Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Dan: are you saying that the author of the Triathlete Magazine opinion piece wrote her views about the TBI conference, without actually attending the conference?

She wrote about the opinions of Triathlete Mag staff that did attend, along with others with whom they spoke, according to her piece.

Dan’s rebuttal to that claim was just disbelief. Well, okay.

I should clarify that I’m in no way defending that poorly written & reasoned piece, nor the response.
Last edited by: dhr: Feb 6, 18 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
She wrote about the opinions of Triathlete Mag staff that did attend, along with others with whom they spoke, according to her piece.

Agree, she makes it fairly clear the article is based on those who did attend. How many of the staff attended?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dhr wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Dan: are you saying that the author of the Triathlete Magazine opinion piece wrote her views about the TBI conference, without actually attending the conference?

Which begs the question, why didn’t a member of that staff who attended write the piece assessing the conference? Failing that, why wasn’t a single member of that staff quoted by name? Quotes or names to these others with whom she spoke?

This was an industry conference with hundreds of attendees, yet the article from the most broadly circulated publication in the sport relies on essentially hearsay and vague sentiments, attributed to colleagues and friends, in the published piece on that conference.

It doesn’t make any sense and I don’t care how good or bad Dan’s response was because the simple fact that this person wasn’t even there is sufficient to completely discredit the underlying nonsense she published

Staying home and tabulating the gender of panel moderators from the conference schedule is a shot from the cheap seats and bunch of bull shit especially considering what went on there and what was actually said
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
dhr wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Which begs the question, why didn’t a member of that staff who attended write the piece assessing the conference? Failing that, why wasn’t a single member of that staff quoted by name? Quotes or names to these others with whom she spoke?

This was an industry conference with hundreds of attendees, yet the article from the most broadly circulated publication in the sport relies on essentially hearsay and vague sentiments, attributed to colleagues and friends, in the published piece on that conference.

It doesn’t make any sense and I don’t care how good or bad Dan’s response was because the simple fact that this person wasn’t even there is sufficient to completely discredit the underlying nonsense she published

Staying home and tabulating the gender of panel moderators from the conference schedule is a shot from the cheap seats and bunch of bull shit especially considering what went on there and what was actually said

You won’t get an argument from me, especially given the tone of the article.

That said, my opinion of all triathlon media is pretty low, so my outrage is tempered accordingly. My bigger problem is why I’m even commenting, which is something I need to work out.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

I have no skin in this particular fight, but I didn't find it odd that she wrote an op-ed from something she didn't attend.

She's the editor and she likely didn't want her reporters to write an op-ed about an event they were reporting from. Or have them quoted on the matter. They are supposed to be unbiased reporters just doing their job.

This is incredibly common ... think of any major news story -- a reporter is at the White House/some event, and they write a story about it. The editorial board or particular columnist then weighs in. They weren't at the press conference, in the briefing room at the white house, but they still write an opinion piece based on the situation.

Now, was the whole thing poorly handled/written? That's another story.
Last edited by: jeremyscarroll: Feb 6, 18 18:15
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who is trying to grow the sport it pains me to find a source, brand, business that isn't contributing to our sport.

In protest of no further hidden agendas I've unfollowed Trathlete magazine and removed my bookmark.

#FakeOpinions
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ironic thing is that the recently announced "time to tri" initiative clearly plays into the Triathlete Mag hands. We all know that after 1 year in the sport their trendy fad articles and ideas are regurgitated, so what better market than newbie triathletes? What once was a good mag has sadly denigrated to the lowest form of rag. From old, tired articles (often dated years before) to terrible amateurish graphics, it's value is zero to anyone who has spent more than a year (giving them benefit of the doubt) in the sport. While magazines struggle to survive in today's world, she advanced the downward spiral with her uninformed and childish article. I feel they (or she) won't be around too much longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the 35th Anniversary Issue of Triathlete at the Honolulu Airport a couple of weeks ago. It's a weak magazine. The articles are brief and not very interesting. One, however did catch my attention. It's on page 25. It looks like another in a series of one page articles, but it is in fact an ad for some kind of pseudo EPO. Holy hell. Is this the message Triathlete wants to send its readers?
As for Erin Beresini's opinion piece, she claims to speak for others, as yet unnamed. Her credibility as a journalist is lost on me. Unlike her, I can't speak for others.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
The ironic thing is that the recently announced "time to tri" initiative clearly plays into the Triathlete Mag hands. We all know that after 1 year in the sport their trendy fad articles and ideas are regurgitated, so what better market than newbie triathletes? What once was a good mag has sadly denigrated to the lowest form of rag. From old, tired articles (often dated years before) to terrible amateurish graphics, it's value is zero to anyone who has spent more than a year (giving them benefit of the doubt) in the sport. While magazines struggle to survive in today's world, she advanced the downward spiral with her uninformed and childish article. I feel they (or she) won't be around too much longer.

Shack. My feelings exactly. I used to really look forward to getting my issue in the mail, but I let my subscription lapse about 2-3 years ago when it was all style and no substance, all the time. I'll occasionally pick up one at the bookstore and leaf through it to see if there has been any improvement, but it seems to just get worse. There used to be great interviews and in depth race coverage, Q&A with Roch Frey and Paul Huddle, etc; now, racing is barely covered and instead it has the same faddish crap every month. This op-ed is just one more reason to totally avoid Triathlete Mag.

