Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hell Yeah, I Rock a Helmet Mirror When I Ride!
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

https://www.bicycling.com/...ors-popular-cyclists

"I was a professional bike racer for 10 years before I retired at the end of 2017, so I’ve done my share of long training rides. I’d been noticing that more and more drivers are paying attention to their phones instead of the road. And it feels like it’s getting worse. I’ve had side mirrors hit me, I’ve had cars slam the brakes right in front of me.

My wife and I are expecting our first kid this March, so my priorities are shifting and I feel less inclined to take risks. Last year I stayed with a family in Austin, Texas, to train. The dad is in his 50s and rides with a mirror on his helmet.

Mirrors of any kind are not something you find in the bike-racing crowd. It’s not “pro.” In professional cycling, it’s like, your bar tape is white, your shoes are white, you have to have shaved legs.

But it was a revelation to ride with someone who knew that a car was about to pass without having to crane his neck to look—we could anticipate traffic with almost no effort, and it felt much safer. Suddenly, I was curious: Could I rock a mirror?

I added three options to my Amazon cart…and let them sit for two weeks. Part of me wasn’t ready to publicly display my apprehension of riding on open roads. And part of me still wanted to preserve my vanity. But practicality finally won out, and I clicked “buy.” (Get the Peddler’s Take a Look Mirror Soladay wears for $13 at Amazon.)"

"The first mirror I tried was a bar-end design that fit into my handlebar’s drop, but I didn’t like that I had to take my eyes off the road completely to use it. So I switched to a sunglass-mounted model. On my first ride, I saw the benefits immediately: With a quick glance to my left, I could see approaching vehicles.

Cars that previously went unheard and passed too close were now on my radar. If there was not much of a shoulder to ride on and I needed to protect my space, I could slowly drift out and gauge how drivers were reacting to me. I could see whether they were slowing down, if they were moving over. I was always looking out for the driver who made no adjustment. Now that I could create enough room between myself and the shoulder, I had a space to move into when they got closer."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Hell Yeah, I Rock a Helmet Mirror When I Ride! [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right on ! but----------------------- don't ride with a square/rectangle one -- they're for nerds. must be small, round. semi LOL, semi serious --- I guess, to each their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Hell Yeah, I Rock a Helmet Mirror When I Ride! [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, all good points ... but this is a triathlon forum. couldn't you have bought some sort of GoPro-like Bluetooth enabled rear-facing camera? something with 360 degree radar and auto-synching to Strava? something that displays on your iPhone, Apple watch, and extension-mounted Garmin? preferably in carbon fibre. we'll support anything made of carbon fibre.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped worrying about how f***ing cool I was a long time ago. I could really care what anyone thinks of my "coolness factor" or lack thereof. I bought a mirror and it helps me feel safer on the sometimes narrow rural roads I train on. Do always use it, especially in town? No. But it gives me some measure of confidence that I will see some texting or otherwise distracted idiot driver as he veers toward me on a country road...maybe a bit earlier than the point of contact?

To each his own.
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Feb 8, 18 14:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used finger polish and painted a pretty flower on the backside of my rectangle mirror, so that makes it cool. The stock paint job was not cool. Grey. Boring.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried one. I could position it so I could see behind from the drops, or from the hoods, but not both.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Hell Yeah, I Rock a Helmet Mirror When I Ride! [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello dsmallwood and All,

Good points .... Garmin Varia moving in that direction .... but there is a lot to be said for a simple real world view .... and of course a rear view mirror does not need recharging, pairing, is a bit cheaper, and is in full 4k color.

(disclaimer .... I use and am a fan of the data portion of the Varia ... it cleans up the cockpit)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...aria-vision-hud.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ia-radar-review.html

dsmallwood wrote:
well, all good points ... but this is a triathlon forum. couldn't you have bought some sort of GoPro-like Bluetooth enabled rear-facing camera? something with 360 degree radar and auto-synching to Strava? something that displays on your iPhone, Apple watch, and extension-mounted Garmin? preferably in carbon fibre. we'll support anything made of carbon fibre.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
And part of me still wanted to preserve my vanity.

better Fred than dead, is what I always say..
one day last year rolled up next to another old guy at a traffic light, he looked over and said, "Damn! your mirror is bigger than mine!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're also good for spotting people Kevin Moatsing you.
Quote Reply
Re: Hell Yeah, I Rock a Helmet Mirror When I Ride! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feel naked without one now, wouldn't ride without one.
Quote Reply
Re: Hell Yeah, I Rock a Helmet Mirror When I Ride! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
They're also good for spotting people Kevin Moatsing you.

are we verbing Moats now? i'm down.
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Feb 9, 18 12:02
Quote Reply