Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flying with carbon wheel (single) as carry on - anyone done it??
Quote | Reply

I'm currently in a business trip and found an amazing deal on a single ZIPP 404 that i bought and would like to take back home.

Problem is, not exactly something i can pack - anyone ever flown with a single wheel? Should i get a wheel bag for it? I feel like if i carry it on without anything its a much smaller mass to look at than a huge bulky wheel bag.

I found another thread that someone posted last year, but it was split 50/50 on "its fine" vs. "its not"

Flying via Porter to Canada if it makes any difference.

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with carbon wheel (single) as carry on - anyone done it?? [416_CBass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot imagine how it would get through screening. If it did, they would probably gate check it (no cost, but still get thrown around).

What would it cost to ship it? You could probably get a wheel box cheap/free from a bike shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with carbon wheel (single) as carry on - anyone done it?? [416_CBass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There is little that has not been discussed on slowtwitch:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ane%20wheel#p6304527

Your welcome.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep - absolutely no problem. I fly very regularly domestically and internationally with my Zipp Super 9 disc as carry-on. It doesnt go easily into my bike box, so it is better to take as carry on. I always take the tyre and cassette off to minimise the size.

Fits into the overhead locker without a problem - only once had an issue, but it was on a small aircraft (an Embraer i think), but the stewardess was quite happy to put it in the hanging locker for me. Security always ask what it is but don't have an issue - they are concerned only with weapons etc not with size of items.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skewer in the suitcase...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never flown with a wheel, but if you are in first class you could probably put it in the small coat closet at the front of the cabin.

A nice flight attendant could definitely find a place for it but a someone having a bad day could give you quite a headache and make you gate check it-not ideal.

I would probably ship it if I were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally if I saw someone going through an airport/on to a plane with a ZIPP wheel bag over their shoulder, my first thought would be "what a d-bag"

I'd call up local bike shops in the area and ask if they've any spare cardboard wheel boxes, or even a bike box and fashion a box out of that. You can pack as much padding as you like inside and ship the box in the hold of the airplane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UPDATE: I decided to go the UPS route and are shipping the wheel up by itself packed in the box that it was delivered from the manufacturer and littered with FRAGILE and DO NOT LAY ON ITS SIDE stickers

Crossing all fingers that it will get to the other end unscathed and in one piece!!

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is going to be expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
416_CBass wrote:
UPDATE: I decided to go the UPS route and are shipping the wheel up by itself packed in the box that it was delivered from the manufacturer and littered with FRAGILE and DO NOT LAY ON ITS SIDE stickers

Crossing all fingers that it will get to the other end unscathed and in one piece!!

Have you checked with Bikeflights? IIRC, they have better rates than individuals get with UPS or FedEx due to volume discounts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you shipping from the US to Canada?
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with carbon wheel (single) as carry on - anyone done it?? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

FINAL UPDATE:

The wheel arrived via UPS shipping without any issues. I was charged some Duties and Brokerage fees, but still made the deal worth it!!!!

Hopefully this information helps other ppl in the future.

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply