Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much volume increase (hours per week) to jump from a half to a full distance?
Quote | Reply
Last year was my first season of Triathlon. I "raced" Lake Raystown 70.3 and Savage Man 70.0. I made a custom 16 week training plan that I followed for both races. The total hours per week looked like this:

9, 9, 9, 7, 10, 11, 11, 9, 12, 12, 12, 10, 13, 14, 8, 3 (@ 13% swimming, 43% biking, 44% running)

I am curious as to what sort of volume increase you guys suggest for me to enjoy Maryland full this year. I have been training all through the winter and continue to do so. I am looking to make a solid plan 16 weeks out and budget the time with my family ahead of time. I was thinking maybe a 40% increase in volume:

13, 13, 13, 11, 15, 15, 15, 13, 17, 17, 17, 15, 19, 19, 12, 4

I am not too worried about my body breaking down. I everested last fall and I did solo 200 and solo 250 mile rides on my P2. I am not very fast (middle of pack in both triathlons), but I do have the endurance to go the distance. I am looking to be middle of the pack in Maryland and finish strong with a smile on my face.

So anyway, do you think a 40% increase is something I should go for?

Thanks for your input.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Feb 9, 18 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: How much volume increase (hours per week) to jump from a half to a full distance? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump for advice. thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: How much volume increase (hours per week) to jump from a half to a full distance? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
bump for advice. thanks.

Don't be hijacking my question about training for Maryland. No one cares about your volume... ;)
Last edited by: Fishbum: Feb 10, 18 5:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not think you need any..............
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't train more because you are doing a longer race. You train more to do better at a race of any distance. It takes roughly double the volume to come close to your potential in a sprint, as it does to comfortably complete a full.

Those same hours that worked for your lifestyle for the half, will be more than enough to comfortably complete the full, and since this is your 2nd season, you will likely be able to see some pretty dramatic improvements if you structure that time correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: How much volume increase (hours per week) to jump from a half to a full distance? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
You don't train more because you are doing a longer race. You train more to do better at a race of any distance.

this is well said and something a lot of people don't or misunderstand.... they end up digging themselves into a well of fatigue trying to do "more" which actually becomes less.

More is more though, as long as you do it right.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: How much volume increase (hours per week) to jump from a half to a full distance? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
You don't train more because you are doing a longer race. You train more to do better at a race of any distance. It takes roughly double the volume to come close to your potential in a sprint, as it does to comfortably complete a full.

Those same hours that worked for your lifestyle for the half, will be more than enough to comfortably complete the full, and since this is your 2nd season, you will likely be able to see some pretty dramatic improvements if you structure that time correctly.

Thank you very much for explaining this to me.

Quote Reply