Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Factor Slick Tri Bike [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
I'm not buying the "split downtube" being a benefit...

Me neither. It's been a long time, but didn't Damon Rinard say something about a FD tab causing more drag than an entire downtube? It doesn't seem like a split airfoil is really used anywhere else either.

That may be realistic. The Cd of a flat plate is 30X higher a good aerofoil. Does a downtube have more than 30X the frontal area of a FD tab? Probably somewhere around that number. So not exactly out of the realm of possibility on a first order approximation.

I think that it is more of a comment of how little drag the downtube generates, that the FD tab being a large amount of drag. The downtube gets a nice long airfoil since it is angled, so it is very low drag part of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Factor Slick Tri Bike [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those fhing with a frame isnt unique. Eddy Merckx did that in 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2mfi2iKoI
Quote Reply
Re: New Factor Slick Tri Bike [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this was covered already and maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you mount your water bottle on a split downtube? Seems like in the picture everything would be at angle.
Quote Reply
Re: New Factor Slick Tri Bike [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The split downtube may help prevent separation at high yaw, kind of like a slat or flap on a wing. Even that might be dubious though considering they're parallel to each other..

I like analyzing things - http://engineeringfitness.org
Quote Reply
Re: New Factor Slick Tri Bike [MA_ride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you so I can only guess that the bosses weren't designed for a standard cage.

Given that part of the marketing for the bike is a native BTA solution and bosses on the seat tube they may well have a very specific storage option in mind for the down tube. A custom solution may also blend in more aesthetically with the split down tube but I'm struggling to imagine what it will look like.
Quote Reply
Re: New Factor Slick Tri Bike [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if you use both the bosses on the downtube, would it not defeat the purpose of a spilt downtube because you essentially cover it with a bottle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MA_ride wrote:
So if you use both the bosses on the downtube, would it not defeat the purpose of a spilt downtube because you essentially cover it with a bottle?
Air would probably still go in and then not be able to flow through?
Would love to see win tunnel testing for this vs. any other established tt/tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Factor Slick Tri Bike [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only "new" parts are the storage from what I can see. The frame has been around since last year. Closer view of the split on pics here: https://www.bikerumor.com/...ke-splits-time-road/

Quote Reply
Re: New Factor Slick Tri Bike [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
MA_ride wrote:

Air would probably still go in and then not be able to flow through?
Would love to see win tunnel testing for this vs. any other established tt/tri bike.
Air won't go in unless it's also coming out.... not necessarily via a direct route, or from front to back, and almost certainly worse than a simple single tube with a bottle on the back.

Personally, I can't see any engineering or aerodynamic merit in this design.
It appears to be complication and weight increase for the sake of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hasn't it been established by now that a downtube bottle is a bad idea? Bottle between the arms, bottle behind the seat is all you need for racing, and the aero doesn't matter when your training.
Quote Reply
Re: New Factor Slick Tri Bike [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
"Show me the data."

I'm not buying the "split downtube" being a benefit...

This. But it made me think of the Colnago Bititanio. Beautiful bike and I still lust after one. The Carbitubo was ugly.
Quote Reply
Re: New Factor Slick Tri Bike [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next