Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Turbo trainer wear or what's happening with my tubs?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I just put on my deep section wheels with continental gatorskin tubular tires on my TACX magnetic home-trainer. They are not brand new but not worn either. They have never been on the trainer before.

I think I spent about 2 minutes on the trainer.

After checking my tyres, it looks a big white line straight through the center of the tyre. It seems almost impossible that after only 2 minutes on the trainer, these tires are worn?

Is this some kind of residue or is the trainer literally destroying the tires?

Thanks.
Last edited by: gazoome: Feb 7, 18 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: Turbo trainer wear or what's happening with my tubs? [gazoome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why trainer specific tyres are a must for the pain cave
Tear however is quite odd for the time spent, check screw tension ,condition of the roller itself and make sure it does not free spin
Quote Reply
Re: Turbo trainer wear or what's happening with my tubs? [gazoome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm suspecting a residue - I'd try a wet rag on both the tire and the trainer wheel

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Turbo trainer wear or what's happening with my tubs? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's highly unlikely that 2 minutes on the trainer would have any affect on the tires, I would say 99% it's just some residue and not to be worried.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you happen to hit the brakes when you were getting off the trainer? It's amazing how many people do this reflexively, and I saw so many people instantaneously destroy expensive tires doing this that I make it a practice to warn people when doing a bike fit on a trainer...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Turbo trainer wear or what's happening with my tubs? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Did you happen to hit the brakes when you were getting off the trainer? It's amazing how many people do this reflexively, and I saw so many people instantaneously destroy expensive tires doing this that I make it a practice to warn people when doing a bike fit on a trainer...

No I never hit the brakes while on the trainer.

I can't tell if it's wear or residue but you might be able to tell from this photo.

And here is another picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazoome wrote:
I just put on my deep section wheels with continental gatorskin tubular tires on my TACX magnetic home-trainer....

so much fail in this sentence ;)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Turbo trainer wear or what's happening with my tubs? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
gazoome wrote:
I just put on my deep section wheels with continental gatorskin tubular tires on my TACX magnetic home-trainer....

so much fail in this sentence ;)

for only 2 minutes :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the pics I don't see anything wrong with the tire, just some normal wear of the diamond tread pattern.
Quote Reply
Re: Turbo trainer wear or what's happening with my tubs? [Last-offtheBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is why trainer specific tyres are a must for the pain cave

I'd never used a trainer tire. Always just an old stock tire or something. I was getting some slippage no matter how I set the tension on my Tacx Vortex (tire got slick frim usage on trainer). Broke down and got the trainer tire. I'm sold now. So much quiter. I can go from a complete stand still to cranking out all I've got.....no squeak. Love it.
Quote Reply