Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interior knee pain from Breastroke kicking?
Quote | Reply
I thought I had strained my left lower hamstring from running, so I stopped running & went to PT for 6 weeks doing balancing, stretching, rolling, and strength work. Started running again and still didn't feel right. I recently stopped doing breaststroke and now it feels much better. It appears that the twisting of my knee from breaststroke kicking (only during cool down) has given me a medial strain where the hamstring connects to the knee. Anyone else encounter this issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Interior knee pain from Breastroke kicking? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
I thought I had strained my left lower hamstring from running, so I stopped running & went to PT for 6 weeks doing balancing, stretching, rolling, and strength work. Started running again and still didn't feel right. I recently stopped doing breaststroke and now it feels much better. It appears that the twisting of my knee from breaststroke kicking (only during cool down) has given me a medial strain where the hamstring connects to the knee. Anyone else encounter this issue?

I've never had knee pain from kicking/swimming breast but in the swimming world it is very common, to the point where even some Masters swimmers who have not had any pain will use the dolphin kick preemptively instead of the usual whip kick. Generally the adage is if you feel any pain whatsoever when kicking the whip kick, switch to dolphin kick.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same when I used to swim a lot of breast stroke.. No idea why, always the left knee.. No issues when just doing freestyle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend that swam competitively in high school can no longer swim breast stroke due to knee issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never knew anyone else had this issue

Yes ... this happens to me and never figured out why. I’ve never had knee issues otherwise

I just don’t do breaststroke and have no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think all breaststrokers have had knee pain at one time or another.
The kick puts a lot of strain on a knee. To do a lot of breastroke, you have to have a very strong knee.
Takes years for those people to build up to it.
To the non breaststrokers, I could see some pain coming on pretty quickly if you are not accustomed to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Interior knee pain from Breastroke kicking? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear I am not the only one. I have always done a 200 breastroke as my cooldown, probably for the past 10 years. It does explain a twitchy knee that I experience here-and-there. I guess its easy free or back as my cooldown, or breastroke w/o a kick.
Quote Reply