Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking Power Meter Advice
Quote | Reply
I am a triathlete in my 3rd season and I'm starting to learn how to train with Power, finally. I have a Wahoo KIKR that I've been using for my winter training and I love seeing how my power readings look at the end of a ride. However, I don't have a power meter on my tri-bike yet to transition outside this season and carry my analysis through my outdoor riding and racing season. I have a Cervelo P2, shimano 105, all stock pretty much. Any recommendations on a good power meter to install would be appreciated. I don't have an endless budget, but I also want to get something that works and is accurate. I've heard some people get into power meters on their bikes and they don't always read accurately, so I want to make sure I get something that is the most accurate for the price (bang for the buck). I would appreciate all input and explanations of experiences anyone has had good/bad/indifferent with the ones they have used in the past. Models & where to buy would also be helpful...Thank you in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Power Meter Advice [jwvenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there is a bad power meter on the market now, so it is probably best to choose based on other factors. I assume you are on a budget, so Stages and 4iii make pretty affordable single sided crank-based power meters. There isn't anything wrong with them, but if you have a discrepancy in power output between your legs, you could read a bit high or low on wattage. You are also stuck with the crank length you put them on, so make sure you aren't planning on trying shorter cranks.

I haven't tried the pedal-based meters yet, mostly because I only ride the Speedplay pedals and they are probably aero turds.

The Powertap hubs are what I use. They are simple, dual-sided, accurate and you can swap between bikes in seconds. The down side is they are part of the wheel, so you have to be willing on racing and training on the same wheel. I bought my first powertap as a used wheel for 200$. Now I have 3 Powertaps in different wheel sets, which isn't a budget option anymore. The other issue is you will be stuck if you ever upgrade to a disc bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...de-2017-edition.html

Nobody has more experience with power meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Powertap has the C1 chain ring powermeter on sale for $349.00

https://www.powertap.com/...wertap-c1-chainrings

DC Rainmaker has a review here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...hainring-review.html

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Power Meter Advice [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've considered this, but I can never tell if my bike is compatible
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Power Meter Advice [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powertap hubs are NOT dual sided. They simply measure total power (left leg + right leg). Dual sided PM's are those that allow to read individual leg power
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Power Meter Advice [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Powertap has the C1 chain ring powermeter on sale for $349.00

https://www.powertap.com/...wertap-c1-chainrings

That is an incredible deal. I use a C1 chainring and Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt and it's a great, great combo.

If your 105 crank has a 5-bolt pattern like this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...hainset/rp-prod50444 chances are the chainring is compatible. Newer Shimano cranks have a 4-bolt pattern.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Feb 8, 18 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While you are researching...

If you have a garmin watch, there is a free app in the IQ Store called vPower. Its a power data field that works in the same way that TR/Zwift virtual power works. It works both outside and on the trainer. I have been running it through tests over the last 2 months and its really good. Its matched the graphs of both TR/Zwift virtual power and the key is that its consistent with itself. While I wouldn't use it to say "my average power is 250 watts or whatever" to other riders you could use it to track your progress over time and during rides (really the point of power anyway). I think most riders could probably just use this and bypass a power meter altogether because of its consistency. The issue is that who knows if the dev is going to continue working on it, etc. so if he gets bored of it, it might not work in a year from now. But there is no reason that garmin or other companies can't develop a power app as TR/Zwift have done it.

Here is a link to it: https://apps.garmin.com/...b1-b80b-6b080940ebb7

*Im not suggesting you rely on this app and bypass getting a power meter. I think anyone serious should get industry standard stuff. But for recreational people and those with no other means to show power, I think this is a really good alternative. But its definitely worth testing out.
Last edited by: surferdude: Feb 8, 18 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Power Meter Advice [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually P2's are delivered with FSA cranks
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Power Meter Advice [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah. He didn't specify, just said 105. Regardless, C1s also fit FSA as the chainring is FSA brand.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Power Meter Advice [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, mine does have an FSA crank..I should have mentioned that...thanks for all the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious if you got the C1 to fit on your P2, I also have a P2 and was looking at the C1. I emailed Powertap and they said it would fit but then on their Q&A section it says it will not fit BBright bikes, so I am not sure which answer is correct. Does anyone use the C1 on a P2? Not sure if the year matters but my P2 is a 2016.
Quote Reply