Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts?
Quote | Reply
Last year I started eyeballing 2018 Ironman Maryland as my first full Ironman. Now due to how we have to pick vacation at work I will be going to Glacier National Park two weeks before the race. (Wife has been wanting to go for a long time). I should still be able to get some amount of running in out there but I doubt that I will get any time to ride and I am unsure of what the swimming situation will be IE whether you're allowed to swim in the lakes in the park or not. The other part of this is I really don't want to piss my wife off and spend a big chunk of our vacation training but it's not like we're going to be just laying around either there will certainly be a lot of hiking and other activities. Now at that point I will be into a taper but I'm wondering with minimal to possibly no swimming and more than likely no riding two weeks out from a race how bad is this going to hurt me. Any one who's gone through a similar situation I would love to hear how your race turned out. All advise is welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the caveat that I’m not a coach. You aren’t going to lose any or much IM related fitness IMO. you certainly don’t gain any fitness you didn’t have in those two weeks.

I’d run easy 3-4 x /week, get up early and get it done and then enjoy the vacation. If you find a place to swim get in for 20 minutes. Is it ideal? Probably not for a kona qualifier. If for a completer you’re good.

She’s gonna have a long day waiting around for your ass to do a stupid race (I’ve done a few and will again, they really are kinda stupid :) )
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 10, 18 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hay is in the barn................will not be an issue. The hiking will be a great taper. You will be fine
Quote Reply
Re: Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is probably a good result for you. Unless you are very fast then you don't really have to worry too much about doing a perfect taper. All the work is done by now. Enjoy your holiday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The risk is that you will go into the race flat. The fitness and recovery aspect of this vacation is fine, but not biking or swimming in the two weeks before an ironman seems like you are setting yourself up for failure. Ironman is important, it's a long road to prep for one. Your wife should respect that and at least allow you to find a pool or go for a run a couple times.
Quote Reply
Re: Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts? [Mr Brightside] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr Brightside? Me thinks you need to change your name. Why wouldn't a person be allowed to swim in lakes in a national park? You could swim across a small lake while you wife hikes it. Running should be no problem. If you are going to hikes skip the running. Bring the wetsuit. The only hurdle is if you have to fly do you take the bike. I would be surprised if there are not bike to rent at Glacier. 30-60 minutes of easy exercise each day. You could just focus on enjoying it. Sounds ideal.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ty. I think overall fitness will be ok but I can understand what Mr happy pants is saying about being flat on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t worry about it. As another poster mentioned, the hay is in the barn by then. Plus it’s better to show up a little bit flat than ‘overtrained’ with a bunch of nagging injuries as people often do.

As for swimming In Glacier, Lake McDonald has a swimming area by the inn at Apgar. Depending on where you are staying, Whitefish lake might be a good option. The only potential issue is that the water up there can be quite cold in early September.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts? [Mr Brightside] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends what you mean by failure. DNF? Assuming the OP trained properly in no way does two weeks of nothing lead to that
Quote Reply
Re: Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Failure is probably the wrong word. Maybe not meeting your secret time goals, or doing the best you can do. But my point is you work your butt off for months to do an ironman, so don't neglect the little things you need to do for a good experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Last year I started eyeballing 2018 Ironman Maryland as my first full Ironman. Now due to how we have to pick vacation at work I will be going to Glacier National Park two weeks before the race. (Wife has been wanting to go for a long time). I should still be able to get some amount of running in out there but I doubt that I will get any time to ride and I am unsure of what the swimming situation will be IE whether you're allowed to swim in the lakes in the park or not. The other part of this is I really don't want to piss my wife off and spend a big chunk of our vacation training but it's not like we're going to be just laying around either there will certainly be a lot of hiking and other activities. Now at that point I will be into a taper but I'm wondering with minimal to possibly no swimming and more than likely no riding two weeks out from a race how bad is this going to hurt me. Any one who's gone through a similar situation I would love to hear how your race turned out. All advise is welcome.

Wait, you said you won't be training, but you will be hiking for 2 weeks and running most days. If you can get on a hotel exercise bike and do 20 min as 5 min warmup + 15 min of 30 seconds super hard, 30 seconds easy, this might just be a near perfect taper....bring some stretch chords, and now you are training the entire time.
Quote Reply
Re: Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I see your point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a perfect world sure. But we can be very myopic and leaving your wife alone on vacation may not be the best idea, depending.

So he comes in 54th AG instead of 49th...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Ty. I think overall fitness will be ok but I can understand what Mr happy pants is saying about being flat on the bike.

ive done it x3 - no issues. Compared to my friends who were home panic-training and forgetting about taper - I had a lot better performance related to my ability then they did. Doesnt really take much to avoid flatness - do a 20min run 2-3 days out with some 1 min sprints - works wonders for me!

Id say your biggest risk will be running to MUCH to make up for lack of bike-time/swim. Dont do it. Running is harder on you than you think.
Quote Reply
Re: Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts? [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

ive done it x3 - no issues. Compared to my friends who were home panic-training and forgetting about taper - I had a lot better performance related to my ability then they did. Doesnt really take much to avoid flatness - do a 20min run 2-3 days out with some 1 min sprints - works wonders for me!

Id say your biggest risk will be running to MUCH to make up for lack of bike-time/swim. Dont do it. Running is harder on you than you think.

I would also recommend at least 45 of walking per day for the final 2 months before the vacation with the assumption that you will be hiking 2-4 hours per day. The 45 min daily walking can be done in multipe segments of 5-10 min over the work day (or have meetings walking rather than sitting). If you don't walk at all and suddenly hike for 2 weeks, you'll be fit for the IM, but maybe feeling flat from "over training" during the taper due to the hiking.
Quote Reply
Re: Won't be able to train 2 weeks before my first full IM.... What are your thoughts? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, shouldn't be a problem. Being a UPS driver I'm walking all day. In fact managing the stress on my body from that is more of a headache when training than anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you will be fine. You won't gain any fitness the last two weeks. I would be more worried about over hiking during your taper.... but not that worried. Go enjoy your trip. Besides, don't some bike transport companies take your bike 2+ weeks before an Ironman? All those people seem to be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on your vacation you should seek and find (shouldn't be difficult) a nice mature grizzly bear; and develop your running speed by outrunning said bear. If you fail, he or she may, or, may not kill you :-| (pepper spray is for wimps). I spend a lot of time in MT - makes me crazy I guess!

Seriously though, swimming across lakes? I can't think of anything more awesome.

Enjoy the journey (in Big Sky Country)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply