. If you're supposed to tip for good service, I don't feel bad about not tipping in their case. The unloaders were more efficient, but didn't assemble my bed properly and broke a table without letting me know. They were also in a huge hurry to leave, so I was like OK, see ya, I won't worry about getting a tip for you.

Someone mentioned tipping $50 a guy, so for me that would have been an additional $500 for a 1-person household move (two crews of 5 guys each)? Is that the general consensus?
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Someone mentioned tipping $50 a guy, so for me that would have been an additional $500 for a 1-person household move (two crews of 5 guys each)? Is that the general consensus?

It was $50 a guy but we had the same crew both days so really $25 / guy / day.

I should add our crew did some extra work as they were "not happy" about the way some stuff was packed or lack of packing I guess. My wife was pretty proud of herself for packing up the place and did yeoman's work in completing the task. She asked them kidding around to grade her effort. They gave her a B -.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

We moved a few years ago and I think I threw $200 to the lead man. He had 4 guys helping him on the loading end, and 3 of them came with him to unload. I also fed them a LOT. It was a Pack and Move situation, so they spent 3.5 days packing my stuff and 1 day unloading. I fed them lunch 3 days, as well as the tip. It was a relo move, and my company said tipping was purely optional, and that the movers were compensated fully for their time (I saw the bill after the fact, and yea they were).

As far as the hotel thing above, I still refuse to do this. Not sure how this got started, but I'm a clean person, and at some level, they are getting paid to do their job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had professional movers about once every two-three years for the the past 25 years since the Navy moves me so often. They're getting paid pretty well. I usually have a set of people that come to pack everything, then maybe a separate set who load it all into the truck, then on the other end, a sort of movers to unload the truck into the new place. I usually tip enough for everyone in the crew to grab lunch. That usually means about $10-15 per person. More if they did a great job. Less if they sucked, which is more common.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the guys that do the "packing" I buy lunch.

For the guys that load/unload it is $150 split by the crew for both pick-up and delivery, so $300. This for a 2 bedroom apartment.

I do hand the money to each guy doing the work though, rather than giving it all to the crew chief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who worked for a moving company for two years it was very common to be tipped. I saw tips anywhere in the range of $5 all the way up to $200 per man. Also, there were times that we did not get tips. Have to take the good with the bad. Depends on the type of move and the type of customer. In general, I would average about $40 per move. Some days that was two or three moves. Our company would usually schedule a crew or two that were catching single room apartments or garden homes multiple jobs per day. We were always on the careful side, on time, would phone ahead, and well as being quick. It wasn't uncommon for us to have a crew of four guys come and pack, load (two full straight, box trucks), transport across town, and unload a 4-6 bedroom house in a single day. I would always end up having to use a change of clothes at lunch due to being drenched in sweat. It definitely helped to be honest and straight forward with customers, reporting damage either before moving an item or if we were the cause. It also helped that the people I worked with were very experienced and knew how to properly move items to negotiate tricky situations. I definitely noticed that this normally wasn't the case with long haul movers. I would definitely not call this a high paying job for someone making a living, but maybe for someone who is working it as a summer job between school semesters.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Between the expectation of tipping, and your gun laws, America is so fucked.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe so. I don’t think I stated anywhere in my response that I expected to ever be tipped. The way I see it now as an adult is that I have an expectation for the cost of the move, the moving company gives me a quote based on amount of stuff and what stuff I own, and the amount of time they think it will take to complete the move. Anything under that I take as a win.

That may mean a tip for the movers if they did a good job while being quick. You see we could choose to take our precious time with your move and take 3-4 more hours at $90 per crew (2 men) or we could bust our asses and get shit done and save you that ~$400 dollars and you could be happy enough to show us a little love. Either way I always worked hard not knowing or expecting a tip because my hourly rate is what I hired on into. It isn’t like waitstaff who is paid below minimum wage and their employer expecting tips to compensate for the poor wages. End of rant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:

What is it that now makes tipping just about any service the right thing to do?

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:

Absolutely nothing. It's a cultural thing, not "the right thing". The rest of the world finds it very weird that you can't just go into a place, see the price and then pay that much. You've gotta add an unlisted tax, then add a "gratuity", because you apparently have to be grateful that someone is just doing their job...
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:

For me, when I see someone making low wages and that person is helping me out, especially a personal service kind of deal, like bringing me food, cleaning, cutting my hair, moving all my stuff, etc. and that person is really going out of their way and doing more than $10/hour work, then I'm going to tip them. I am not comfortable with people being 'the help' for me and then me just ignoring them as if they are trivial.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you tip movers? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:

For me, when I see someone making low wages and that person is helping me out, especially a personal service kind of deal, like bringing me food, cleaning, cutting my hair, moving all my stuff, etc. and that person is really going out of their way and doing more than $10/hour work, then I'm going to tip them. I am not comfortable with people being 'the help' for me and then me just ignoring them as if they are trivial.

That is a great answer. Thank you.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Professional.

Depends, if all the stuff arrives. Maybe, but give the wild west show that movers are - that's probably not going to happen. In fact they'll probably hold your SIL stuff as ransom until they get paid for the "extras" they provided.
Quote Reply