Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by TimJ
Last edited by: TimJ: Feb 7, 18 19:09
Re: ask me anything about swim deaths and emergencies in triathlon [TimJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No thanks.

Kent
AMA- about how I like to believe I am immortal whilst swimming /s
Quote Reply
Re: ask me anything about swim deaths and emergencies in triathlon [TimJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does this happen in tri's? Vs other sports (runs, cycling events).
Quote Reply
Re: ask me anything about swim deaths and emergencies in triathlon [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyLo wrote:

Because you don't drown in air, you just fall down.
Quote Reply
Re: ask me anything about swim deaths and emergencies in triathlon [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
LuckyLo wrote:

Very true but to expand this discussion, the most pertinent question to ask is "Why does it appear that there are more deaths per capita in triathlon than in Masters Swimming meets and open water events???" Of course, the answer is that tri geeks don't swim enough. (I know you're a swimmer. :))

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Feb 8, 18 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: ask me anything about swim deaths and emergencies in triathlon [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
LuckyLo wrote:

Very true but to expand this discussion, the most pertinent question to ask is "Why are there more deaths per capita in triathlon than in Masters Swimming meets and open water events???" Of course, the answer is that tri geeks don't swim enough. (I know you're a swimmer. :))

It's honestly a very good question. I think that often the involved people are overmatched both physically and mentally for the event.
Some should probably not even do the swim as a standalone event.
More familiarity and training would help some.
Quote Reply
Re: ask me anything about swim deaths and emergencies in triathlon [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any data to support that?

Anecdotally - I've been in about 15 open water swim races - in which two people died (Chesapeake Bay and Brooklyn Bridge), 2 half marathons - in which one person died (Little Rock, AK) and over 80 triathlons (no fatalities).
Quote Reply
Re: ask me anything about swim deaths and emergencies in triathlon [RodeRunnerRon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RodeRunnerRon wrote:

Anecdotally - I've been in about 15 open water swim races - in which two people died (Chesapeake Bay and Brooklyn Bridge), 2 half marathons - in which one person died (Little Rock, AK) and over 80 triathlons (no fatalities).

You are a data point of one. Here's my anecdotal data: I've been in three triathlons in the past 10 years with a swim fatality and zero run races with a fatality over the past 4+ decades of running.
Quote Reply
Re: ask me anything about swim deaths and emergencies in triathlon [RodeRunnerRon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no data, just my own impressions. Look at the back of an open water swim vs the back of a triathlon swim.
That, and just reading accounts online of the deaths reported in triathlons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RodeRunnerRon wrote:

I'm not aware of any studies but rather my thesis is based on my anecdotal evidence and observations. My n=1 is as follows: about 110 triathlons with 2 fatalities, 50 running events with zero, and 50 Masters meets with 1. A further observation i would make is that the tri guys who died were 45-55 vs the swimmer who was 75. The 75 yr old was a well trained swimmer swimming at the Masters short nationals; at age 75, for the 50/100/200 back, he went 44.9 (3rd AG), 1:41 (2nd), and 3:39.7 (2nd). In the 100/200/400 IM, he went 1:39.6 (3rd), was DQ'd in the 200, and then passed out during the 400 IM. Personally, I think Masters meets are more stressful than b/c each race is an all-out effort.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: ask me anything about swim deaths and emergencies in triathlon [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletes (people who participate in triathlons) can't swim.

I wish I was joking.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply