Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift and TrainerRoad Simultaneously
Quote | Reply
In the past, I tried running zwift and TR at the same time but didn't work (Iphone and Ipad). This AM it worked! Did they change something? The only difference is I started zwift and then opened the TR app while riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift and TrainerRoad Simultaneously [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s been working for me ever since I tried it a yearor so ago. Your setup is different than mine, though - I run TR on my iPad with Wahoo’s ANT+ key (but BT connection to my Tacx Neo); Zwift runs on my iMac with an ANT+ dongle, but it only receives the power/cadence from the Quarq on my bike and the HR from my chest strap. The key is that I don’t have a “Controllable Trainer” attached, since otherwise you have both apps fighting for control over your smart trainer - hilarity ensues.

I’m going to experiment with the 4iiii HRM that has a built-in ANT+-to-BT bridge to see if I can play better with BT-only devices - should allow me to run Zwift on my Apple TV while controlling via TR on my iPad if it works as described.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you using for power on TR and Zwift? I have no idea if either made any material changes that somehow supported using both BUT as I understand the limitation is more with Bluetooth protocol than the actual software.

Take this with a grain of salt as I am no expert, but as I understand a Bluetooth connection is essentially a one to one relationship. You can only connect one Bluetooth sensor (power meter, trainer, etc.) to one device (iPad, iPhone, etc). So, if you have one power meter, you can only connect that to either your iPhone or your iPad. The problem with trying to use Zwift and TR at the same time is that only one device can be connected to your Power Meter via Bluetooth. This is not the case with ANT+. You can connect an ANT+ power meter to multiple receivers.

This does not mean that you cannot use both zwift and TR at the same time. It just means you cannot use one power meter connected via bluetooth to two different devices (one on Zwift and one on TR) at the same time. So, if you have a smart trainer AND a power meter, you could bluetooth the trainer to TR and the Power Meter to Zwift and that would work. If you have an ANT+ Dongle, you could connect one power meter to Zwift with the ant+ dongle and connect that same power meter to TR with bluetooth. You could connect a speed sensor to zwift and use zpower and a power meter to trainer road. If you have power pedals, you could potentially connect left pedal to TR and right pedal to zwift. There are a lot of possibilities here. Could any of these situations apply to you?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift and TrainerRoad Simultaneously [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:

This does not mean that you cannot use both zwift and TR at the same time. It just means you cannot use one power meter connected via bluetooth to two different devices (one on Zwift and one on TR) at the same time.

You can trick it to do this with TR power relay setting. Essentially it allows one to take the power reading from TR and put on another device, like a watch, zwift, etc. Its a pretty cool feature. No idea why the other systems don't do it too since TR has had the feature for a number of years now. But essentially TR would connect to your power meter then TR would send the power number to where ever you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift and TrainerRoad Simultaneously [surferdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surferdude wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:

This does not mean that you cannot use both zwift and TR at the same time. It just means you cannot use one power meter connected via bluetooth to two different devices (one on Zwift and one on TR) at the same time.

You can trick it to do this with TR power relay setting. Essentially it allows one to take the power reading from TR and put on another device, like a watch, zwift, etc. Its a pretty cool feature. No idea why the other systems don't do it too since TR has had the feature for a number of years now. But essentially TR would connect to your power meter then TR would send the power number to where ever you want.

Ok. How do you go about doing this? I just searched the TrainerRoad faqs for “power relay” and a couple other things but can’t find it. I’m wanting to do the same thing, essentially do the TrainerRoad workouts, but have something to look at - I’ve been to the end of Netflix.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift and TrainerRoad Simultaneously [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
surferdude wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:

Ok. How do you go about doing this? I just searched the TrainerRoad faqs for “power relay” and a couple other things but can’t find it. I’m wanting to do the same thing, essentially do the TrainerRoad workouts, but have something to look at - I’ve been to the end of Netflix.

When you are in TR (on the computer), click Devices->Device Relay (its on the lower right hand side). Not sure where the option is in the mobile version as I don't have my phone on me at the moment.

Also keep in mind you may need a few things depending how you set it up...usually two ant+ dongles or you could use multiple devices (phone+comp depending on what sensors you use). It all kinda depends on what equipment you have. Do a few searches for TR and Zwift at the same time to see how others have set theirs up.
Last edited by: surferdude: Feb 7, 18 11:48
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift and TrainerRoad Simultaneously [surferdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surferdude wrote:
pvolb wrote:
surferdude wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:

When you are in TR (on the computer), click Devices->Device Relay (its on the lower right hand side). Not sure where the option is in the mobile version as I don't have my phone on me at the moment.

Also keep in mind you may need a few things depending how you set it up...usually two ant+ dongles or you could use multiple devices (phone+comp depending on what sensors you use). It all kinda depends on what equipment you have. Do a few searches for TR and Zwift at the same time to see how others have set theirs up.

Yes, this is complicated when you have multiple Bluetooth-only devices. I just tried the 4iiii HRM that has the bridge, and I got it sending my power to Zwift on Apple TV, but when you pair it that way it doesn't seem you can connect to it from other BT-only devices. So I still think you need some sort of pure ANT+ enablement on one your devices. This is one of the beautiful features of ANT+ - one signal can broadcast to many receivers. It's also the downside of it if you've ever needed to do an emergency pairing race morning in transition area and can't remember your ANT+ id. ;-)

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift and TrainerRoad Simultaneously [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
Yes, this is complicated when you have multiple Bluetooth-only devices. I just tried the 4iiii HRM that has the bridge, and I got it sending my power to Zwift on Apple TV, but when you pair it that way it doesn't seem you can connect to it from other BT-only devices. So I still think you need some sort of pure ANT+ enablement on one your devices. This is one of the beautiful features of ANT+ - one signal can broadcast to many receivers. It's also the downside of it if you've ever needed to do an emergency pairing race morning in transition area and can't remember your ANT+ id. ;-)

Ian

When you say Bluetooth only devices, are you referring to a power meter (transmitting the data) or a phone (receiving the data)? I use a bridge to connect my power meter to two devices. I connect my Power Meter via ANT+ to the bridge, and the bridge via bluetooth to my phone. I then connect my Power Meter via Bluetooth to my apple TV (or sometimes iPad) for Zwift. This has worked really well for me.

... I am still curious what the OP was doing that got both receiving power at once. As explained here, it is certainly doable, but it seems the OP did it without knowing how which just makes me wonder haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
sneeuwaap wrote:

Ian

When you say Bluetooth only devices, are you referring to a power meter (transmitting the data) or a phone (receiving the data)? I use a bridge to connect my power meter to two devices. I connect my Power Meter via ANT+ to the bridge, and the bridge via bluetooth to my phone. I then connect my Power Meter via Bluetooth to my apple TV (or sometimes iPad) for Zwift. This has worked really well for me.

... I am still curious what the OP was doing that got both receiving power at once. As explained here, it is certainly doable, but it seems the OP did it without knowing how which just makes me wonder haha.

Yeah, sorry for my lack of precision - I was talking about receivers. Your setup works because your two Bluetooth connections are different. I don't believe you could connect your Bluetooth bridge to two receivers - my 4iiii HRM has a bridge, and once it's paired to one receiver (e.g., the 4iiii app on my phone), it can't be seen by any other BT receiver.

I was wondering as well about the OP's setup, but there are some critical details missing that would explain how it's working.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this and it is pretty easy. My equipment- powertap pedals, ant stick plugged into laptop (mac), wahoo kickr, iphone 6, heart rate monitor. Software: Trainer Road and Zwift.

I run Trainer road and zwift on my phone simultaneously connected via bluetooth. First I open the Trainer Road app and pick the workout, and connect my kickr. Then I open the zwift app on my laptop and phone, and connect the sensors I want it to use- heart rate (ant+) power and cadence (bluetooth). I have had better success using the bluetooth mobile connect feature than the ant stick- I have found it to be a more consistent signal. I don't let zwift on my laptop connect the kickr for the "controllable" connection- only the power section and the cadence.

I then go back to the trainer road app on my phone and start pedaling. The kickr is broadcasting to the phone via bluetooth to both apps running simultaneously, and the phone is broadcasting to the laptop on wifi. I set my laptop and phone in front of me and start the workout.

One issue that I sometimes run into is the apps not being able to find the power meters/kickr. This is usually solved by having all the apps open, then turning off then turning back on bluetooth on my phone.

If you have questions on how to set this up let me know.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift and TrainerRoad Simultaneously [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
Yeah, sorry for my lack of precision - I was talking about receivers. Your setup works because your two Bluetooth connections are different. I don't believe you could connect your Bluetooth bridge to two receivers - my 4iiii HRM has a bridge, and once it's paired to one receiver (e.g., the 4iiii app on my phone), it can't be seen by any other BT receiver.

Right right, that is what I was trying to communicate in my first reply to this thread. There is a one to one connection for bluetooth devices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have powertap pedals so my guess is I started the zwift workout then opened the TR app so it picked up left pedal and zwift picked up right pedal via bluetooth. Maybe it didn't work in past because I didn't start program or something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, that's an interesting twist - I forgot about the independent channels on each pedal. I think the Vector 3s are the same. If it were me, I'd get the ANT+ bridge and connect one app to the bridge (indirectly to the pedals via ANT+) and the other directly to the pedals via Bluetooth. Then the order in which you start the apps shouldn't matter.

On a related note, I'm glad I'm not the only one who runs both. I like the workouts in TR but I like the experience of Zwift, plus I like how it calculates a reasonable distance based on your power. Oh, and dammit, I want that tron bike! :-)

Ian
Quote Reply