Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dual power meter or smart trainer (updated)
Quote | Reply
If you had around $1,000.00 to spend and had to pick one or the other, would you pick a dual power meter or an indoor smart trainer like a wahoo kickr?

I am going to do 3 races this year. Doing a sprint, Olympic and then and I am trying to do my first 1/2 ironman 3 years after my accident (basically both leg’s quads and patellas ruptured and had to be put back together... please don’t ask). I can swim well and running is especially hard for me but I’m doing well on my bike so I may splurge for something soon to try to take the bike to the next level.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

*see post response for an update on my decision.
Last edited by: JKLipsky: Feb 18, 18 5:31
Quote Reply
Re: Dual power meter or smart trainer [JKLipsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having had a kickr for 3 years and now bought P1 pedals I would go for the power meter pedals as they offer more flexibility.
I think I would be tempted for single-sided pedals next time. My balance is pretty equal and that is not going to change much and when one side (slave not master) has not been working I have never really noticed a big difference in numbers.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Last edited by: Johnnybike: Feb 11, 18 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: Dual power meter or smart trainer [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used power tap wheel and wahoo snap. You should have around 200 bucks left over. Why choose?

owner: world's tightest psoas (TM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM first and then smart trainer. A PM can make any trainer pretty intelligent, and it benefits you indoors and out. A smart trainer only benefits you while you are on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you already own a power meter and would be looking to upgrade your power to a dual sided power meter? If so what do you have?

If you do not currently train with power, I would prioritize power here because training with power can be a game changer for your training. However, IMO neither upgrading from a dumb wheel-on trainer to a smart direct drive trainer NOR upgrading from a single sided (or total power) power meter will be a game changer for your training. Further, I do not feel like a smart trainer is a substitute for a power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Dual power meter or smart trainer [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not own a power meter at this moment. I am also considering a single side power meter like the Garmin Vector 1 and looking for used smart trainer (direct drive).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grab the C1 chainring on clearance and a used Kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd spend it on a smart trainer first, then a PM

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM. Can always buy a dumb trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did kickr then got PM a year later. I wouldn't change how I did it. If I had the money back then, I'd get both at the same time. I love having a direct drive smart trainer. I don't think I'd enjoy my old fluid trainer with a PM as much.

I might be one of the exceptions since I like indoor training more than outdoor. I live in Chicagoland so riding outside suck almost all year (weather and traffic). If I trained mostly outdoors I'd go with a PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its either or, always go PM, you cannot race with a smart trainer.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a good "dumb" trainer?

I do, and contemplated buying a smart trainer. However, I've come to the conclusion that there's not a lot of point unless you want to use ERG mode, which I'm not really enthusiastic about.
So my own plan is to buy a power meter. I've been using my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine regularly with Zwift for about a year and a half now. It's very consistent and feels good. Having read reviews and asked opinions my conclusion is that a really high end smart trainer will likely not feel any better and won't have any greater power capacity (not that I need it). I would get slope simulation which might be nice in Zwift but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason. The Neo might be quieter. The main things I want are accurate power data and a robust, realistic feeling trainer when I'm indoors. A power meter paired with my existing trainer gives me both of these.

I'd like power data outdoors too. A power meter will only do that for one bike. I don't want to switch from Speedplay pedals or I'd get a pedal based PM and would not be limited to a single bike. So, I think I'll get a crank/spider based meter for my tri bike. I use the tri bike for all my indoor training and my time trial/ duathlon/ triathlon racing so I'll have power data for those activities. I do most of my outdoor riding on the road bike but that's less structured than my indoor training and I don't feel the need for power there. If, after having a PM on the tri bike, that attitude changes, I can get a second one...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a tri bike with quarq, road bike with quarq, and a tacx neo smart trainer (yes, lucky me and took me a long time to build up to this point). I use power match with my quarq and trainer road and love that I don't have to shift gears and the intervals get done. I do agree with others that the Neo power is smoother than the quarq, but it's not that much difference. Also, both smart trainer and quarq are close enough that I could use either with trainer road.

I actually don't pay much attention to the PM when riding outdoors. At least in London, there are so much stop and go and I do "long/social" rides when I do go outdoors. It's interesting to have the numbers, but I do all my structured stuff indoors. If you have a good sense of your effort, then I don't think you could go wrong with smart trainer and get a PM at a later date. I've raced 1 IM with a PM and I think I pushed a little too hard which fried me for the run. Though, I've done 7 other IM's without an IM and I'd say 4 of those IM bike rides went pretty well on Perceived Effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Dual power meter or smart trainer [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, is the ability to use ERG mode your main reason for suggesting the trainer as a priority over a PM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get 90%+ of the benefit of a smart trainer with a power meter and a dumb trainer. Plus you get to take it outdoors and use it during your races. At the half distance, you are at an advantage to see power during the race.

My Tacx Vortex (wheel on smart) has certainly been a nice addition with erg mode in certain workouts, but I would never trade my P1 pedals for it. Having both is a luxury for sure, and if I had to get rid of one, the Tacx would be on the way out in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to give a thank you to everyone that responded with their input as well as an update.

I have purchased a wahoo kickr as I told my wife I was leaning towards that decision and she told me she was saving some money to buy me one as a surprise.
Quote Reply