Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

looking for some bike workouts
Quote | Reply
Wondering if anyone has a good source for bike workouts? (other than zwift stuff) I feel like there is a ton of swimming and running plans, but not a lot with cycling.

I'm training for an olympic distance, hilly course (2000 ft elev gain), and shooting for sub 1:15 on the 40k.

Anyone have anything? I've used time crunched triathlete in the past, but looking for something different. I'm also curious how to break it up throughout the week. I have time for about 3-4 rides a week, totaling 100 miles. Do I want to do a speed work, threshold, recovery, and long rid?

I feel like I have swim and run training down, but for some reason haven't figured out the bike training part.
Quote Reply
Re: looking for some bike workouts [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad. Looks like they have a Climbing Road Race training plan. Also have OLY and 70.3 plans. Go with high volume option and you should be set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a power meter? Your answer might vary a bit depending on whether you do or don't have one.

I started off with "time Crunched, but about a month ago I picked up Friel's "Your Best Triathlon", which is essentially a practical implementation of the Triathlete's Training Bible. I like it so far, I'm only 2 weeks into the Base 1 training block and I'm sick this week. But there is a lot of good stuff on structuring workouts.

I'm combining that resource with trainer workouts on Youtube. I like the GCN / GTN workouts for a bit of structure, and there are others. Just browsed through youtube and found a few that align with the training goals for the block you are in. (dumb trainer, no power meter, so the lo-tech approach is fine for me right now).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you just want to see some workouts, you can find stuff on the internet and youtube. As mentioned the GCN youtube channel has several videos discussing specific workouts. Also, if you search TrainingPeaks on the web they have blog posts with workouts too.

As for books, the 2 go to ones ares The Cyclist's Training Bible and Training and Racing with a Power Meter.

If you want a season plan, it is not particularly easy to find free plans for cycling as it is for running. But, you can get a boat load of very good plans for cheap. TrainerRoad is the best bang for the buck. It is $12/mo ($99/r) and they have a million individual workouts and a ton of different training plans, including a huge number that are scaled for 3-4 rides per week.

Their plans are great. I use them year after year but if you study them, you can get the gist of what is going on over time with the progressions and changes in workout focus. If you are sharp, you can learn enough to cobble together your own workouts and plan but, frankly, spending the $99 is well worth avoiding that hassle. Its about 90% of what you would get having a coach for 1/10 the price.
Quote Reply
Re: looking for some bike workouts [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't have a power meter. It's on the list though. Along with time crunched, I'm also a financially crunched athlete haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
connan23 wrote:
Don't have a power meter. It's on the list though. Along with time crunched, I'm also a financially crunched athlete haha.

Ha! You and me both....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: looking for some bike workouts [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trainerroad looks awesome. How have I never seen this? Thank you! I am signing up right now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out their podcast as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I published a 70.3 training plan that has several bike workouts on it.
Take a look and cherry pick anything that looks good.
https://docs.google.com/...fiBEroGT6Jr/pubhtml#

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddies have had good luck w/ the virtual power. There are some awesome deals floating around these days on used PMs.

A PM + Trainerroad was hands down the single best triathlon investment I've made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t have a power meter and have been using the CTXC videos on YouTube to keep me entertained. I’ve enjoyed them so far. The feeling of passing other riders helps me feel like I’m actually in motion.
Quote Reply