Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
One Week Update:
Successes:
I went an entire week without weighing myself. Been about 10 years since I have done that! It was very liberating. I was able to chill and eat more at night, which gave me some freedom. I ate some new things. I had white potatoes, white rice and some mini snickers. In fact for a couple of meals, I had both white potatoes and sweet potatoes, so an increase in carbs. I also tried Chicken Pho for the 1st time. Had a HUGE bowl. I thought I was splurging, but this stuff might not be all that bad. Regardless, the stuff was amazing! Its nice to get out and try new things.

Body fat from calipers says I am up to 5.04% BF. The BF at my abs has always remained constant, so that is good. I actually started doing some weights a few times per week about 5 weeks ago. I am getting stronger. I did 15 chinups (without kipping) yesterday in one set. Couldnt do 3 5 weeks ago.

Now for the Failures:
I lost a pound. Not sure what happened there. I ate more than usual. I upped my carbs. I used more oil in sauteing my veggies. I did everything by the book. I did not go out and just demolish my diet, but I did increase calories. I also took two days off from training. I actually enjoyed last week and it wasnt that difficult. Once I set my mind to something there is no problem following through. The big test for this week is my son's bday party tomorrow. Will I eat a slice of pizza...
Thanks for the advice offered in this thread.

I think the fact your % fat went up about 1% but you actually lost 1 pound simply shows that the calipers are only accurate to within 3-4%. In fact, really no method is accurate to much more than 3-4%; your % is prob somewhere in the range of 4-6%.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Feb 20, 18 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
your % is prob somewhere in the range of 2-6%.
Mate, anything <3% equals death.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
your % is prob somewhere in the range of 2-6%.
Mate, anything <3% equals death.

Thanks, i meant to say 4-6%; edit to my post has been made.

Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
One Week Update:
Successes:
I went an entire week without weighing myself. Been about 10 years since I have done that! It was very liberating. I was able to chill and eat more at night, which gave me some freedom.
I ate some new things. I had white potatoes, white rice and some mini snickers. In fact for a couple of meals, I had both white potatoes and sweet potatoes, so an increase in carbs.
I also tried Chicken Pho for the 1st time. Had a HUGE bowl. I thought I was splurging, but this stuff might not be all that bad. Regardless, the stuff was amazing! Its nice to get out and try new things.
Body fat from calipers says I am up to 5.04% BF. The BF at my abs has always remained constant, so that is good.
I actually started doing some weights a few times per week about 5 weeks ago. I am getting stronger. I did 15 chinups (without kipping) yesterday in one set. Couldnt do 3 5 weeks ago.
Now for the Failures:
I lost a pound.
Not sure what happened there. I ate more than usual. I upped my carbs. I used more oil in sauteing my veggies. I did everything by the book. I did not go out and just demolish my diet, but I did increase calories. I also took two days off from training.
I actually enjoyed last week and it wasnt that difficult. Once I set my mind to something there is no problem following through. The big test for this week is my son's bday party tomorrow. Will I eat a slice of pizza...
Thanks for the advice offered in this thread.

One further thought: if you've been weighing yourself every day for the past 10 yrs, then surely you've realized that your weight varies a pound or two even if you are not gaining or losing any actual weight. Thus your weighing a single pound less should not be cause for alarm. Actually, i see no problem with weighing every day and then just averaging the values out at the end of the week. This tends to even out the fluctuations, though if you are training hard, you might gain 2-3 lb overnight and keep it on until your next taper or easy week. I would think you have observed this yourself over the past 10 yrs??? Similarly, your % fat will vary 1-3 % depending on your hydration levels.

Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have noticed the constant fluctuations in daily weight. It goes up. It goes down.

Can you explain why you gain weight after a hard training day? I recently started doing 2-3 workouts a day (hour bike, hour run, hour swim) 2x a week. I ALWAYS had my heaviest weight of the week the day after those heavy days.

I was expecting to weigh less, but thought I gained more because I increased calories to match my calories burned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I have noticed the constant fluctuations in daily weight. It goes up. It goes down.
Can you explain why you gain weight after a hard training day? I recently started doing 2-3 workouts a day (hour bike, hour run, hour swim) 2x a week. I ALWAYS had my heaviest weight of the week the day after those heavy days.
I was expecting to weigh less, but thought I gained more because I increased calories to match my calories burned.

Spartan - What i've read is that when you work your muscles consid harder than they are used to, your muscle cells retain water to protect against further intramuscular cell damage. If you work them overly hard day in day out, the 2-4 lb gain just stays there. Eventually of course, you have to take an easy week or two and then your weight goes back down. I've seen this more times than i can count. Further, i've also noticed that, once my weight goes back down to normal, my muscles feel more sore than they did before when i had the extra 3-4 lb of water. This just seems to be the way my muscles work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd guess weight increases after hard training days would be largely related to water retention.

Also I'd agree with other posts re your current body fat percentage. I got down to a DEXA verified 6% prepping for a physique competition late last year, I actually felt like a walking corpse. Couldn't concentrate at work, waking up during the night dreaming about food....it was tough. 4% is bodybuilder lean and not sustainable for much longer than a couple of weeks for a competition.

Also getting that lean completely screws with you hormones, and can often take an individual up to 6 months to return to normal hormone levels. Staying very lean all year round is probably one of the worst things you could do for your training and recovery.

At the end of the day you just need to eat in a controlled calorie surplus. Start tracking everything you eat in MyFitnessPal over a period of a couple of weeks. Find your maintenance calorie point (total calories that result in you maintaining weight), then start eating 300 calories a day more than surplus. Weigh yourself on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday morning first thing after waking and going to the toilet. Average those readings over a week, and keep eating the same calories until your weight gain stalls, then increase calories by another 300 per day. Keep going until you reach your goal weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
At the end of the day you just need to eat in a controlled calorie surplus. Start tracking everything you eat in MyFitnessPal over a period of a couple of weeks. Find your maintenance calorie point (total calories that result in you maintaining weight), then start eating 300 calories a day more than surplus. Weigh yourself on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday morning first thing after waking and going to the toilet. Average those readings over a week, and keep eating the same calories until your weight gain stalls, then increase calories by another 300 per day. Keep going until you reach your goal weight

This is probably good advice for a typical person trying to fine tune. But sounds like OP has a consistent problem of worrying about calories. Counting them is probably going to make it even harder to get what he needs. That along with weighing himself seems to be an issue that probably triggers the lower calorie intake.

Probably not good advice either, but I'd just eat as muh as possible. Maybe not junk food. Although I'd not worry about avoiding it that much, junk food or malnourishment....pick your poison. I would eat up until the point that it affected my workouts (nausea, upset stomach, etc.). literally stuffing my face. I'd only weight myself if I knew that I was actually cheating myself and skimping calories again.

I'm also not personally familiar with dealing with the OP's issue. I'm 5'11 and float between 160-170. I enjoy triathlon mostly because I can eat whatever I want. I can maintain that weight and eat a dozen cookies one night, pizza another. I probably have 1-2 really bad nights a week like that. I'm in sales and people drop off treats to our customers constantly. Always muffins and breakfast tacos available even after I ate breakfast. Indulge quite a bit. Weight doesn't budge. Think the OP needs to realize that at his activity level, the diet strictness is only required to get to race weight. Which is probably sub optimal aesthetically for many. If you are already below race weight, why focus on it? Other than truly having a disorder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I am now ready to take every one's advice"
But please don't. People here are validating what you acknowledge are disordered habits. Go see a registered dietitian.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next