As an aside, I wonder if Dan has ever considered a Slowtwitch magazine? That would be awesome.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Shack. My feelings exactly. I used to really look forward to getting my issue in the mail, but I let my subscription lapse about 2-3 years ago when it was all style and no substance, all the time. I'll occasionally pick up one at the bookstore and leaf through it to see if there has been any improvement, but it seems to just get worse. There used to be great interviews and in depth race coverage, Q&A with Roch Frey and Paul Huddle, etc; now, racing is barely covered and instead it has the same faddish crap every month. This op-ed is just one more reason to totally avoid Triathlete Mag.

As an aside, I wonder if Dan has ever considered a Slowtwitch magazine? That would be awesome.

So true. I remember when Tri-Athlete was out, and then Triathlete and Inside Tri pushed each other to better mags. Then along came LAVA which took the graphic side to new heights. Sadly now, the photos are terrible as they use inexpensive and very amateurish sources and the articles are mainly retreads of articles,often from 2015 and older. Ad based and poorly done, I feel days are numbered (hopefully). They simply promote trends especially when the trend is from an advertiser. It really doesn't take much to see through their motivation......$$.

I would love to see Dan do a magazine, but I think he knows better.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:

There are people dumb enough to start a triathlon magazine but Dan is not one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

I get mine every Tuesday via email.....ST Newsletter.

Who needs glossy.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
spot wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

I get mine every Tuesday via email.....ST Newsletter.

Who needs glossy.

I'm a Luddite who really likes books and magazines over electronic versions 99% of the time.

Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

So true. I remember when Tri-Athlete was out, and then Triathlete and Inside Tri pushed each other to better mags. Then along came LAVA which took the graphic side to new heights. Sadly now, the photos are terrible as they use inexpensive and very amateurish sources and the articles are mainly retreads of articles,often from 2015 and older. Ad based and poorly done, I feel days are numbered (hopefully). They simply promote trends especially when the trend is from an advertiser. It really doesn't take much to see through their motivation......$$.

Are people aware that Triathlete was recently purchased by Felix Magowan, former publisher of VeloNews and Inside Triathlon? VeloNews is now owned again by Magowan, as is VeloPress and Competitor, which will maintain an online presence but will cease print publication.

I just did a search and Slowtwitch never did a story about the purchase of Triathlete by Magowan, although Magowan was mentioned in the Time to Tri story written by Dan on Saturday.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/economy/sd-fi-competitor-magazine-20171016-story.html

https://cyclingindustry.news/velonews-publishers-cycle-portfolio-sold-back-to-pocket-outdoor-media/
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Feb 7, 18 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

there is one guy who ought to be in the print mag biz right now, and that's the guy in it. felix magowan bought the publication arm of competitor group. to recap, ironman bought competitor group, which included rock n roll marathons. but you'll remember that andrew messick, ceo of ironman, didn't feel being in the publishing business was his mission. so, after he became the ceo, after ben fertic, he divested his company of lava magazine.

similarly, he divested his company of velo news, triathlete mag, velo press, to felix magowan, who was the previous owner of velo press (he bought it back 10 years after selling it to competitor group).

felix is the guy. now, let's say you dispute that, because of things you don't like about triathlete mag. bear in mind that he's only owned it for a couple of months. he's still busy hiring up staff. i think he's looking for a managing editor for triathlete mag right now if i correctly read what crossed my transom this morning from endurance sportswire.

i don't worry about triathlete mag with felix owning it. and i'm certainly not going to try to compete with him in the print biz.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Are people aware that Triathlete was recently purchased by Felix Magowan, former publisher of VeloNews and Inside Triathlon? VeloNews is now owned again by Magowan, as is VeloPress and Competitor, which will maintain an online presence but will cease print publication.

I just did a search and Slowtwitch never did a story about the purchase of Triathlete by Magowan, although Magowan was mentioned in the Time to Tri story written by Dan on Saturday.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/economy/sd-fi-competitor-magazine-20171016-story.html

https://cyclingindustry.news/velonews-publishers-cycle-portfolio-sold-back-to-pocket-outdoor-media/

Yes, I knew Felix bought it, but I was not sure as to when. Given it has been of late, I hope to see more of what he did with it in earlier years and bring some luster back. Sadly, it has gotten to the point where it simply seemed mundane, cheap and topics were owned by the advertisers. I'm pulling for him very hard, and if he needs a GOOD photographer............ ;-) (self serving plug)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Magazine's opinion piece on TBI conference [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
there is nobody who ought to be in the print mag biz right now

I think the above statement is closer to the truth, if running a profitable business is the intent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Yes, I knew Felix bought it, but I was not sure as to when. Given it has been of late, I hope to see more of what he did with it in earlier years and bring some luster back. Sadly, it has gotten to the point where it simply seemed mundane, cheap and topics were owned by the advertisers. I'm pulling for him very hard, and if he needs a GOOD photographer............ ;-) (self serving plug)

Maybe they should hire Talbot Cox, official photographer / videographer of the triathlon profamateur.
Quote Reply

Prev Next