Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing gears non aero position
Quote | Reply
Are there any tri bikes that allow you to change gears when you aren’t in he aero position? I have a nice roady with tri bars and am looking to buy my first tri bike. Thanks all in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing gears non aero position [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything with Di2 or eTap. For non-electronic shifting, you’d probably have to get the Morf aerobar.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Changing gears non aero position [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Anything with Di2 or eTap. For non-electronic shifting, you’d probably have to get the Morf aerobar.

Thanks, I was looking at a P5 with Di2 but apparently it only changes gears in aero? Is there a mod that allows otherwise?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, Di2 or eTap electronic shifting. You can put shift buttons anywhere you want them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Thanks, I was looking at a P5 with Di2 but apparently it only changes gears in aero? Is there a mod that allows otherwise?

Shifters on the brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing gears non aero position [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
dunno wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Shifters on the brakes.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Changing gears non aero position [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Cervelo put hydronic brakes on the P5, so they could not use the Dura Ace TT mechanical brake levers with shift buttons. Some folks have made hack buttons attached to the bars behind the Magura brake levers.

Or you could switch to mechanical brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put eTap on my PR6. Best thing ever. It works beautifully and is so easy to install. You can put four shift buttons anywhere you want and it makes for a very clean install.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking at a P5, they have hydraulic brakes. So the standard di2 2 button shifters for the brakes aren't an option. Just not possible on the Magura brakes levers. I believe the new shimano hydraulic tt brake levers have a single button on them so you could choose either front or rear shifting at the base bar, but not both.

If you put ETAP onto the bike, you can have shifters on the aerobars, and brake levers as they are not incorporated into the brake lever.

I'm looking to switch to electronic from mechanical on mine, still up in the air on di2 or etap. I might just wait until next year and see if shimano comes out with a 2 button tt hydraulic brake lever, as my first choice is di2

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

If you take those Maguras off the P5 and replace them with something mechanical you'll be happier in the end. Putting better brakes on P5s and then reselling the hydraulic brakes to some other poor schmuck is like its own cottage industry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Umm, it's not that difficult to reach forward to the end of the bars and shift when in the upright position.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Changing gears non aero position [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
dunno wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

If you take those Maguras off the P5 and replace them with something mechanical you'll be happier in the end. Putting better brakes on P5s and then reselling the hydraulic brakes to some other poor schmuck is like its own cottage industry.

but you'll be making the bike less aero and worse at braking. plus your front end will look like shit without some serious hacks on the brake cover front.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing gears non aero position [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Umm, it's not that difficult to reach forward to the end of the bars and shift when in the upright position.

I understand but there will be times where I’ll be riding it around traffic and want fast and easy access to drop a few gears after a sudden stop etc
Last edited by: dunno: Feb 11, 18 19:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want the P5, then your options are brake button hack, update to current Di2, or update to eTap. First thing to confirm is which Di2 version it has. If current, it is very easy to add shift buttons at the brake levers.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing gears non aero position [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
If you want the P5, then your options are brake button hack, update to current Di2, or update to eTap. First thing to confirm is which Di2 version it has. If current, it is very easy to add shift buttons at the brake levers.

Thanks, I have now gone a little cold on the P5 and am looking at a Shiv (though I assume will have the exact same problem)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Thanks, I have now gone a little cold on the P5 and am looking at a Shiv (though I assume will have the exact same problem)

Depends on the vintage and the brakes. The P5's quirk is that it has hydraulic Magura brakes. I do not think any Shiv is hydraulic. Though, the Shiv is a relatively slow bike, so you can probably do a lot better than that with a bunch of other options.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 11, 18 19:44
Quote Reply
Re: Changing gears non aero position [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
dunno wrote:

Depends on the vintage and the brakes. The P5's quirk is that it has hydraulic Magura brakes. I do not think any Shiv is hydraulic. Though, the Shiv is a relatively slow bike, so you can probably do a lot better than that with a bunch of other options.

The shiv is a relatively slow bike? Urghhh my head hurts. I know everyone is probably sick of ‘what bike to buy’ but the second hand market is just awash with great bikes in the $4k range. I’m finding it really hard to pick.

All things being equal which would u go for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) the bikes that fit you best
2) the bike that fits your budget
3) the bike you like the look of the most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
The shiv is a relatively slow bike? Urghhh my head hurts. I know everyone is probably sick of ‘what bike to buy’ but the second hand market is just awash with great bikes in the $4k range. I’m finding it really hard to pick.

All things being equal which would u go for?
Well, the term "relative" is relative, because the differences are not huge. And price plays a major factor in the value. For example, Specialized has a version of the Shiv at $2,200 MSRP with Tiagra components. In that price range, the Shiv is probably the fastest option around. But, as you get closer to $3K, bikes like the Trek Speed Concept, Canyon, and Felt IA take the speed leadership positions. And, then as you climb into the ~$5K range, the Premier Tactical joins in the race. The Cervelo P2/P3 can be made fast, but those take a bunch of upgrades-- since those bikes start at high prices for their relative performance, they cost more to make fast than others.

I have a Felt IA16, and I love it. If I were buying a bike right now, I would probably get a Canyon or Premier. Both are very fast, and they come complete. But, those are not available through a local bike store. I have upgraded every part on my IA16, and I am about to do a 2nd drivetrain upgrade to electronic. In my mind, the value monster is the Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 at $4K. But I do not think that is actually available yet. The Premier Arrow at $4,800 comes in next. The Felt IA10 at $5K is probably the best retail-available performer in that price range. Then, the Premier Tactical is turn-key complete at $6,200.
Quote Reply