Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee pain after long trail run and icy tumble--bruise or runner's knee?
Quote | Reply
Two weeks ago I (stupidly) did my first trail run that lasted 16 miles (two loops of table mountain for those around Denver/Golden). I have consistently been putting in 40 mile weeks on the road year round, so the volume didn't seem too outrageous. There was one portion that is a pretty steady descent and I was definitely going a little too fast and could feel like my knees were taking the brunt of the beating, but I figured I would be okay By the last 4 miles, I could tell my legs were working much harder than they would have been on a typical Saturday long run, but I figured they would be a little sore for a day. Well, there was some ice on the trail and I ended up slipping and falling on my left knee. I laughed and didn't think much of it.

My legs felt a little sore for the next few days, but I went for an early morning and and completely tripped over a raised piece in the sidewalk and fell directly on both knees. I continued the run and figured everything was fine, but for the past two weeks the outside of my kneecap has been pretty tender. It's not bad in the morning but gets sore during the afternoon after I've been sitting for a while. The bike doesn't seem to hurt it and I took 3 days completely off from running and ran 3 miles, 6 miles, and then 3 miles yesterday and the tenderness is back.

The pain is coming from the outside of the actual knee cap, not "under" the knee cap like runner's knee and not the true "outside" of the knee joint like an LCL injury (I'm thinking). What are the chances this is a bruise or something and not something more severe like tendonitis? I want to train and it doesn't really hurt, but I'm not wanting to do more damage by running 3 or 4 miles easy.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply