Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coming back from an operation...
Quote | Reply
Hi all

Well, my 2018 season has already started very badly. On New Year's day I came down with a really nasty cold (first time I've been ill in nearly 2 years, so I suppose I've got to consider myself lucky in that regard) that took the best part of 3 weeks to properly recover from. I then was horribly busy with work, meaning I barely trained at the end of January. I then had the misfortune of having an operation last week which is taking so much longer to recover from than I had hoped/wanted. Realistically I'm going to struggle to be doing anything involving exercise until w/c 19th Feb.

All in all, this means i've gone the best part of 6-7 weeks without any form of meaningful training. This is the longest layoff period I have ever had. If I'm honest, it's really scaring me. I'm scared that I'm going to be back to struggling to run a single mile or hold 150 watts on the bike (for reference, at peak last year my FTP was 300 watts at 74kg).

So my question is this. How the f**k do I start over? I've never been in this position before. At most in the past I've taken a couple of weeks 'off' where I still did a couple of easy runs and easy rides. What I don't want to do is go straight into 10hours a week again, as I just don't think I can take that volume. Is this really a case of run/walk for a couple of weeks and a couple of hours on the turbo spinning the legs?

HELP!

Thanks all
Quote Reply
Re: Coming back from an operation... [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ease back into it and don't get frustrated with numbers, your form will come back, keep confidence in that.
Quote Reply
Re: Coming back from an operation... [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The key here is patience, You will get back to your former levels (look at Velvarde) but you have to give it time, if you push yourself to hard to fast you are likely to get sick again and lose even more time off.
I would suggest a good 3-4 weeks of just easy riding/running net even tracking speed, power etc...
And then jump into some light intensity (is that an oxymoron?).

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this out the same way. Broke my collarbone 3 weeks ago, first ever injury.

Was on turbo 2 days after the break, and until the surgery (1 week after).

And now, two weeks after the surgery I have done quite a few Turbo efforts, runs (slow jog/walk), and have now even done a couple swims. Full recovery hopefully in the next 6-8 weeks.

If anything, it just helps the mind. Don't stress on the volume, focus on the intensity you can handle and tell yourself "Hurry Slowly". Nothing good comes from rushing back mate!

Best of luck

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist , Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Coming back from an operation... [cchristen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, really appreciated.

I think I'm nervous because this is completely unknown territory for me. I've got to look at it as a clean slate. Loads and loads of room for significant improvement.

If I could have the 'help' that most people suspect Valverde gets I think I'd be a lot more confident. I'm taking enough meds that I think i'd fail a drugs test anyway...

As you all say, it seems the key is to just go out and see how I feel. Don't look at pace/speed/power, just run/ride easy and don't care what the numbers say and build from there. I have got a number of years' worth of training load, so I can't imagine 6 weeks will render me a 30 minute 5k runner all of a sudden...

Thanks all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only recommendation, leave the watch or computer at home. Just start by enjoying the workouts. Don't worry about speed, time, etc. you should have a good base.
Quote Reply